• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Lyft supports us & tips

Manotas

Did anyone else got this email???

Lyft Supports You

People have a lot of opinions about tipping. With the recent news about Uber's choice not to support tips for drivers, we wanted to share why Lyft thinks differently.

We started Lyft with the idea of building a community that takes care of each other. And thanks to your help, that idea has grown into a movement of people who love saying thanks for great service. It can be with a simple kind word, a ticket to join them at a ballgame — or a tip in the app, which 70% of Lyft passengers have given.

Just like with the rest of the Lyft experience, we set out to make the tipping experience super easy. By building it into the app, drivers have no need to ask for tips, which is awkward and ineffective.

Together, Lyft passengers have tipped $85,000,000, with 100% of that money going straight to drivers like you.

As leaders in the industry, it's our responsibility to give people the options they want, and create a culture of mutual respect. In addition to our philosophy on tips, it’s why we pioneered Express Pay, Power Driver Bonuses and Express Drive. Thank you for helping us build a community we are all proud to be part of.

John & Logan
Lyft Co-founders

Yeah I got it, look at the wording though. It says '70% of Lyft passengers have given[a tip]" which just means a passenger had to give a single tip just one time to be included in that stat. It definitely does not mean Lyft passengers give tips often, or that drivers can expect tips from 70% of their passengers. I've been tipped by maybe 25% of my passengers, after 180 rides.

With Uber I've been tipped maybe 10% of the time by the 70 rides I've given, and the amount they've given me is nearly equal to the amount I've gotten from Lyft passengers. I was once very much against Uber, but I've been making double to triple the pay with them as long as they have some sort of incentive going on, and their incentives last for at least 4 hours at a time, compared to the 2-4 hour blocks Lyft MIGHT do. I'd say be open to Uber for the time being, I'll never drive for Uber for less than 1.8x surge price though. Luckily they are guaranteeing that minimum a lot this week.

volksie

Yeah I got it, look at the wording though. It says '70% of Lyft passengers have given[a tip]" which just means a passenger had to give a single tip just one time to be included in that stat. It definitely does not mean Lyft passengers give tips often, or that drivers can expect tips from 70% of their passengers. I've been tipped by maybe 25% of my passengers, after 180 rides.

With Uber I've been tipped maybe 10% of the time by the 70 rides I've given, and the amount they've given me is nearly equal to the amount I've gotten from Lyft passengers. I was once very much against Uber, but I've been making double to triple the pay with them as long as they have some sort of incentive going on, and their incentives last for at least 4 hours at a time, compared to the 2-4 hour blocks Lyft MIGHT do. I'd say be open to Uber for the time being, I'll never drive for Uber for less than 1.8x surge price though. Luckily they are guaranteeing that minimum a lot this week.
You'll change your tune....
Tips galore with Lyft if you're good with people & the riders are just as sick n tired of Uoober as the smart drivers are.

AllenChicago

From the post that started this thread, what is this sentence referring to?: "With the recent news about Uber's choice not to support tips for drivers, we wanted to share why Lyft thinks differently."

What is the "recent news"? Uber never did have a TIPPING option on its customer app, did it?

AllenChicago

They're referring to the lawsuit settlement in which Uber agreed to let drivers post awkward signs about tipping in lieu of just adding a tip function to the app.

Total morons.
Well, if Uber didn't allow "OK To Tip Driver" signs before the lawsuit, isn't allowing them to post signs now considered a step in the right direction?

Manotas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No. It isn't.

It's insulting to the drivers and the passengers.

If a driver posted a tacky, rude sign about tipping in his car, I actually wouldn't tip him.
Some may actually tip the drivers, others might be offended by the sign and lower the driver's rating... As part of the settlement Eewber still can eliminate a driver for low ratings as long as they give them a heads up (I'm sure part of the heads up will be: Higher rated drivers don't post signs).

I drive Lyft only and get tip about 25% of the time and all I have to do is provide is good service, clean car, and chilled 8oz water bottles

djangoswango

I'm loving Lyft so far. I have 86 total rides in the past 3 weeks.

yesterday I had someone cancel after I had already arrived and was waiting outside their house. I emailed Lyft after my shift and immediately got a response and $5 credited to me.

Thanks Lyft!

Leftright?

Awesome treatment, thanks Lyft!
This is how it should be done, with respect :cool:
And yes plenty of tips everyday

beezlewaxin

The "recent news" is referring to a blog post by Uber on the medium.com website:

https://medium.com/@UberPubPolicy/our-approach-to-tipping-aa0074c0fddc#.gsauuqmn7

Our approach to tipping
Last week, we settled two class-action lawsuits in California and Massachusetts. As part of that settlement, we agreed to clarify our approach to tipping, so here goes.

When we started Uber six years ago, we thought long and hard about whether to build a tipping option into the app. In the end, we decided against including one because we felt it would be better for riders and drivers to know for sure what they would pay or earn on each trip — without the uncertainty of tipping.

That’s still the case today. Tipping is not included, nor is it expected or required. In fact riders tell us that one of the things they like most about Uber is that it’s hassle-free. And that’s how we intend to keep it.

In addition:

• Studies have shown that the connection between tipping and quality of service can be weak. Many people tip because it’s expected — even if service is bad. And tipping is influenced by personal bias. Whether consciously or unconsciously, we tend to tip certain types of people better than others. This means two people providing the same level of service get paid different amounts. With Uber, drivers know that they earn the same for doing the same trip, no matter who they are or where they’re from.
  • Tipping could give drivers an incentive to spend more time where tips are likely to be highest — typically the wealthiest neighborhoods. We’ve worked hard to provide a service that reliably serves entire cities and is not just concentrated in central business districts.
All that being said, some riders want to tip their drivers. While we estimate it happens on only a very small percentage of trips in the U.S., riders are free to offer tips and drivers are welcome to accept them. Again there’s nothing new here.

We’re more than happy to explain how we think about tipping. But it’s important to note that last week’ssettlement has not changed our approach in any way. In it, we simply agreed to “clarify [our] messaging regarding tipping … that tips are not included on Uber’s platforms (except on UberTAXI), and that tipping is neither expected nor required” within 180 days after the settlement receives final approval.

Other ridesharing apps do have a built-in tipping option. That competitive pressure means that we have to demonstrate Uber offers more stable, reliable opportunities to earn money than the alternatives. And that’s what we are focused on: ensuring that Uber is the best experience for drivers across the world.

AllenChicago

July 11, 2016

Has anyone noticed a decline in the number of tipping passengers since July 1st? I'm thinking the passenger app interface could have changed. Only 2 tippers out of 21 rides is really unusual for me. Hopefully it was just a strange week, and this one will be back to normal with 3-4 out of 10 tipping.