1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Lying Ass Uber Drivers @ Nocturnal Wonderland a

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by painfreepc, Sep 7, 2015.

1. painfreepc

painfreepc

Driving:
    UberX
    Lying Ass Uber Drivers @ Nocturnal Wonderland,
    I an not going to talk about the over saturation of drivers or the amount of time it takes to get back to uber parking lot to pick someone else up, lots of post here covering that aspect,

what I wish to talk about is the Lying ass uber drivers talking about the amount of money they make,

last night a lady driver pulls into a parking spot behind me, the guy parked next to her ask how much money did you make here last night, she said about $500 and he said oh that was for last night right, but how much you make for the whole day, she said about $700,

So a few minutes later someone else parked and comes up to where we are and starts talking, he said he made nearly $900 for the previous day and night and about 6 hours this morning, he said he did not work the after-noon, he also said he is looking to make $300 to $500 tonight for a two total of $1200 to $1400, my eyes roll back up into the back of my head, I say to myself what the f*** is this guy smoking,

I started talking privately with another guy who drove a small SUV, I told him I don't see how these drivers make all this money I am not seeing it,

he asked where do I drive and how much money do I make, I told him I'm lucky if I clear $140 on rare occasions I make get close to $200, he said you should make more than that in LA and the OC, what kind of hours do you drive,

I said about 5 p.m. to 3 a.m. Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, occasionally I will start on Wednesday so that's five days, he says that's very good hour's how can you only make $140 that's not possible,

I Said the $140 is whats left after uber's cut, I told him if i make $200 in fares and if i did 20 rides, my take is only $140, $200 -20% = $160 -20x $1.00 srf = $140 and i still have not deducted the gas, wear and tear and maintenance on my car and let's not forget depreciation,

(don't believe I said "depreciation", yes it had taken me about 8 months to get it, i will be lucky if i can sell my 2015 ford fusion se hybird for $5,000 in late 2018 and i can't pocket that money, i will need to use that money as down payment for another car)

he looked at me like i just came from a ****en other planet,

so i asked the next obvious question how much money do you make and what hours and where do you drive,

he says i live in Redlands, i mostly drive in Hollywood and Santa Monica, i start at 12 noon and try to end at 3 a.m. ( That's not a typo, yes he said 15 hours plus the hour to come back to redands, so thats 16 hours) and I normally make about $300 for the day,

I Said Thats 15 hours dude, how many days do you do that,

he said 5 days, Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday and Saturday, i don't work sunday because i go to church,

so I said, let me guess, you do about 30 trips per day and you take home about $210 Per day after uber's cut, I also stated that I am an experienced transportation driver so I know you're doing close to $50 to $60 in gas per day driving that suv, if not more, so your actual take home is about $150 per day not including wear and tear and maintenance on your car,

I said you do realize you're doing 15 hours per day so that's minimum wage, once again he looked at me like I guess came from another planet, like I just Beamed down from Starship Enterprise and have no idea what planet I am on,

I said I realized that's pretty good money about $750 per week but how long do you think you can keep doing that and not burn out,

I tell him, I am an 11 year taxi driver I've done 80 to 100 hour weeks, no way in hell can I do that again at 53 years old,

he looks like he's about my age,

I don't know what's going on with some of you Uber drivers, but you are just straight up bull****ting and living in a fantasy land.

I forgot to add even though he drives a small SUV he admitted he mostly only gets uberX request..

what is my point, well it looks like the drivers that don't work a lot of hours straight up lie about how much money they make,

And the drivers that do work a lot of hours, well they work insane hours, so God help us out there on the road.

sorry about any typos or grammar problems writing is not my best skill.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  2. Jam Val

Jam Val

Driving:
    UberX
    Any driver that claims they make that much money in MY market is full of it. I wish they'd quit telling RIDERS that they make $1K a week. I'm honest. I say the money can be good but you gotta bust your ass and then be realistic by deducting gas and taxes.

3. hrcabbie

hrcabbie

Those lies may explain lack of tips.

BostonTaxiDriver, Emp9, Cathi and 6 others like this.
  4. painfreepc

painfreepc

Driving:
    UberX
    yes i do the same, that's why i throw in the small suv driver, yes you can make good money, but look at the hour he drives, he has no life..

Uber-Doober likes this.
  5. These drivers have no business sense at all. They are gas is my only expense drivers. They drive around hoping nothing ever goes wrong, like brakes, tires, transmission and the list goes on.

It's like GM saying they had 100 billion in revenue and their only expense was the 2 gallons of gas they put in each car to get it the door so their profit is 99.99 billion and they can ignore all the other costs.

6. William1964

William1964

How my supposed to say ice had an expensive $0.42 worth of brake pad today

how my supposed to say I had an expensive $0.69 worth of transmission wear today

how am I supposed to say I had an expense of $0.14 worth of tire wear today

it's not an expense until you spend that's the point you expend then it's an expense

I can't go around telling people okay I made 250 bucks and spent $15 gas $0.43 tire $0.16 transmission and eight cents brake pad its f****** stupid

Even if you ask me how much you made last month all I can give you is f****** gas.

