• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Lyft rental damage

Ami Vegas

A buddy of mine (not me!!) recently ran over a large curb, (no pax involved) did a significant amount of damage (scratches) and is scared that if he makes a claim or goes to renew, that he won't be able to get another vehicle. Thoughts?

JC17

There is a 1000 deductible and if he makes claim he will be deactivated until things are fixed and won’t. be able to rent another car through lyft i have a buddy that works at the rental place

jafi_112

A buddy of mine (not me!!) recently ran over a large curb, (no pax involved) did a significant amount of damage (scratches) and is scared that if he makes a claim or goes to renew, that he won't be able to get another vehicle. Thoughts?
Really not much to think about, it's kind of a no brainer. Your "friend" caused damage to someone else's vehicle. I think your "friend" should man up and accept responsibility for his actions.

beezlewaxin

I think they will give him another car initially. They may do something different once they investigate the incident.

I was in a head-on collision and they gave me a new car before they saw the police report and before they had any proof I wasn't the at-fault driver and it was before the other driver's insurance company accepted responsibility.

For all Hertz knows initially your friend may have hit the curb while swerving to avoid hitting something worse, like a kid suddenly running into the street or maybe a stray dog.. I don't think they would not give him another car in that circumstance.

I have had a rental that has obviously ran over a large curb at some point prior to me getting the car. The damage to one side at the bottom of the unibody near the jack points was severe but not noticeable unless your head was near the ground. I pointed out this pre-existing damage during my next inspection and they noted it and that was that. This car had lots of scratches too that were noted when I first got it.

Last edited:

uberxone vegas

I will give you i mean your buddy the best advice report it to the ins and let the them take care of it..that is whst ins for.

Last edited:

Coolrider101nk

I recall doing the walk around on my 3rd Lyft Hertz rental. We joked about it being pointless to mark it up because they have the power to say you damaged it more than the prepaid existing and the reverse is true. If you do some minor damage and don't go in with an attitude they have the power to ignore it within reason or at least minimize it.

I recall seeing their list of standard charges for damage fees. They have lots of room to be nice or rip you off.

beezlewaxin

Is the damage only to the paint? Or is there body damage as well?

Has your buddy gotten any estimates from body shops so he knows what he's dealing with?

It sounds like the damage is not bad enough for a pax to report it.. Or is it that bad?

If the damage is entirely located beneath the bottom of the doors it's probably not as noticeable as you would think.

I think your buddy should report it to the Hertz afterhours phone support first and get an incident #. While doing this he will be speaking to someone that will barely be familiar with Express Drive and you can ask this person how Hertz handles these types of situations. Keep in mind if he is driving pax that perhaps a complaint was made so there could be a date on record and he wont want to give conflicting information. Although in reality Hertz will probably not involve Lyft during their investigation.

I reported my accident on a Sunday morning to Hertz via telephone
Of course I was also afraid I wouldnt get a replacement car so I did all my errands on Monday and Tuesday and I brought the car in on Wednesday morning.

They were fine with that and just had me fill out an incident report form. I told them I had already made a report over the phone and they were like, cool, just write the report# down somewhere on this report.

They never asked me anything about who was at fault or about the other party and they didnt ask me if I had a police report or anything.

I don't think the local office employees are responsible for making the decision about a replacement car. They simply dont have *any* facts until an investigation is performed and that isn't their job.

There are so many situations where what you described could happen because of somebody else.

Maybe your buddy had to swerve to avoid hitting a reckless motorcyclist and that is why he ran up on a curb. Unfortunately in an event like that it would probably be impossible to read the licplate of the reckless driver and maybe he figured a police report wasnt necessary.

The local office employees aren't gonna make a decision on this. They will probably just give your buddy a replacement car and let corporate worry about what happens next.

I was online at the time of my accident but did not have a ride in progress. Was your buddy online at the time? You mentioned he did not have a pax but had he accepted a ping? Or was he completely offline?

Since he can pick a time he can answer this question either yes or no depending on the time he gives them and if GPS agrees so be careful with that. A little known fact is that the primary reason Lyft cracked down on GPS spoofing a while ago was related to Insurance.

Last edited:

Azazel

We need pictures the damage might not even be that bad and you can fix it or it might be horrible and we could always use a laugh.