Lying pax got my account suspended

tk90

Yesterday evening, I received an uber pool request from a 4.2 star rated passenger. When I arrived near King/Portland to pick up the passenger, I noticed that the passenger, a healthy-looking young girl in her 20s, had a small dog on a leash. I apologized and advised her that I was unable to take her as I had a slight allergy/sensitivity to dogs. She got very angry and demanded that I give her a ride, and stated that I had no right to cancel the trip. I drove away and cancelled the trip. Two hours later, my account got suspended and I received an email from uber stating that I was under investigation due to a report submitted by a passenger.

This morning, I received another email from uber advising me that a passenger filed a complaint stating that I refused to give her a ride because she had an assistance dog, and by doing so, she felt that I had discriminated her disability. There was a direct call back number in the email so I called and spoke with an uber staff. I explained to the uber staff that I was sensitive to dogs and that the passenger did not tell me that the small dog was an assistance dog, but had I known, I would not have cancelled the trip. I also explained that as the passenger was a young, healthy looking girl, I assumed that the dog was a pet and there was no indication that the passenger was in any way disabled. The uber staff kindly advised me that next time, it would be best to ask the passenger whether the dog is a pet or an assistance dog, and not to make any assumptions. I did not want to argue and knowing that the uber staff was just doing his job, I said okay. However, the uber staff did side with me and said that the passenger should have order uber assist and not uber pool, if she wanted preferential treatment. My account was immediately reactivated.

Lessons learned:
1. Don't accept pax with rating below 4.7
2. Get a dashcam with audio
3. Don't accept uber pool
4. Protect yourself. Always remember that there are low-lifes that will make false accusations to screw you over.

MoreTips

I'm glad you were reinstated. This whole disability dog nonsense is going to only get worse as more and more paxholes figure out they can get the driver in trouble with just a simple lie.

If you don't want to drive any dogs you should probably just drive right on bye if you see one, and if they sneak to the car with it, don't acknowledge it. Just tell the paxhole "I have to go, sorry I have a emergency at home. Never bring up the dog in this scenario.

i_k

Lesson learned:
4. Protect yourself. Always remember that there are low-lifes that will make false accusations to screw you over.

5. Don't pick up anyone near King/Portland. :wink:

But seriously, glad you got reinstated. The Uber rep was right, she shouldn't have ordered pool with a service dog.

deagl344

Lol i am allergic to dogs and cats on paper.
They cant force me to take anyones pets or assistance or service or emotional support dogs. Its purely at my discretion to be honest since the allergy isnt that severe but its there.
She ordered pool and wanted to take a dog.
Gtfo
She also forgot we ( uber drivers ) are private contractors not employees. We can do the job if we want to.
Next time tell pax to show that this is in fact a service animal they all have to have an id.
If they dont record the encounter in case of drama like this.
Dont let people walk all over you and your property

Jshawkat

Glad you got back online

I'll make sure to run her dog over :smiles: problem solved

Lol jk

But seriously people like that are annoying AF

Darshit

Yesterday evening, I received an uber pool request from a 4.2 star rated passenger. When I arrived near King/Portland to pick up the passenger, I noticed that the passenger, a healthy-looking young girl in her 20s, had a small dog on a leash. I apologized and advised her that I was unable to take her as I had a slight allergy/sensitivity to dogs. She got very angry and demanded that I give her a ride, and stated that I had no right to cancel the trip. I drove away and cancelled the trip. Two hours later, my account got suspended and I received an email from uber stating that I was under investigation due to a report submitted by a passenger.

This morning, I received another email from uber advising me that a passenger filed a complaint stating that I refused to give her a ride because she had an assistance dog, and by doing so, she felt that I had discriminated her disability. There was a direct call back number in the email so I called and spoke with an uber staff. I explained to the uber staff that I was sensitive to dogs and that the passenger did not tell me that the small dog was an assistance dog, but had I known, I would not have cancelled the trip. I also explained that as the passenger was a young, healthy looking girl, I assumed that the dog was a pet and there was no indication that the passenger was in any way disabled. The uber staff kindly advised me that next time, it would be best to ask the passenger whether the dog is a pet or an assistance dog, and not to make any assumptions. I did not want to argue and knowing that the uber staff was just doing his job, I said okay. However, the uber staff did side with me and said that the passenger should have order uber assist and not uber pool, if she wanted preferential treatment. My account was immediately reactivated.

