Lyft took back their extra payment (FYI)

touberornottouber

So around NYE they had some kind of problem where I cashed out and got the cash out but for some reason they thought I didn't and sent me a notice about how my deposit failed. Then a couple days later they sent me a ACH deposit to pay by alternate means and they forced me to change my payment info.

Well today it looks like they took back their extra $20. Just a warning to those of you who had something similar happen. In my case it was $20 but for some of you I bet it is several hundred. Be ready for the to take back that money today!

O-Side Uber

I remember Uber paying me twice by mistake a few years back. It took them about 2 weeks to figure it out , but they grabbed it right out of my checking account . Thankfully I didn’t spend it ! I doubt any of us will ever get free money by mistake from U/L and actually get to keep it. They will always grab it back and likely sooner than later. Don’t ever spend it!

DriveLV

There have been a number of threads this week addressing the same issue - Lyft saying instant pay failed (it didn’t) then processing the payment again as ACH. When drivers contacted Lyft about it they were told by the rep they could keep the double funds.

I’ve been telling posters that they shouldn’t believe Lyft and that Lyft will eventually come back after the money (either withdrawing the ACH directly or a negative balance in their weekly Lyft for the driver to work off). Looks like it’s happening.

I’m assuming Lyft has not even contacted you about it? They just went and withdrew the additional funds without notification? They are a class act 😡 I wonder how many overdrafts Lyft will cause by lying to drivers about the funds and then trying to take it back without notice.

Disgusted Driver

I remember Uber paying me twice by mistake a few years back. It took them about 2 weeks to figure it out , but they grabbed it right out of my checking account . Thankfully I didn’t spend it ! I doubt any of us will ever get free money by mistake from U/L and actually get to keep it. They will always grab it back and likely sooner than later. Don’t ever spend it!
Back in the day when we got a percentage of the fare, they took 20% for Uber X and 28% for Uber Select. For a 6 month period they screwed up and were only taking 20% on Select. We were all smart enough not to say a word or post anything so it went on for a while. I probably got $500 out of that. When they discovered it, they sent an email but didn't claw back the money.

touberornottouber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There have been a number of threads this week addressing the same issue - Lyft saying instant pay failed (it didn’t) then processing the payment again as ACH. When drivers contacted Lyft about it they were told by the rep they could keep the double funds.

I’ve been telling posters that they shouldn’t believe Lyft and that Lyft will eventually come back after the money (either withdrawing the ACH directly or a negative balance in their weekly Lyft for the driver to work off). Looks like it’s happening.

I’m assuming Lyft has not even contacted you about it? They just went and withdrew the additional funds without notification? They are a class act 😡 I wonder how many overdrafts Lyft will cause by lying to drivers about the funds and then trying to take it back without notice.
They finally sent me a message about it via email but they took the payment back early this morning and the message was only from 3 hours ago. So no advance notice whatsoever. That is why I made this post ASAP -- to warn others.

Daisey77

They finally sent me a message about it via email but they took the payment back early this morning and the message was only from 3 hours ago. So no advance notice whatsoever. That is why I made this post ASAP -- to warn others.
Once it's in your account how can they legally go in and take it back out? I can see them stopping the payment but once it's in your account?
Post automatically merged:

Didn't driver support say to go ahead and keep it? Was that an email or phone call?

TGK

Once it's in your account how can they legally go in and take it back out? I can see them stopping the payment but once it's in your account?
Did you read any of the paperwork when you sighed up to drive??

peteyvavs

So around NYE they had some kind of problem where I cashed out and got the cash out but for some reason they thought I didn't and sent me a notice about how my deposit failed. Then a couple days later they sent me a ACH deposit to pay by alternate means and they forced me to change my payment info.

Well today it looks like they took back their extra $20. Just a warning to those of you who had something similar happen. In my case it was $20 but for some of you I bet it is several hundred. Be ready for the to take back that money today!
I‘ve suspected for sometime that some IT techs have been stealing from drivers.

DriveLV

Post automatically merged:

Didn't driver support say to go ahead and keep it? Was that an email or phone call?
Anytime you authorize ACH deposits, there is always fine print that authorizes them to withdraw.

It doesn't matter that "support" said to keep the additional funds - "support" isn't authorized to allow you to keep the funds, so anything they told you along those lines is invalid. I have caught "support" in lies multiple times - and anytime I call them out on it they say "the last rep was wrong but what I'm telling you is right" or "they weren't authorized to allow/tell you that so it's incorrect".

These companies will do whatever suits them best - ethics and courtesy be damned!

That said - I don't believe the drivers should be entitled to keep the over payments. But Lyft shouldn't have lied to drivers telling them they could keep it. And Lyft should have provided advance notice of the withdrawal.