• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Lyft Scheduled $3 Trip - RFLOL

Ziggy

Someone picked this up ... SMH. But seriously, rideshare companies need to set a reasonable minimum for scheduled rides. Needless to say, I'll never pick up anything less than a $20 scheduled trip (and that's low - I prefer $50+).

UberBeamer

You know there's got to be some driver out there who grabs this and thinks they scored it before anyone else and counts themselves lucky.

These customers must really think we're interested in going out of the way for peanuts. Hmmm, who knows, maybe this big spender is planning on leaving a large tip. Right across the street from the high school...OK, probably not.

Jay Dean

I always wondered when the apps post "this rider scheduled this in advance" is that supposed to make us feel obligated? wtf cares they scheduled it in advance lol, does it lean more toward "they are not high" do not get it.

Furthermore, not just on these rides but when I roll up I get the freakin Morse Code with the porch light, its like three flashes then a flash, WTF movie did you just watch? Either you get in by 5 minutes or I am leaving, ffs..Pax confuse me. Does anyone know porch light Morse Code yet?

wilsonz83

I always wondered when the apps post "this rider scheduled this in advance" is that supposed to make us feel obligated? wtf cares they scheduled it in advance lol, does it lean more toward "they are not high" do not get it.

Furthermore, not just on these rides but when I roll up I get the freakin Morse Code with the porch light, its like three flashes then a flash, WTF movie did you just watch? Either you get in by 5 minutes or I am leaving, ffs..Pax confuse me. Does anyone know porch light Morse Code yet?
Nobody teach me that yet!

UberBeamer

That's a new one to me. I'm glad you mentioned it before I've encountered it because I'm not sure what I would have translated that to mean.

Aha...I think I figured it out. Apparently Uber exposes some web services to allow people to integrate their connected devices with Uber through services like IFTTT (If This Then That). For instance, on IFTTT, there is an applet to "Blink your lights when your Uber is arriving at your home" amongst others. I have something similar set up to blink a light in my living room when the Spurs are playing using an ESPN service. It has a very distinct blink pattern that would seem very odd if someone were doing it manually. The thing is, there is always a little bit of a delay. So it's probably running the applet when the Uber app notifies the rider and it takes a minute to execute, so it blinks right around the time you're pulling up or shortly thereafter.

I'm betting that's what's going on here because the alternative that multiple people are sitting there flipping their front porch lights seems much more bizzare. Occam's Razor in action.

Last edited:

TNCTopher

Scheduled rides using an on-demand app? Brilliant. Even though the two ideas are diametically opposed.

At least Uber is smart enough to only schedule the request versus Lyft, who packages up the entire ride and promises that you will get first priority for pickup. Early they would just dissappear and that was after I somehwat planned for the pickup, i.e. make myself available and not be on another potential ride.

Just anothere reason why Lyft is the 5th best TNC currently operating in Austin!

Here is what I do; I put as many of those in the My Pickups tab and then I don't take any of them. What an absolute mess.

TNCMinWage

I purposely ignore those “this ride was scheduled in advance” in hopes the pax gets screwed with no ride. Usually they are airport rides when I get them - and there’s been times when I’m only driver around so I am hoping they have difficulty getting to airport. Screw u Uber pax!

jester121

That's secret code -- it means "lay on your horn for about 15 seconds to wake up the neighborhood."