Lyft Personal Power Zones

Arizlyft

OK. I have been a Phoenix Lyft driver for 2 years now and I want to share some thoughts with the new personal impotent zones. Lyft states, "We have listened and made improvements..." -First off let me stop there. Who did they listen to? Was it one driver complaining? I tend to believe they were listening to the Board and majority shareholders who are demanding more profit. -Second...improvements? Bahaha. I am basing my thoughts on spending a week with the PPZ. I accepted every ride for fairness. My findings in the app are this:
  • In the rider payment breakdowns over the week Lyft is making 32% MORE than the average over the last month.
  • They said in their "test market" drivers were making more bonuses. Where did they test market and I have written to see those test results...have not heard back. My average bonus amounts over the last 6 months on JUST Friday and Sat were $37 each friday and each saturday $75 combined. This weekend with the PPZ, my bonus total was $13.38...that is the TOTAL folks.
  • I had two rides where I had to travel over 13 miles avg last night (Sat) just to pick up and go about 6 miles for the ride itself. One was at 2:17am the other at 3:02am. The 3:02am had me travel ACROSS ASU and into Scottsdale (16.2 miles total) and when pinged it said "100% Prime Time"...weird since there is no PT. On the breakdown I made $4.60 for the ride, no tip..and a $2 adjustment for how far I had to go. So I made just $4.60 in fare and Lyft got paid...$21.76.
  • Sure Lyft still charges the customer for PT/Surge but I got ZERO bonus.
I used to put in 10 or more hours on a fri/sat night and easily clear no less than $160 with about 35-50% PT rides...this weekend my total pay WITH tips was $132 TOTAL.

Welcome to the new and improved Lyft where the drivers are forced to turn off their apps to search for a PPZ while the customers wait time increases and increases. Congratulations Lyft share owners for finding a way to stress out drivers, lower customer service and increase demand with less drivers on the weekend.

doyousensehumor

Like always, doing what the app suggests is not in the drivers interest.

Best stratagy now is:
Don't drive rushhour
Reject calls over 5mins away.
Dont chase urine clouds.
Don't chase PPZ.
If you relocate, get closer to a freeway. Better odds that the fare you get will take you on freeway. Freeway miles still pay.

indydriver68

I tried the new PPZ for the first time last night. PPZ has only been in Indy since 4/22/19. It’s kinda neat to watch it increase but that’s where anything good about it ends. Lyft is utilizing this to put more of the riders payment in there pocket and to move and force drivers to where they want them in order to do this. We all get the how and why and believe like Uber if Lyft’s lips are flapping about benefit to the driver it is all lies!! The real benefit is to Uber or Lyft!! This is nothing new. But what I find amusing is that the bonus starts at $3.63 increases to $3.92 and then “bam” here come the requests....18 mins away, 21 minutes away, 14 minutes away, 13 minutes away, same 18 mins away one comes around for another round even though I declined it already...guess Lyft is hoping 2nd time around is a charm...lol. Is Lyft that ignorant that they truly believe that $3 or $4 bucks is going to motivate any driver to drive more than 5 mins away to pick up a most likely short ride?? They must have pictures of Walt Disney World with captions “Hopes, Dreams and Wishes do come true” all over the walls of the room they think this shit up in. Now Lyft riders get to wait even longer to get picked up since prime time that equalized the demand and ensured a rider could get a ride when they wanted because the driver knew the multiplier percentage and it was transparent vs drivers now feeling like they are being bent over. Wonder how many of the riders still have that smiling face that they have in the picture they posted to their account now after not being able to get a ride without waiting 20 to 40 minutes to get it ? Oh well ?

Last edited:

doyousensehumor

I think it will benefit the drivers--- a lot of other drivers will quit, freeing up fares for the ones that are left!

PPZ's don't make us more efficient. It is a way to get the drivers to accept inefficient fares.

Arizlyft

I think it will benefit the drivers--- a lot of other drivers will quit, freeing up fares for the ones that are left!

PPZ's don't make us more efficient. It is a way to get the drivers to accept inefficient fares.
Even if they quit...we still get small bonuses for longer rides. And the pax wait time increases...forcing them to taxis or Uber. So I disagree it is better for drivers long term.

