Lyft, Uber to reimburse riders for surge prices during Seattle shooting

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Uber and Lyft criticized for automated surge pricing after Seattle shooting
BY TAYLOR SOPER on January 22, 2020 at 10:37 pm

Prices on Uber and Lyft rose to as much as five times normal rates in the immediate aftermath of a deadly shooting in downtown Seattle on Wednesday evening.

The automated “surge pricing,” which kicks in during periods of high demand, lasted for about an hour and drew widespread criticism before the companies manually reset prices to normal levels.

This is not an uncommon occurrence after shootings and other emergencies around the world. The ride-hailing companies have taken steps to speed up their manual override systems to end surge pricing in such situations, but the Seattle shooting shows that there is still a significant lag in that process.

A Lyft ride from downtown Seattle to the Wallingford neighborhood, for example, cost more than $100 after the shooting, according to a screenshot posted on Twitter.

EO7gsL4UUAAv5T2.jpeg

The shooting occurred around 5 p.m. PT outside a McDonald’s and left one person dead and seven others wounded.

Users saw ride prices skyrocket on both Uber and Lyft after the shooting.

EO7pG7_UYAALShf.jpeg

An Uber spokesperson told GeekWire that Uber turned off surge pricing around 6 p.m. PT for an area spanning around a one-mile radius from the incident. We’ve reached out to Lyft for comment.

EO8UZ2PVUAEeHtv.jpeg

EO7s78NUcAAMCgJ.jpeg

Update, Jan. 23: Here’s a statement from a Lyft spokesperson:

“The shooting in Seattle is tragic, and our thoughts are with the victims and their families. When we learned what happened, we implemented a cap on prime time pricing, which is automatically enabled during periods of high demand. We plan to reimburse or credit users in the surrounding area who were affected by this increased pricing.”

EO8WOrIU4AEWblb.jpeg

Fuzzyelvis

Uber and Lyft criticized for automated surge pricing after Seattle shooting
BY TAYLOR SOPER on January 22, 2020 at 10:37 pm

Prices on Uber and Lyft rose to as much as five times normal rates in the immediate aftermath of a deadly shooting in downtown Seattle on Wednesday evening.

The automated “surge pricing,” which kicks in during periods of high demand, lasted for about an hour and drew widespread criticism before the companies manually reset prices to normal levels.

This is not an uncommon occurrence after shootings and other emergencies around the world. The ride-hailing companies have taken steps to speed up their manual override systems to end surge pricing in such situations, but the Seattle shooting shows that there is still a significant lag in that process.

A Lyft ride from downtown Seattle to the Wallingford neighborhood, for example, cost more than $100 after the shooting, according to a screenshot posted on Twitter.

View attachment 406083

The shooting occurred around 5 p.m. PT outside a McDonald’s and left one person dead and seven others wounded.

Users saw ride prices skyrocket on both Uber and Lyft after the shooting.

View attachment 406086

An Uber spokesperson told GeekWire that Uber turned off surge pricing around 6 p.m. PT for an area spanning around a one-mile radius from the incident. We’ve reached out to Lyft for comment.

View attachment 406087

View attachment 406088

Update, Jan. 23: Here’s a statement from a Lyft spokesperson:

“The shooting in Seattle is tragic, and our thoughts are with the victims and their families. When we learned what happened, we implemented a cap on prime time pricing, which is automatically enabled during periods of high demand. We plan to reimburse or credit users in the surrounding area who were affected by this increased pricing.”

View attachment 406089

So as a pax if you're close to a shooting you can ignore the price the app quotes you, secure in the knowledge that you'll get reimbursed.

As a driver you MAY get some surge besides the added on dollar amount you were quoted...but you may not.

If you cancel too many rides because they're close to the shooting and you don't know if the shooter(s) are still at large you will STILL be deactivated.

So they cut off surge for a mile radius? If there was surge outside there, then why would any driver get close?

