1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Lyft wants staff to take a spin behind the wheel

Discussion in 'News' started by FormerTaxiDriver, Dec 1, 2017.

1. FormerTaxiDriver

FormerTaxiDriver Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Lyft puts up billboards across the US to thank its drivers.

Photo by Lyft
    Melissa Waters decided to try something different a few months ago: She drove for Lyft.

She had the usual experiences of picking up riders and dropping them off. But she also had unexpected moments, like when she bonded with a passenger or met someone interesting. She also found driving tougher than anticipated.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/lyft-wants-all-staff-to-take-a-spin-behind-the-wheel/

2. Blatherskite

Blatherskite Well-Known Member

It's so cute when the gentry have a day out with hoi polloi.

d0n, the ferryman, Nats121 and 8 others like this.
  3. STMNine

STMNine Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Since she/they are probably using vehicles and insurance provided by the company, it's not necessary for them to factor in stuff like driving expenses and depreciation unlike us actual drivers--"virtuous cycle"... more like vicious cycle. So yeah, something tells me that this won't result in changes for the better.

4. SurginGeneral

SurginGeneral Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    4 hours every three months, for those who want to save a click.

Not a bad practice. You don’t see Uber doing this...

5. FormerTaxiDriver

FormerTaxiDriver Well-Known Member

Like mandatory "community service" hours.

I'm almost sure they won't be taking just any ping the system throws their way.

Perhaps carefully crafted time calls, sitting at the airport, or just sitting with the app open?

6. mikes424

mikes424 Well-Known Member

Good idea. Uber should follow

It always helps when the powers that be, in any business, actually experiences what the workers actuality go through.

Cary Grant, MoreTips, Hugo and 3 others like this.
  7. Bubsie

Bubsie Active Member

Trivial bit of code to give the employees "volunteering" super premium pings, with very little down time. Perfect ping on way out, and perfect ping to return to the office. Just a little less business for those actually doing this day in and day out.

8. Ride-Share-Risk-Manager

Ride-Share-Risk-Manager Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I am still waiting for any Lyft employee to take me up on my offer to allow them to drive for me in the South Bronx or Paterson or Newark NJ at 2 am on on Saturday night. That is where driving for the actual Lyft passengers gets real and these entitled little Lyfties can get a real world experience of driving for Lyftdiculous.

9. mariasuber

mariasuber Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It should be a mandatory 4 hour behind the wheel session in addition to 4 hours of phone support. Keep it real.

10. dirtylee

dirtylee Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Local Uber employees including do managers drive. Even Rachel Holt drives a few pax around.

They don't care about the money they make which is the real problem with uber.

Uber as it is today is pretty good. It's a taxi service. Now & always.

Driver pay needs to be raised substantially.
    We need to see pax destinations on ping again. The service has enough drivers to cover damn near everything now.

mrpjfresh, doggerel and MoreTips like this.
  11. The Gift of Fish

The Gift of Fish Well-Known Member

"Ed, a longtime Lyft driver who asked that we not use his full name, said Lyft shows it appreciates drivers."
    Ed obviously hits the crack pipe on a regular basis.

"When he hit a high number of rides, the company gave him an "expensive" black waterproof windbreaker, he said."
    I sold mine for $20 on ebay. Expensive jacket? No.

"And Lyft's destination filter, which lets drivers pick up passengers along their route six times a day, is a "big help," he added."
    It's a great help if you want to backtrack and/or drive around in circles. It's non-functional. Like the mermaid figureheads on old ships, it serves no useful purpose other than decoration.

PickEmUp, AntAF, the ferryman and 5 others like this.
  12. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

When do we get our 4 hours OFFICE TIME ?

When ?

Attached Files:

13. polar2017

polar2017 Active Member

Wonder how much $$ Lyft paid to have this article published.

the ferryman, ea30, MoreTips and 2 others like this.
  14. emdeplam

emdeplam Well-Known Member

Should help san Francisco driver shortage

thatridesharegirl and tohunt4me like this.
  15. Primeonly27

Primeonly27 Member

Driving:
    UberLUX
    Such BS! What they need to do is ride with a driver for a whole day see how little they make and all the cancellations. Drive for 10 minute to get a ride and a minute before they get their the ride is canceled. Then get another ping and do it all over again.

MoreTips and JimKE like this.
  16. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

I was with you 100%...right up until here. You've obviously never spent extended periods at sea on sailing ships!

Nats121 likes this.
  17. GT500KR

GT500KR Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Or the 48 Buick "Gunsite" hood ornament.

18. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Actually, they do. Don't know if it extends to upper management, but the GLH CSRs have to, every month. And they have to take every ping that comes along.

19. roadman

roadman Well-Known Member

Lyft is ****.

PickEmUp and AntAF like this.
  20. CarterPeerless

CarterPeerless Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL

Give me 4 hours of their salary. That would be better than any day I've ever had on Lyft.

In the end, no one should fall for this bull****. These people aren't dependent on the money. They are not trying to make rent. They are not delaying maintenance on their vehicle because they had a medical bill that ate up all the Lyft pennies. They've never lived a Lyft Christmas. They have never stretched the day an extra 5 hours because the first 10 didn't produce enough income to cover their needs.

It's a very different experience when you drive because you need it to live; than it is driving because your six-figure job requires it (once every three months...).

doggerel, Jo3030, AntAF and 4 others like this.