Arizlyft

Small bonuses for regular rides? How do we get that?
I was referring to the ppz bonus. Even if you are the lone driver in a city you would still only get the small bonus if you turned off the app and drove to your ppz then on again to get pinged for a $2.62 bonus. The old bonus would have given you 300% or more of the total ride with that high of demand.

doyousensehumor

Here is what airport bonus looks like now. Did one for the **** of it. Even after longhauling it, Pax paid twice what I got. Lyft is hiding how the fares are calculated now, too.
20190429_023624.jpg

hulksmash

Yes. Sad. The bonus was an incentive to work at less desirable times and areas. I will not work weekend nights anymore when I can make just as much during the day.
Maybe this is the intended effect. Under the old system drivers bumrush the higher demand areas and times leaving the surrounding areas underserved. Although the suburbs and other areas may not surge, there are still pax that need rides. By equalizing pay rates Lyft is hoping you won’t discriminate one area over the other.

There will be drivers who realize you can make just as much during the day and work then, and there are still drivers who prefer driving nights, even at base rates, simply because there is more volume and less traffic. As it is now I usually always position myself in the same areas depending on time of day. This is make you more likely to take rides wherever they go

Arizlyft

Good points but supply and demand should dictate bonus areas. It makes no business sense to me that Lyft would prefer to have 50 requests in a square block wait while the one in the burbs gets a quick ride. My main problem, however, is that those 50 people would pay 2x-3x the fare while we would only get about $2.50.

IR12

Like always, doing what the app suggests is not in the drivers interest.

Best stratagy now is:
Don't drive rushhour
Reject calls over 5mins away.
Dont chase urine clouds.
Don't chase PPZ.
If you relocate, get closer to a freeway. Better odds that the fare you get will take you on freeway. Freeway miles still pay.
I know right? Focusing on Lyft's goals is insane. EVERYTHING Lyft directs drivers to do is all about manipulating them to achieve LYFT objectives.

If drivers want to take more money home they must avoid the trap of following Lyft's program & be guided only by what their own goals & strategies are.

hulksmash

Good points but supply and demand should dictate bonus areas. It makes no business sense to me that Lyft would prefer to have 50 requests in a square block wait while the one in the burbs gets a quick ride. My main problem, however, is that those 50 people would pay 2x-3x the fare while we would only get about $2.50.
They will still get the high demand areas covered. They will deprive you of any bonus on the outlying areas and give a $3 bonus to those drivers in higher demand areas. If $3 doesn’t do the trick then $4 will.

Plus you won’t know what the zones are paying unless you’re close to them. This is so you can’t make an informed decision on whether it is worth heading downtown to bar close. You’d have for drive all the way there only to find out it’s only $3 and wasn’t worth chasing. Plus there are drivers that are happy with any ride they can get and will use the piss color squares to “guide” them to more rides.

IR12

They will still get the high demand areas covered. They will deprive you of any bonus on the outlying areas and give a $3 bonus to those drivers in higher demand areas. If $3 doesn’t do the trick then $4 will.

Plus you won’t know what the zones are paying unless you’re close to them. This is so you can’t make an informed decision on whether it is worth heading downtown to bar close. You’d have for drive all the way there only to find out it’s only $3 and wasn’t worth chasing. Plus there are drivers that are happy with any ride they can get and will use the piss color squares to “guide” them to more rides.
I gave the PZ crap a shot, got to PZ, snagged 4.96 bonus which was promptly cut to 2.48 and eventually 1.98.
Note to self.
Make the choice to go get my money rather wait for app to determine how to manipulate the situation. Turned out to be $414.00 day.
Post automatically merged:

OK. I have been a Phoenix Lyft driver for 2 years now and I want to share some thoughts with the new personal impotent zones. Lyft states, "We have listened and made improvements..." -First off let me stop there. Who did they listen to? Was it one driver complaining? I tend to believe they were listening to the Board and majority shareholders who are demanding more profit. -Second...improvements? Bahaha. I am basing my thoughts on spending a week with the PPZ. I accepted every ride for fairness. My findings in the app are this:
  • In the rider payment breakdowns over the week Lyft is making 32% MORE than the average over the last month.
  • They said in their "test market" drivers were making more bonuses. Where did they test market and I have written to see those test results...have not heard back. My average bonus amounts over the last 6 months on JUST Friday and Sat were $37 each friday and each saturday $75 combined. This weekend with the PPZ, my bonus total was $13.38...that is the TOTAL folks.
  • I had two rides where I had to travel over 13 miles avg last night (Sat) just to pick up and go about 6 miles for the ride itself. One was at 2:17am the other at 3:02am. The 3:02am had me travel ACROSS ASU and into Scottsdale (16.2 miles total) and when pinged it said "100% Prime Time"...weird since there is no PT. On the breakdown I made $4.60 for the ride, no tip..and a $2 adjustment for how far I had to go. So I made just $4.60 in fare and Lyft got paid...$21.76.
  • Sure Lyft still charges the customer for PT/Surge but I got ZERO bonus.
I used to put in 10 or more hours on a fri/sat night and easily clear no less than $160 with about 35-50% PT rides...this weekend my total pay WITH tips was $132 TOTAL.

