• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Lyft pay cuts in Austin

AustinAD99

So Lyft decides to begin doing the exact opposite thing that helped them gain ground against Uber, which is the reputation that they treat drivers better, by taking more pay, and now Uber starts doing better so they think lowering rates will fix it. What a vicious and stupid cycle brought on entirely by the fact that both of these idiots just don't get the simple concept that you should actually treat people right and stop messing around with the money, and there will be no problems. It's obviously a game of who is treating people better, but they don't get it yet.
Lyft needs to show a profit this quarter and this is the way they THINK they can do it.
And sadly they'll probably eek out 50 million or so this Q, thanks to grand thefting the drivers.

But if a lot of drivers smarten up and do the following they'll not be profitable.

1. Don't take short deadhead rides and compare the given "x minutes" away with how far it truly is (i.e. Lyft says 4 minutes away and it's more like 1 minute away...which is an amazing flip - before the rate cuts and paid deadheads Lyft always way underestimated how long the pickups really were.)
2. Go long after accepting ride. Rack up the front end pay as much as possible.
3. Refuse any trip over 2.5x your deadhead miles. You won't know this until you arrive, but just tell the pax about rate cuts and that as a contract worker you have to cancel the ride as it's unprofitable. Hopefully causing the pax to switch to RA or Uber.

Death from a thousand cuts.

Bigsk8r

I am doing nothing but LUX and amping up the personal power zones from now on. Because I had a freaky string of LUX rides that I have never had before, they still made about 14% of my $180 this past weekend, but I want them in the negative...

AustinAD99

So looks like Lyft is now checking our time/routes on pickups.
Had two rides vanish on me yesterday as I long routed to pick them up.
These rides didn't show up on my list as canceled - just gone as they never happened.
Also had a pax ask me why she had three different drivers assigned to her ride before I showed up.
Told them it's probably due to this issue.

So don't get too greedy on the front end...pack on the miles/time after picking up pax.

TNCTopher

So looks like Lyft is now checking our time/routes on pickups.
Had two rides vanish on me yesterday as I long routed to pick them up.
These rides didn't show up on my list as canceled - just gone as they never happened.
Also had a pax ask me why she had three different drivers assigned to her ride before I showed up.
Told them it's probably due to this issue.

So don't get too greedy on the front end...pack on the miles/time after picking up pax.
Your trip was reassigned to the better driver. The better driver in most cases is actually the closer driver.

There is some risk with long pickups and I have changed my decision-making process. It's Lyft's problem. I took a long pickup from an AirBNB and it hurt. I lost 12% more than I should have. I brought the frat boys up to speed on their reality (i.e. no long pickups for U/L) and even have a QR code for RA in my vehicle. They all added the RA app and the next day went back to U/L. I declined a total of 20 requests from that house over a 40-minute period.

Noonespecial

I tried the concept of taking long pickups that were on my way. It aint worth the hassle.
Bottom line, if you're taking lyft rides AT ALL then you're leaving money on the table and you're @@@@ong yourself and every other driver by letting lyft get away with 47 cents a mile. YOU DON'T NEED LYFT AT ALL, TURN THAT SH$T OFF! Yesterday I made $35 an hr on Uber and RA. Stop bending over for lyft. Even if you're taking advantage of the long pickups those long pickups are time consuming and have a large opportunity cost.

Attachments

AustinAggie

Lyft has been reassigning rides for 2 years. It's BS and frustrating.
They also will tack on another ride which can be surprising.
But that's a moot point for me since I only used Lyft once since the pay cut. I wanted to see for myself how bad it was.
It was 15%. No thanks, Lyft.

Bigsk8r

I tried the concept of taking long pickups that were on my way. It aint worth the hassle.
Bottom line, if you're taking lyft rides AT ALL then you're leaving money on the table and you're @@@@ong yourself and every other driver by letting lyft get away with 47 cents a mile. YOU DON'T NEED LYFT AT ALL, TURN THAT SH$T OFF! Yesterday I made $35 an hr on Uber and RA. Stop bending over for lyft. Even if you're taking advantage of the long pickups those long pickups are time consuming and have a large opportunity cost.
Agreed... except for Lux and one other scenario...

On the weekends, after doing an RA ride or U/L Lux ride, I sometimes find myself in a Lyft purple or pink zone. I leave RA on and U/L in Lux only and park in the pink. If in the 3-4 minutes it takes for the meter to max I don't get a ride I prefer, I open Lyft up, the bonus sticks, and I wind up with an intermediate ride that puts them negative.

The only non-Lux I did this past weekend netted me $17.79 after tip and they lost $2.06. And it was only 5 miles and 14 minutes of total driving.

Except for Lux, I will not take a ride that will make them money. And even then, I have converted 1/4 - 1/3 back to RA.

AustinAD99

Must say, most pax are being super cool on taking long routes after explaining how Lyft has cut our rates by 1/3.

