1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Featured Lyft thinks we should accept every ride request

Discussion in 'Lyft' started by PickEmUp, Aug 6, 2017.

1. PickEmUp

PickEmUp Active Member

IMG_2744.jpg

How does not accepting a request create delays? Let's say I am five minutes away and driver B is ten minutes away. If I don't accept the request, it goes to driver B. If I am offline, the request goes to driver B. The passenger doesn't see any delay or any difference.

Bad impression of "the community?" The passenger never sees my name or knows anything about me, so I must not be part of "the community."

This message from Lyft is about control. Lyft wants us to accept every crappy request because they don't have enough drivers or pax. Here is a tip for you Lyft. It is called cause and effect. I maintained at least 90% acceptance rate for several months and you paid me a 20% bonus. This week, you changed the bonus structure and made it nearly impossible to earn the same dollar amount in bonuses. This week, my acceptance rate dropped below 60% as my priorities changed. Cause = change in bonus structure. Effect = drop in acceptance rate. Actions have consequences.

2. Certain Judgment

Certain Judgment Well-Known Member

I get those nastygrams all the time too.

3. Jamesp1234

Jamesp1234 Well-Known Member

Lyft's definition of a "typical driver" is that they never miss ANY trips.
    Never met one yet...

4. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    The only time I've missed a request is due to a problem with the app (such as the conflict with a request on the app and SIRI or a phone call). I have a weekly 100% acceptance rate. You can too.

Uber Crack, sharknado523 and Scoom like this.
  5. pvtandrewmalone

pvtandrewmalone Well-Known Member

Typical yes...of a Lyft driver in early 2014.

Those messages have been around since the beginning of Lyft. They are not realistic today considering what Lyft and Uber have both become. They need to be reworded or better yet just get rid of them.

These messages came out when it was $2.10 a mile, and drivers saw destination on the ping. This messages came out when they could deactivate for low acceptance. Times have changed but those messages have not.

You'll get a series of those messages over the next 3 weeks. Each one will say "we are reaching out to you for the second /third time. The messages are mimicing how a corporate manager might write to an insubordinate employee... since they know a lot of drivers have experience being employees, not independent contractors.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017

6. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Then I think you're missing the point.

When a user is making a request, their app shows them the expected wait time before the request is made. If you are the closest driver and you let the request lapse, and the next driver is much farther away, then the actual pickup time will be substantially higher than the app originally estimated. Plus, the pax is forced to wait for the ping to expire before the system can even find them another driver.

As a passenger, it really pisses me off when I am expecting a 3 minute pickup that suddenly becomes 10.

If you don't want to take requests, log out of the app. If you are not accepting requests, why are you even logged in? This is a business, in the business of providing rides. What are you doing here?

Airy, NashVegas-J and Actionjax like this.
  7. pvtandrewmalone

Cry me a river. There is a reason it's called an estimate.

There should be no assumption that just because a car is online it is going to take your request.

8. dnlbaboof

dnlbaboof Well-Known Member

maybe if so many riders didnt have god awful ratings on top of pool higher acceptence would come

9. Wiseleo

Wiseleo Member

Simple solution: let drivers of multiple classes choose to set their class. Drivers who despise Line can't opt out.

I did not have the chance to login to Lyft last night in SF. My Uber XL-only profile kept me busy non-stop 7:30pm-4:00am with a continuous chain of XL rides (I only had a couple of short breaks toward the end). 19 trips, with one delivery when I forgot to turn that off in the app, and one discounted Pool ride at the end of the night for the second part of an XL trip after we dropped off some people midway.

I never skip Lyft Plus requests. I choose to not accept other requests, which reduces my acceptance rate artificially. Lyft can nag us all they want, but until they offer ability to select class of requests, they will be impacting the network with unrealistic expectations.

So... Lyft has a superior airport solution. Its algorithms are pretty good at stacking me with extra Plus rides. Now they just need to make it easier for drivers to accept only what they want. :)

10. pvtandrewmalone

Yep...I do the same thing at the Jersey Shore (ignore anything not Plus). Gotta love when Uber is surging 2.5X and Lyft sends me non-Primetime Line 25 minutes away in the lower fare zone....I'll get right on that.

11. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Actually, that SHOULD be the assumption from the customers point of view.

AFAIC if a driver is not accepting requests they should get a time out. If you want to work on the platform, then accept rides. Pretty simple to understand this concept. At the moment, the only "penalty" is lack of bonus.