Lessons learned:
5.Dont drive for uber

Mr. Wakko

This is the kind of situation that I honestly bring to myself. I'm glad you've got reactivated. About that excrement mistakenly associated with the human kind, I deeply wish that she can burn in the hell.

CDNcrippler1

They cant force me to take anyones pets or assistance or service or emotional support dogs. Its purely at my discretion to be honest since the allergy isnt that severe but its there.
Gtfo
She also forgot we ( uber drivers ) are private contractors not employees. We can do the job if we want to.
Next time tell pax to show that this is in fact a service animal they all have to have an id.
Actually it is illegal for you to turn down an assist animal. There was a citytv report months ago about cabbies not taking these animals but the thing is if this dummy actually had the dog for assistance she would have said right away and the dog should have been wearing a red assistant shirt thingy

tk90

Gtfo

I did tell her gtfo (in a nice way). That's why I got reported lol

deagl344

Actually it is illegal for you to turn down an assist animal. There was a citytv report months ago about cabbies not taking these animals but the thing is if this dummy actually had the dog for assistance she would have said right away and the dog should have been wearing a red assistant shirt thingy

Is assist dog the same as service dog; or is it some bs about emotional support.
In the states its either a service dog or emptional support dog. You dont have to take enotional support dogs as they are not trained, theyre just regular dogs and someone has fragile mind and cant be apart from their pet. Thats their problem.

Second if the driver has a documented case of allergy for dogs and cats ( like i do ) they can refuse to take dogs.

Third. Pax should always call if its ok to bring their pets. We are a ride sharing business imo we should be able to determine who gets into our car and who doesnt.

Furthermore, the pax really was just being a bi*ch. theres 8 ubers around every corner what she could have done was cancelled tried to get another driver, but why didnt she do that? Because she picked uber pool and her cheap ass would have gotten charged $5.
Plus uber pool should not allow dogs by default.

I could write an essay about this and i feel like i should stop here

tk90

Glad you got back online

I'll make sure to run her dog over :smiles: problem solved

Lol jk

But seriously people like that are annoying AF

You can run over the pax lol

Is assist dog the same as service dog; or is it some bs about emotional support.
In the states its either a service dog or emptional support dog. You dont have to take enotional support dogs as they are not trained, theyre just regular dogs and someone has fragile mind and cant be apart from their pet. Thats their problem.

Second if the driver has a documented case of allergy for dogs and cats ( like i do ) they can refuse to take dogs.

Third. Pax should always call if its ok to bring their pets. We are a ride sharing business imo we should be able to determine who gets into our car and who doesnt.

Furthermore, the pax really was just being a bi*ch. theres 8 ubers around every corner what she could have done was cancelled tried to get another driver, but why didnt she do that? Because she picked uber pool and her cheap ass would have gotten charged $5.
Plus uber pool should not allow dogs by default.

I could write an essay about this and i feel like i should stop here

Actually, I cancelled the trip for her and didn't even charge her

dmoney155

Question, doesn't real assistance dog has some kind of permit thing, or plaque or something so that someone can't claim out of a blue that the pat is for assistance?

Yam Digger

Lessons learned:
IMG_0886.GIF

JohnSavage

I had same happen to me (temp deactivation, etc.).

Uber rep gave me good advice when I was reactivated. You are allowed to ask 2 questions.

1. Is your pet a service animal?

2. What task is it trained to perform?

It is illegal (and rude) to inquire regarding the person's disability. However, these questions are legal and reasonable, as they pertain to the animal. If both questions are answered it is most likely illegal to refuse the ride. If they can't answer these questions satisfactorily tell them you don't take pets and drive off.

This is what Uber rep told me.

JanMarkus

Once a rider called me to inform me that she was bringing a tiny dog. I immediately cancelled (I don't think tiny dogs can become service dogs). Another time, I picked up an old lady about midnight. She was waiting at the curb with another lady(presumably her daughter) with a tiny dog. The old lady came.into the car then with precision the younger lady handed the dog to her! I was about to protest when the old lady told me not to worry as she has a carrying bag for the dog! If she was younger, I would have kicked her out of the car. But alas, I had more compassion for old ladies who are trying to get home in the middle of the night.

shadow4478

Service dogs should be highly trained
I feel like any person with a service dog will tell you up front. Problem is they are large ie. a golden retriever. In my case it would fit in my hatch which is lined with rubber.

If I had to put it on the front seat I would take the advise above and just keep on driving.

Then again I would take a service dog over a drunk about to throw up in my car