• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Maccas Stop

Rooboy01

Am interested on how experienced Uber drivers handle requests to go via McDonalds knowing full well that one could get delayed waiting for the order or end up with food and drink spilt in the car !

sd1303

Am interested on how experienced Uber drivers handle requests to go via McDonalds knowing full well that one could get delayed waiting for the order or end up with food and drink spilt in the car !
If the restaurant is open (as opposed to just the drive thru)... offer to drop them off... they can rerequest when their order is ready.

If it is late-night, you have to weigh telling them “no” against how busy it is and the possibility of them dirtying your car.

As far as how to tell them no, use whatever your comfortable with... “sorry, it’s too busy out here for me to do a drive thru” works okay for me.

Be prepared for them to promise a tip in the app (don’t count on it happening) or offer to buy you food (your call).

Taksomotor

I had a bunch of those. But I always would just say sorry, I don't do drive ups. Also, if they added a stop, I say I can drop you off, but I have a strictly no food in the car policy. I soften it by adding that my wife almost divorced me over that, but I still enforced it even with her. Not an single bad rating came from that yet.

touberornottouber

The best thing to do is to do all you can to avoid them. With Lyft it shows you stops once you hit ARRIVE. Sometimes I will just cancel when I see a stop like that and drive away without making contact with the customer.

My belief on it is that once you tell a customer "NO" for anything you need to stick to your guns. If you don't more often than not they will just 1* you anyway because initially you told them "no". So you may as well earn that one star.

Good excuses:
- They already gave me another ride to complete after yours.
- I don't allow food in the car due to the risk of spills and bugs.
- I'm only paid an extra $1 for waiting 10 minutes.
- I can only wait up to 3/5 minutes and in my experience drive thrus take longer than that.
- I have to pick up my kids/wife/mom/dad soon so I cannot wait.

DriverMark

If it's bar closing time, surging, etc I go with "No, sorry it's the super busy time right now I have more rides I need to give." If it's a slow night and not much going on, I state: "If the line isn't backed up and it's quick, ok. But no eating in the car, save the food for when you get home please."

I don't mind stops, as long as they are quick, >3-4 minutes. Just me though and probably in the minority on the board here.

JimKE

I have a very firm, totally unyielding, policy. It depends.

If they are nice and are on a long or profitable ride, I will probably do drive-thru unless it's backed up. And that's obviously with the agreement that they are going to eat carefully and not make a mess.

If they are on a short ride, have put in multiple stops, are entitled or assholes, or just strike me the wrong way -- no.

Wonkytonk

Explain that you would like to but you are only paid $6.00 an hour for waiting.
On Uber that might work. In my market on lyft if I said that they would give me a confused look as if to say "And?" as though 6 dollars an hour was good pay.

I had one insist to me that 12 dollars an hour was great pay. She had a LOT of trouble, not unlike a lot of drivers actually, understanding that gross pay is not the same as net. To say nothing of the fact she thought 12 net was good pay, I suppose to her it was. That's the type of Pax lyft runs with here. People who can't really afford the base fare but take it any way because they don't want to take the bus.