12. RideShareJUNKIE

RideShareJUNKIE Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Raise Rates to Raise Expectations. Most Pax know whats involved in this game we play daily. Unfortunately the drivers and pax are the ones that it gets taken out on. Both sides beef is with the company(s), but these company(s) just deflects and continue on their rampage. There would not be this many COMPLAINTS if things werent true.

The fact that they thrive on stupidity and taking advantage of another persons disadvantage is a core issue (sure we voluntarily signed up to drive, but not for what it has evolved to today. We drive the business, literally. The app is a company with no regard, and even more BS to boot. We all want to make money, that we can agree on, so until its molded into what it should be (regulated), this song and dance will continue. Im not holding my breathe.

The first 6 months I was compliant and obedient to the wishes of the company and pax. The more i continued the more I got taken advantage of, the more opportunity for ridiculous behavior, and it wore me out (as its supposed too, the way the business model was designed.) Why do they both want the silly driverless car ? (expense/retention/regulations) Drivers were ok with it because the rates were good back in the day. They are lucky we are still around to take pax, and yes we are lucky to have the app to match us with pax ($$). Dont be so suprised, this isnt 2015.

You know, I use to get frustrated at cherry pickers, now its the only way to protect weekly income (I dont claim to be an expert, because we all continue to learn as we gain more experiences). You have to use all the tools you have to protect your income. All these problems go away with EMPLOYEES. They cannot have their cake and eat it too. We are not that stupid (or maybe we are). Now that I have experienced the drivers side, I hope I never have to use the service (and I have not til this day). IMO. Sorry for the long post.

happy motoring fellow drivers!

LEAFdriver, Mista T, KellyC and 6 others like this.
  13. polar2017

polar2017 New Member

I have an acceptance rate of 63 percent with Lyft in New Jersey. 1000 plus rides.
    This Saturday I was at 48 percent.
    Only take pings under 8 minutes away.

14. Gooberlifturwallet

Gooberlifturwallet Well-Known Member

People have no goddamn patience anymore. You can't wait 10 minutes for a car? Try calling a cab just a few years ago because they were the only alternative to being a responsible adult and owning a car or riding the bus with the rest of the dregs of society. People these days are simply unbelievable. Mommy and daddy gave me everything immediately as I asked and you are going to give me everything immediately to or I'm going to judge you and give you one star and have you fired. Mostly petulant children millennials. That or Uber spies and now Lyft spies on every forum everywhere on the interwebs.

Wesleyrian, BillC, bedouin and 21 others like this.
  15. Certain Judgment

How do you get an UberXL only profile? And can you change the setting back to accepting UberX rides during slow times?

If I am in a prime time zone and the ride request is not marked up, I am not accepting. It's that simple. If the ride request is more than 3 miles/10 minutes away, I am not accepting. It's that simple.

Amen.

UberAng, mrDEE630, anteetr and 2 others like this.
  16. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    It's called welcome to 2017, and this is how it is now.

17. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Member since yesterday....

TEN MINUTES!

The horror!

18. Certain Judgment

With an attitude like that it probably takes you 20 minutes to get picked up, as no driver except for a very desperate one would take somebody with a 4.1 star rating average like you.

19. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    PTZ: assuming your acceptance is under 90 and you therefore lose your $220/week bonus, then you have to make up a lot of PTZ rides just to compensate. That makes no sense.

As to the rest: you are contracting with Lyft to provide a car where they send you.mat the moment they only real penalty is denying your bonus. How do you feel about being suspended for low acceptance rates? If everyone felt as you do, that's what the company would have to do. 3 miles/10 minutes to much? That's absurd.

LOL I'm a 5 star. Thanks.

20. Certain Judgment

In my market there's only 10% and 20% bonuses. Even when power driver bonus was attainable in my market and the algorithms weren't stacked against my achieving it, my best 20% bonus only amounted to about $160.

The average 10% bonus I received pretty much every week until pdb was altered in March of this year was about $40. I can get that same amount in one or two cherry picked rides. As an independent contractor I have the right to refuse as many rides as I want to.

More than 3 miles/10 minutes IS absurd for the driver, as I am compensated only about $0.95 per mile with you in the vehicle, and I get compensated nothing to come pick up your sorry behind. I'm not driving my car into the ground to chase a ridiculous distance ride request. I can't control the app choosing to be unreasonable. It has no respect for my profitability.