Had a guy last night (ABIA to Circle C) let me take the long way around, had an interesting chat.
But still got screwed by Lyft - $25 Lyft, $25 me plus $10 tip. Took 35 to 1626 to Circle C...Next time I'm taking a super duper long route.
Was surging hard as I was at i35/Stassney when I got the ride. Odd thing was the waiting lot seemed full.

Had another cool guy today - took the long way and soaked up all gravy.
And learned all about his work - makes super powerful rare-earth magnets.
Said their big one (cell phone sized) can lift 15 tons plus.
Said super dangerous - even a finger sized one can cripple your hand if you where to hold it near metal.
Makes them from magnets from old hard drives.
Strips out the small magnets, soaks them in hydrogen, which swells them until they break apart into powder.
Then they press them into desired shape an fire them in a kiln.
95% less work than starting from scratch.

So thanks for that Lyft...you're not totally useless after all!

wilsonz83

Must say, most pax are being super cool on taking long routes after explaining how Lyft has cut our rates by 1/3.

Had a guy last night (ABIA to Circle C) let me take the long way around, had an interesting chat.
But still got screwed by Lyft - $25 Lyft, $25 me plus $10 tip. Took 35 to 1626 to Circle C...Next time I'm taking a super duper long route.
Was surging hard as I was at i35/Stassney when I got the ride. Odd thing was the waiting lot seemed full.

Had another cool guy today - took the long way and soaked up all gravy.
And learned all about his work - makes super powerful rare-earth magnets.
Said their big one (cell phone sized) can lift 15 tons plus.
Said super dangerous - even a finger sized one can cripple your hand if you where to hold it near metal.
Makes them from magnets from old hard drives.
Strips out the small magnets, soaks them in hydrogen, which swells them until they break apart into powder.
Then they press them into desired shape an fire them in a kiln.
95% less work than starting from scratch.

So thanks for that Lyft...you're not totally useless after all!
If uber is still paying better why bother all the hustles of taking long routes and getting approved from the passengers? You are still paying for the gas and your car. But have to say I love those lyft Lux/Black trips in town sitting in traffic for 25 minutes going only 2 miles, used to pay $8 now it's solid $15, much better than a ride to the AP.

AustinAD99

Yeah,
Waiting on my new background check to come thru on Uber. Drove for them way, way back in the day but switched to Lyft due to better pax. Kind of like the difference between U/L and RA pax back before RA. Cooler/chill pax and better tippers. Now those pax are RA.

Just really hate Uber, but going to hold my nose and dive into the sewer asap.
Figure I'll keep Lyft trolling for Lux only, while trolling for U and RA.

And I figure you're going to run those miles to deadhead anyways so if I can inform pax how not only drivers, but paxers are getting screwed by Lyft and get them to switch to RA.
Bonus is getting the total to Lyft into the negative...feels soooo good.

BTW I see that RA has opened up onboarding for new drivers, so I'm guessing they're seeing an increase in new pax or ride requests. Seems to be picking up.
Had a nice $50 plus Lux from DT to Circle C Monday on RA!

wilsonz83

Yeah,
Waiting on my new background check to come thru on Uber. Drove for them way, way back in the day but switched to Lyft due to better pax. Kind of like the difference between U/L and RA pax back before RA. Cooler/chill pax and better tippers. Now those pax are RA.

Just really hate Uber, but going to hold my nose and dive into the sewer asap.
Figure I'll keep Lyft trolling for Lux only, while trolling for U and RA.

And I figure you're going to run those miles to deadhead anyways so if I can inform pax how not only drivers, but paxers are getting screwed by Lyft and get them to switch to RA.
Bonus is getting the total to Lyft into the negative...feels soooo good.

BTW I see that RA has opened up onboarding for new drivers, so I'm guessing they're seeing an increase in new pax or ride requests. Seems to be picking up.
Had a nice $50 plus Lux from DT to Circle C Monday on RA!
I hear you, last time it took them 3 days to clear me. About the passengers I have a mix feeling, yes I used to hate Uber passengers and Lyft did have better ones and they tipped better but recently I am seeing lots of change, Lyft pax not tipping as it used to be and Uber passengers are surprisingly tipping well. About RA I had it on all the time, not a single trip for the past 2 months, well I never turn on regular that's maybe why.

Noonespecial

Its purely financial. 75 cents a mile XL or $1.48 a mile??
46 cents a mile X, or 70 cents/99 cents a mile?
Some kind of surge or PPz BS?

And give me a break, are Uber passengers really more worthless than Lyft? Not.in my experience

wilsonz83

Its purely financial. 75 cents a mile XL or $1.48 a mile??
46 cents a mile X, or 70 cents/99 cents a mile?
Some kind of surge or PPz BS?

And give me a break, are Uber passengers really more worthless than Lyft? Not.in my experience
I agree with that kind of pay difference even you take long route still hard to make the same.

