• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Lyft's new in-app google gps sucks!

BurgerTiime

Don't get me wrong, I love how there's instant guidance and it's definitely much safer but the destination and actual location of pin are way off. Half block to 2 blocks difference.
The guidance will take you to back of buildings and pass easy entrances to areas guiding you the long way.

Then passengers take it out on YOU like it's your fault. Mmm hello we follow what the tech tells us!
To this day passengers don't know we just follow what it shows.
What are they going to do with self driving cars? How are they going to solve this major issue? Rate them low too? Lol!

Last edited:

jiglum

Don't get me wrong, I love how there's instant guidance and it's definitely much safer but the destination and actual location of pin are way off. Half block to 2 blocks difference.
The guidance will take you to back of buildings and pass easy entrances to areas guiding you the long way.

Then passengers take it out on YOU like it's your fault. Mmm hello we follow what the tech tells us!
To this day passengers don't know we just follow what it shows.
What are they going to do with self driving cars? How are they going to solve this major issue? Rate them low too? Lol!

I tried Google inside of Lyft and you are right it is awful and not just for navigation issues but you not only dont have full Google Maps functionality, you dont have full Lyft app functionality. Basically you are just a bot on autopilot at that point. Uber has done a much better just with their Uber Navigation, but still not perfect

You can go in and change the settings to just regular Google Maps. the problem is I think Lyft probably developers used the API from google maps from about 2 years ago.

fairsailing

I thought it was okay, nothing great. It was slightly more convenient. But I had to switch back, when I declined a bunch of calls, it would heat up my phone so quickly and badly, that I could barely touch it. It must have been trying to preload each offer map or something, it was bad. I have a Google Pixel. Now I have to deal with the permanent nag screen, trying to get me to switch back to the integrated app.

(I have always had to look at final approaches to destinations, they are often slightly off in all apps I have used.)