Lyft Rates Change for Vegas

PrestonT

I quit Lyft last month due to the obscene number of drivers in Vegas. So glad I did.

I was taking Lyft as filler while driving Uber. What got me wasn't their dropping the rate, but the completely dishonest reason they gave for dropping it.

Taxi2Uber

I was taking Lyft as filler while driving Uber. What got me wasn't their dropping the rate, but the completely dishonest reason they gave for dropping it.
So..wait..you drive for Uber? You go into rants about how you loathe cabbies because you read some longhauiling stories, but you're OK with, support, and are partners with Uber, that is doing the EXACT SAME THING with upfront pricing, charging pax for longhaul routes? Then you, in turn, longhaul to maximize your cut from Uber's ill-gotton fare. You are no better than the cabbies you demonize. Time to accept you ARE the cabbie you despise.

Taxi2Uber

I don't agree with Uber, but at least they tell pax in advance they are long hauling.
LOL. Are you for real?
Uber offers pax a price, but they certainly DO NOT tell them that price is based on a longhaul route. Most pax still have blind trust in Uber and have no idea they are getting screwed. When I tell (sometimes show) pax the "real deal", they are either puzzled, shocked, or flat out ticked off!!

Michael-MS

LOL. Are you for real?
Uber offers pax a price, but they certainly DO NOT tell them that price is based on a longhaul route. Most pax still have blind trust in Uber and have no idea they are getting screwed. When I tell (sometimes show) pax the "real deal", they are either puzzled, shocked, or flat out ticked off!!
You (or Uber) can't longhaul an upfront pricing fare. The two terms contradict eachother.

If the driver chooses to take the longer distance route, it is always freeway over side streets with traffic lights in the same time or faster. This means the Pax is getting a smoother, more comfortable, and safer ride for the same cost. This is not the definition of long hauling where a cab driver turns a $20 fare into $60. How or why are you even comparing the two?

Taxi2Uber

You (or Uber) can't longhaul an upfront pricing fare. The two terms contradict eachother.

If the driver chooses to take the longer distance route, it is always freeway over side streets with traffic lights in the same time or faster. This means the Pax is getting a smoother, more comfortable, and safer ride for the same cost. This is not the definition of long hauling where a cab driver turns a $20 fare into $60. How or why are you even comparing the two?
What the driver does is not the issue. Uber is, often times, charging pax a price based on a longer, more expensive route. That route typical uses freeway, which may or may not be faster. Maybe the pax doesn't care if its faster. Maybe the pax would prefer the cheaper, more direct route. Most still assume that is what they are getting.

If a cabbie sells the $60 route as the faster, smoother, safer way than the $20, even if the pax agrees, it is still longhauling, since the cabbie didn't also mention that the route is longer in distance. (Definition of longhauling)

That is what Uber is doing. Giving a price for a longer route, without informing the pax. They just say its based on "a variety of factors". How many pax, if given the option of paying $20 for a direct route, which might or might not take 5 minutes longer, would knowingly pay $60 to get from A to B.

What Uber is doing and what a crooked cabbie is doing is essentially the same thing. I was pointing this out to Preston since he bashed all cabbies, yet willingly and joyfully partnered with Uber, which I find hypocritical.

PrestonT

LOL. Are you for real?

Do you also yell them uber's "longhaul" costs less than half your cheapest route? In between palpitations of tip hustling, of course.

Last edited:

Michael-MS

What the driver does is not the issue. Uber is, often times, charging pax a price based on a longer, more expensive route. That route typical uses freeway, which may or may not be faster. Maybe the pax doesn't care if its faster. Maybe the pax would prefer the cheaper, more direct route. Most still assume that is what they are getting.

If a cabbie sells the $60 route as the faster, smoother, safer way than the $20, even if the pax agrees, it is still longhauling, since the cabbie didn't also mention that the route is longer in distance. (Definition of longhauling)

That is what Uber is doing. Giving a price for a longer route, without informing the pax. They just say its based on "a variety of factors". How many pax, if given the option of paying $20 for a direct route, which might or might not take 5 minutes longer, would knowingly pay $60 to get from A to B.

What Uber is doing and what a crooked cabbie is doing is essentially the same thing. I was pointing this out to Preston since he bashed all cabbies, yet willingly and joyfully partnered with Uber, which I find hypocritical.
So you're in an uproar because Uber is charging $15 instead of $12? Such an outrage from the cheap ass Pax point of view. :p

The reason drivers don't like it is because Uber changed the pay from 25% fare to base miles and minute. And they make more than us sometimes, nevermind 25%. That's the issue. Not cheap ass Pax who still get rides at less than 1/2 price cab fares for better nicer cars.

gerg

Give it time, if uber still exists. Most of these rideshare drivers have no clue, as anyone can see by reading so many of these posts that show what rookies these rideshare drivers are.

Taxi2Uber

So you're in an uproar because Uber is charging $15 instead of $12? Such an outrage from the cheap ass Pax point of view. :p

The reason drivers don't like it is because Uber changed the pay from 25% fare to base miles and minute. And they make more than us sometimes, nevermind 25%. That's the issue. Not cheap ass Pax who still get rides at less than 1/2 price cab fares for better nicer cars.
I'm in an uproar? Who knew? LOL
The driver has always been paid based on miles and minutes, only now, with upfront pricing, the two are not related. While it is AN issue, it is not THE issue I was talking about.(not sure why you're picking a fight with me) Upfront pricing actually gives drivers some freedom to choose a more efficient route than Uber suggested route (like taking back road rather than Uber suggesting taken the strip on Saturday night) and it can result in higher pay for the driver in some instances. Again, not the issue I was referring to, and you continue to combine the two.
Uber fares used to be 1/2 price cab fare, but I have seen on several occasions, upfront base pricing equaling the price of cab fares. The "cheap ass Pax" just don't realize it. BTW, the cab I drove was newer and nicer than my current uber car.