Welcome to the new and improved Lyft where the drivers are forced to turn off their apps to search for a PPZ while the customers wait time increases and increases. Congratulations Lyft share owners for finding a way to stress out drivers, lower customer service and increase demand with less drivers on the weekend.
Great post & welcome to the forum.

hulksmash

I gave the PZ crap a shot, got to PZ, snagged 4.96 bonus which was promptly cut to 2.48 and eventually 1.98.
Note to self.
Make the choice to go get my money rather wait for app to determine how to manipulate the situation. Turned out to be $414.00 day.
Post automatically merged:

Great post & welcome to the forum.
So the bonus goes down once you’re there? I thought you supposed to get the highest bonus accumulated. Or did your bonus go down cause you skipped rides?

indydriver68

Lyft is totally manipulating the system to achieve their goals. We all know this and it’s bullshit I agree, but that’s the way it is and until drivers unite as a solid front it will continue. No amount of @@@@@ing or complaining is going to change it nor will drivers unite as one to create change. I for one absolutely refuse to do a lyft ride. I enjoy being online and watching the accept counter time out each time adding to the platform degradation as Lyft likes to claim with each declined ride. Never knew I was so powerful. Yes riders may get shafted that they have to wait an extra 30 seconds to get paired with a driver 20 minutes away....maybe they will get tired of it if more drivers did it and go to Uber and after Lyft continued to suck and lose riders then maybe they might listen to drivers for once and not just the kiss ass drivers council or whatever they use.

IR12

Lyft is totally manipulating the system to achieve their goals. We all know this and it’s bullshit I agree, but that’s the way it is and until drivers unite as a solid front it will continue. No amount of @@@@@ing or complaining is going to change it nor will drivers unite as one to create change. I for one absolutely refuse to do a lyft ride. I enjoy being online and watching the accept counter time out each time adding to the platform degradation as Lyft likes to claim with each declined ride. Never knew I was so powerful. Yes riders may get shafted that they have to wait an extra 30 seconds to get paired with a driver 20 minutes away....maybe they will get tired of it if more drivers did it and go to Uber and after Lyft continued to suck and lose riders then maybe they might listen to drivers for once and not just the kiss ass drivers council or whatever they use.
Acceleration of drivers getting begin in earnest 2013-14.
I figured, there had to be a way to make money come what may.

I, like you, concluded I had the power to better control my R/S payouts by studying demographics.

This along with whatever variables a driver factors in based on region has everything to do with how much they take home.

I'm at the point where though gas in CA is between 4.09 - 5.00/gal, which I can't control. I put 35.00 in my tank, my immediate mindset is, someone's gotta pay for this & I will take no prisoners today.

People on this forum will say it can't be done. If you think you can't do something & have a defeated mentality....that's just what L/U wants in a driver.

And I thought Uber was shady! Lyft wins the shadiest of the decade award. When a PPZ pops up, it eliminates the urine cloud. So you can’t see where demand is coming from and if you leave the ppz you lose the bonus. Which makes me feel like an employee... Lyft is telling me where to accept rides and dangling a carrot. This is the highest form of manipulation I’ve ever experienced in my life. Lyft=Gilead (Handmaids tale)

Uber1111uber

Lyft used to have prime time here on downtown cleveland mostly from like 10 PM til bar close on Saturday nights now its just yellow,orange colors no bonus until like 215 am. And that bonus is like $1. Who the hell is gonna stay up to give drunk pax a ride that late for a $1? That was the only time to make good money on lyft and now it's gone. I guess easier to understand now with all day every day base rates