I'm certainly not going to deduct $0.87 on my tax form simply because I were $0.87 out of my tire but didn't buy new ones

Now if you ask me what I spent in a year once again it may only be gas because I didn't have brakes done I didn't have my transmission service I didn't buy new tires

You guys got a problem

However you know it and I know it there's some idiot out there who has to put brake fluid transmission fluid and Aaron is tired everyday before work

It sounds smart it doesn't trust me

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    MarkR likes this.
  7. elelegido

elelegido

Suppose you use your car for one year, for Ubering only. At the start of the year it has no mechanical problems and it has new tires. You drive 364 days without spending a penny on maintenance, consumables or repairs and your revenue less gas figure for those 364 days is $15,000. So you figure your profit is around $300/week.

Then, on day number 365 you do a $10 net ride. During that ride, because the tires are worn down to the steel belts, all four of them blow out. Just as they blow out, your transmission goes and needs replacing. New tires and a new transmission set you back $3,000.

By your logic, would that mean that on day 365 your profit is $10 - $3,000 = a net loss for that day of $2,990? I'm not saying your accounting is right or wrong, just wondering how the logic works.

Cathi likes this.
  8. William1964

William1964

Unless I need $82.50 that $3,000 expense write-offs going to reduce my taxes I'm going to wait until the next year thank you

Better yet hello IRS I know it December 31st but today my transmission tires and engine went out and because everything is closed I haven't spent the money to fix it but I would like to write it off my taxes not as depreciation but as an expense when I actually spend the money on January 1st next year

9. elelegido

elelegido

Ok... whatever works for you!

One of the main purposes of proper accounting is to match expense with revenue and therefore get a true picture of profit. But at the end of the day, if you account properly, or improperly, or don't do it at all it still won't make any difference whatsoever in the amount of (pre-tax) dollars you have in your bank account.

grams777 likes this.
  10. Nocturnal Wonderland

drivers who went over there are pretty much @@@@@@s

I love how drivers waste their time

11. William1964

William1964

God damn son you must work for NASA

12. William1964

William1964

Hello IRS I have an imaginary tax return here I need to fill out and sent to you

If it makes you feel better or worse to plan you're going to have expenses by all means plan to have expenses

I don't care how you put it it's not an expense until you spent for it. I think the entire planet of uber drivers is aware their car needs maintenance from time to time

Try as you might I am NOT a believer of your religion I will take note of an expense when I spend 4 and not until then

My car has a computer that tells me I have 45% life left in my oil I know that when 25% more of it is wasted I will have an oil change but I'm not going to account for it until I spent for it.

Does that make any sense to you

Sebikun20 likes this.
  13. JMBF831

JMBF831

Driving:
    UberX
    Since I'm a business major (and you clearly need help) I will help you.

Break things down to the basics.

Tires, 45,000 miles ($600)
    Oil change, 5,000 miles ($35)
    Brakes, 45,000 ($500)
    Transmission flush, 45,000 ($100)
    *This doesn't include other repairs or depreciation, but at it's basic level we have something to work with so that you wrap your brain around cost.

Total: 600 + 35(9) = 315 + 500 + 100 = $1515 every 45,000 miles. So, depending on how often you drive...

45k miles a year for Uber? That's an additional $1515 (at the very least) per year
    22.5k miles a year for Uber? That's an additional $760 (at the very least) per year.

$1515 / 12 = $126.25/month, minimum.
    36k miles a year is $101/month, minimum for wear and tear?

I already know what you're going to say, too. "But bro, how do I know how much or when these costs will take place"

Simple answer, you don't. So what you do is set aside a percentage when RAISER pays you. Every month. My example was for 4% of the miles you drive.
    36k * 4% = $1440, or $120/month.

But again, 4% of your miles driven is not even the true bare minimum. Car depreciation and other mechanical repairs need to be considered. Personally, I always set aside 7% for this reason.

I hope you learned something...

14. JMBF831

JMBF831

Driving:
    UberX
    To OP:

The drivers that are dumb and prideful (from your story) make us look like we are rich when we really aren't. I know it doesn't sound "sexy" to say "Yeah, I make a little more than minimum wage and I am cool with that." It's much sexier to say "Yeah I made $800 this week!"

Huberis, JLA and frndthDuvel like this.
  15. elelegido

elelegido

Cost accounting, which we've been discussing up to now, is entirely different from financial planning.

Anyway, there are lots of concepts in accounting that may not make a lot of sense to the untrained - such as recording expenses before the money leaves one's bank account, or double entry bookkeeping, where the cash you receive into your bank account is a debit, not a credit.

But for those who want to see how much money they are actually making on a daily, weekly etc basis, studying and understanding how to run the numbers is a pretty sensible option.

JMBF831 likes this.
  16. elelegido

elelegido

I don't think we should be too hard on the guy or other drivers who don't understand this

17. William1964

William1964

My spreadsheet has all those numbers man I plan my future better than anyone else here just look at my facebook page you think all that traveling and fun just happen without it

MarkR likes this.
  18. MarkR

MarkR

Driving:
    UberX
    When I'm asked I tell them it's enough to go to a.c with

19. MarkR

MarkR

Driving:
    UberX
    You know I was doing a spreadsheet to but now I use triplog. Very easy. with this app you can add expenses like gas mileage, etc.. you should check it out. my uncle turned me on to it.

20. elelegido

elelegido

JMBF831 is getting a little confused - working out cost per mile or per day, week whatever has nothing to do with putting money aside for or planning expenses. It can help in administering this, but that's not why you do it. Just like depreciation; its purpose is not to save up for a new car to replace the one which is being devalued.