Cold Fusion

Escaping an Active Shooter by
entering an Uber?
Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire 🔥 ✔

Police identify the 2 suspects sought in downtown Seattle shooting
Both were arrested in 2018 and charged with drive-by shootings and unlawful possession of a firearm, according to court documents filed in King County Superior Court. Former Uber drivers from @Ian Richard Markham ”Baller” list ?

A third unnamed suspect has been arrested

Last edited:

TheDevilisaParttimer

My question is, who the hell hears gunshots and their reaction is to request an Uber/Lyft?
Well my ccw trend is well over 500 reply’s we drivers are packing.
Post automatically merged:

entering an Uber?

Both were arrested in 2018 and charged with drive-by shootings and unlawful possession of a firearm, according to court documents filed in King County Superior Court. Former Uber drivers from @Ian Richard Markham ”Baller” list ?

Is it wrong that I get pissed every time I see a black person was responsible for a news headline. 😤

Last edited:

radikia

entering an Uber?

A couple of very fine looking gentlemen !

radikia

Imagine my surprise when a couple of abused RS drivers went Postal and the companies that caused it tried to make a buck !

troothequalstroll

What kinda idiot drives during these events?

And that's probably best time to be willing to pay more to GTFO of the area

What kinda of idiots would request a cab during these types of events?

Run a mile away genius snowflakes

Well my ccw trend is well over 500 reply’s we drivers are packing.

Is it wrong that I get pissed every time I see a black person was responsible for a news headline. 😤
Same way I laugh when every pedophile, serial killer, school shooter, kidnapper, mass shooter, cop killer on the news is white(cops murder themselves more than "criminals" do lol), add ethnic cleanser, war criminals, pillow case rapists, Golden State rapists.....

So nope not wrong to be pissed the hypocricy is amusing to me though guess you skip those portions of "news" coverage

Last edited:

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So as a pax if you're close to a shooting you can ignore the price the app quotes you, secure in the knowledge that you'll get reimbursed.

As a driver you MAY get some surge besides the added on dollar amount you were quoted...but you may not.

If you cancel too many rides because they're close to the shooting and you don't know if the shooter(s) are still at large you will STILL be deactivated.

So they cut off surge for a mile radius? If there was surge outside there, then why would any driver get close?
What kinda idiot drives during these events?

And that's probably best time to be willing to pay more to GTFO of the area
So to answer the question "Who would drive in this?"

Many. Ants flocked to that scene and got as close as they could, even with the active shooter(s) on the loose and police covering the area. The reason is the city shut down all city transit. That only leaves rideshare as an option. That area was surging like crazy. No place else was. It was a decision many drivers had to make.

Its mid January. The Great Ant Starvation has begun in Seattle. The desperate attempts to not become part of the 96%.

2019-11-13-21-59-49.jpg

WindyCityAnt

The CPD would have easily gunned them all down. No doubt about it. Woulda rolled like 50 squads deep surrounding a massive perimeter from the location.

The public transit was shut down there as Lisseti said(local vet fellow ant) People needed to gtfo at any price. Which makes sense. Drivers were hero's to pax, Prolly wont be able to say that ever again.

Invisible

So to answer the question "Who would drive in this?"

Many. Ants flocked to that scene and got as close as they could, even with the active shooter(s) on the loose and police covering the area. The reason is the city shut down all city transit. That only leaves rideshare as an option. That area was surging like crazy. No place else was. It was a decision many drivers had to make.

Its mid January. The Great Ant Starvation has begun in Seattle. The desperate attempts to not become part of the 96%.

View attachment 406162
No I wouldn’t have gone near that scene. With my luck, I would’ve had one of the shooters as my pax. I can’t believe how high Lyft was at $249. Yet they probably gave those drivers squat.

Hans GrUber

You won’t get deactivated for cancelling! This is the biggest myth about Uber and the fact people believe this makes me sad.

njn

suspects often request rides after committing a crime.

no mention if the drivers will keep their fares.