About passengers, only talking about x passengers as Lyft premium rides are close to none, before Lyft climb to 30% of this market, yes Lyft passengers were easier to due with, no bad ratings for drivers like Uber pax, also they tipped really good, often a $5 for a minimum fare, AP rides often with $10 $20 tips which definitely made a huge difference. But now there are many shitty pax on Lyft already.

kylebudahays

No matter how long the pickup is or how circuitous of a route you take with the pax before tip a plain old Lyft ride pays somewhere around $.75 a mile. I can't remember what it was before but maybe around $.80. I take my time getting there from a speed standpoint and follow the navigation app and hope for a tip and generally only use it when I have both apps in destination mode when I'm really far from where I am trying to get to. Because I'm never in a busy place when I use it the pickups are sometime silly long and Lyft loses money a good percentage of the time which is hilarious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi...what time do you drive? I drive in the day time from 7am until 2pm and I don't get enough request during this time period to only do Uber. Maybe there are more request during the times when you work.

Noonespecial

Hi...what time do you drive? I drive in the day time from 7am until 2pm and I don't get enough request during this time period to only do Uber. Maybe there are more request during the times when you work.
When I drive all day i drive those hours, but for me its between fri-mon.
Tues thru thursday those are not good hrs at all. All the airport rides are between 5-8am and 2-5pm. 90% of my rides are destination mode in those time frames and i get an airport ride almost always.....
On weekends when I know its busy though 7am-3pm is my wheelhouse for driving all day.

Here was Friday, 6am to 3:30pm, subtract 2hrs for the drive to/from new braunfels.
Also, someone said the Ride Austin is accepting new drivers, SIGN UP. sometimes I make $15 on RA, and sometimes its $115.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I drive all day i drive those hours, but for me its between fri-mon.
Tues thru thursday those are not good hrs at all. All the airport rides are between 5-8am and 2-5pm. 90% of my rides are destination mode in those time frames and i get an airport ride almost always.....
On weekends when I know its busy though 7am-3pm is my wheelhouse for driving all day.

Here was Friday, 6am to 3:30pm, subtract 2hrs for the drive to/from new braunfels.
Also, someone said the Ride Austin is accepting new drivers, SIGN UP. sometimes I make $15 on RA, and sometimes its $115.
Hi, thanks for the advice. I'm somewhat limited by the hours that I work because I work a full time job but also drive full time as well. So even though I don't want to drive for Lyft for such low rates during the times that I drive in order to stsy busy I have to do both Uber and Lyft because im just not getting enough business with Uber during those times. I checked RA website a few days ago and they still were not accepting new drivers but I'm gaining to check again.

AustinAD99

Finally did my 1st day of Uber while trolling Lyft Lux.
Caught a couple of Lux, missed out on a few more due to being mid ride for U/RA.
Made some nice bank U/$135, L/$65, RA/$35 in 8 hour.
Was planning on running U/RA while trolling L for Lux rides.

But it seems like Lyft has one last parting FU for me.
Email today that by the end of Sept my 2015 Volvo will no longer be a Lux model.

So starting Oct. I'll be joining Noonespecial in "Operation FU2-Lyft"...accepting rides, but not picking them up, maybe once in awhile if I'm bored and then I'll attempt to soak Lyft for all the marbles on that ride. If the pax is even a tiny bit of a dick, they'll be reported so they have to take safety course before they can request a new Lyft ride...and more fun. If I can't get you to use RA then I'll make Lyft so unpalatable the pax will start using cabs.

Have to thank Lyft for pushing me back to driving Uber once again.

Thanks Lyft!

Noonespecial

Finally did my 1st day of Uber while trolling Lyft Lux.
Caught a couple of Lux, missed out on a few more due to being mid ride for U/RA.
Made some nice bank U/$135, L/$65, RA/$35 in 8 hour.
Was planning on running U/RA while trolling L for Lux rides.

But it seems like Lyft has one last parting FU for me.
Email today that by the end of Sept my 2015 Volvo will no longer be a Lux model.

So starting Oct. I'll be joining Noonespecial in "Operation FU2-Lyft"...accepting rides, but not picking them up, maybe once in awhile if I'm bored and then I'll attempt to soak Lyft for all the marbles on that ride. If the pax is even a tiny bit of a dick, they'll be reported so they have to take safety course before they can request a new Lyft ride...and more fun. If I can't get you to use RA then I'll make Lyft so unpalatable the pax will start using cabs.

Have to thank Lyft for pushing me back to driving Uber once again.

Thanks Lyft!
The downside is that you cannot get deactivated. Ive tried and tried, they just wont deactivate. Of course I would never be an unsafe driver but as far as cancelling or not showing up, you make 15 lyft pax wait while you never show up, then you do a 2.5 hour timeout and then the cycle repeats itself. Every once in a while i get a 15-20 minute ping that I actually complete as long as they arent more than 1 mile off I35....but i did 6 rides in september and no showed about 125! As a company its actually sad how dysfunctional lyft is.....I REALLY SHOULD HAVE BEEN DEACTIVATED BY NOW! This level of dysfunction is the scariest thing about them. What if i really was a dangerous or unsafe driver??? How many peoples lives are in danger because lyft isnt PAYING ANY ATTENTION to the quality of their drivers and letting some algorithm handle their timeouts and deactivation threats?? Its jaw dropping. WHERE ARE THE F***ING HUMANS????