• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Lyft pay cuts in Austin

How do you all feel about the new pay structure that Lyft is implementing in Austin starting August 21? You will be paid .21 per min for time spent to pick up the pax. The per mile fee will shrink from .69 to .46 cents per mile and the time spent driving goes from .19 per min to .21 cents per minute.
Sounds like a huge pay cut so for these lower wages I will definitely be prioritizing Uber over Lyft or just do more over time on my full time job.

Noonespecial

I dont want to be kicked off the forums so Im not gonna go into any details about what should happen to ANYONE who accepts a lyft ride after august 21st.
I guess since there are so many desperate idiots who want to drive for 33% of the fare that its finally over for the competent drivers.
I cannot stress enough how much anyone who takes a lyft ride after august 21st needs to go @@@@ themselves. If you're willing to do $7 rides to the airport from downtown while the pax pays $22 then you can just (blank blank blankety blank blank).

kylebudahays

Abia stage lot to rideshare pick up to jw Marriott $.45 pick up 30 minutes @ $.21 a minute from ping to getting their bags out of the car. 13 miles if you include the two Mile drive from staging lot @ $.465 a mile. Should be around $12-$13 which is the same awful pay it is today. Don't overreact. Some rides will be more money some will be less. Most likely more less than more, but to say it's $7 from the Airport to downtown is verifiable nonsense.
I dont want to be kicked off the forums so Im not gonna go into any details about what should happen to ANYONE who accepts a lyft ride after august 21st.
I guess since there are so many desperate idiots who want to drive for 33% of the fare that its finally over for the competent drivers.
I cannot stress enough how much anyone who takes a lyft ride after august 21st needs to go @@@@ themselves. If you're willing to do $7 rides to the airport from downtown while the pax pays $22 then you can just (blank blank blankety blank blank).

Noonespecial

Do the math the other way. 2 mins to pickup and 15 minutes down i35 to ABIA. 11 miles at 46 cents, $5. 17 minutes, $3.50. Most drivers dont sit at the queue. This is atleast a 33% paycut. But, thanks for making sure lyft gets away with it so Uber can do the same.

kylebudahays

Do the math the other way. 2 mins to pickup and 15 minutes down i35 to ABIA. 11 miles at 46 cents, $5. 17 minutes, $3.50. Most drivers dont sit at the queue. This is atleast a 33% paycut. But, thanks for making sure lyft gets away with it so Uber can do the same.
Okay, let's do the math inside of your magical world where I'm going from accepting a ride downtown to dropping off a pax at abia in 17 minutes then add in the pick up fee. It's still $9 not $7. Now, in reality it's still about 30 minutes from ping to drop off. So, add in that 13 minutes at $.21 a minutes it's a $12 fare, which is the the same aweful fare it is now. This change in rate structure is almost certainly a legal maneuver that has something to do with employee status more than to do with rate cuts.

AustinAD99

How do you all feel about the new pay structure that Lyft is implementing in Austin starting August 21? You will be paid .21 per min for time spent to pick up the pax. The per mile fee will shrink from .69 to .46 cents per mile and the time spent driving goes from .19 per min to .21 cents per minute.
Sounds like a huge pay cut so for these lower wages I will definitely be prioritizing Uber over Lyft or just do more over time on my full time job.
Just wondering where you're getting these rate numbers from?

Just looked up my rate card and I'm getting .208 per minute and .744 a mile per minute for X and Shared.
Lux rates are base rate 2.304, minimum 5.76, 2.16 per mile, .304 per minute.

I've read Lyfts little blurb via the drivers app about the coming changes on the 21st.
All it says is drivers will now be earning after accepting the ride while going to pick up pax.
Says you'll get same rate while deadheading to pickup pax as after you've picked pax up.

Also that we'll be paid a "flat fee" for 2nd, 3rd...etc pickups on shared rides.
You've also let us know you'd like to be paid for additional shared pickups. You'll now be paid a flat rate for every pickup that gets added - because a pickup is a pickup, and you should always get paid for it.
Doesn't say how much this new flat fee is or if we'll still get time/miles in addition to the flat pickup fee for 2nd+ shared.

But nowhere does it say that the pay rates are being chopped.

Post a link please to this info.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Abia stage lot to rideshare pick up to jw Marriott $.45 pick up 30 minutes @ $.21 a minute from ping to getting their bags out of the car. 13 miles if you include the two Mile drive from staging lot @ $.465 a mile. Should be around $12-$13 which is the same awful pay it is today. Don't overreact. Some rides will be more money some will be less. Most likely more less than more, but to say it's $7 from the Airport to downtown is verifiable nonsense.
The majority of rides will be less if you simply do the math. If you pick up PAX from downtown that needs to go to ABIA the pick up amount you receive is gonna be very low because downtown pick ups don't take much time but we still get paid .23 less per mile that we drive them. Don't get me started on how much money we will be losing on long trips that don't have much traffic. At that point it feels like it won't even be worth the wear it puts on your car to accept those long trips.
Post automatically merged:

Just wondering where you're getting these rate numbers from?

Just looked up my rate card and I'm getting .208 per minute and .744 a mile per minute for X and Shared.
Lux rates are base rate 2.304, minimum 5.76, 2.16 per mile, .304 per minute.

I've read Lyfts little blurb via the drivers app about the coming changes on the 21st.
All it says is drivers will now be earning after accepting the ride while going to pick up pax.
Says you'll get same rate while deadheading to pickup pax as after you've picked pax up.

Also that we'll be paid a "flat fee" for 2nd, 3rd...etc pickups on shared rides.

Doesn't say how much this new flat fee is or if we'll still get time/miles in addition to the flat pickup fee for 2nd+ shared.

But nowhere does it say that the pay rates are being chopped.

Post a link please to this info.
Lyft should have sent you an email explaining these new rates. The notification they sent through the app does not specify rates but the email does. Plus I spoke with a Lyft rep and Supervisor who told me the new rates.

Last edited:

AustinAD99

Wow,
What a pack of slimy aholes.

Sure is 'strange' that they failed to mention they were also whacking pay rates...even more so that it sends you to a webpage.
So reduce per miles by 1/3 (25 cents) and bump the per minute rate up 2 cents.
Nice, and a big 5 days heads up...

Example of pay on some rides, long, medium and short.
Long ride. 4:51pm
miles: 24.1 +1.4 deadhead miles = 25.5x .496 = $12.65 (old pay $17.93)
time: 52.5 + 10 deadhead minutes = 62.5x.224=$14 (old pay $10.92)
-$5.28 per mile, +$3.08 per minute and -$0.22 pickup/base rate for a loss of $2.42 on this ride under new rate.

Medium ride 5:10pm
miles:10.1 miles +3 deadhead miles =13.1x.496=$6.50 (old pay $7.51)
time:23 min + 3 deadhead mins = 26x.224=$5.82 (old pay $4.78)
-$0.99 miles, +$1.04, -$0.22 pickup/base rate for a loss of $0.17 with new rate.

Short ride: 6:25pm
miles:1.4 miles + 3 deadhead miles = 4.4x.496=$2.18 (old pay $1.04)
time:4 min + 4 deadhead mins = 8x.224=$1.79 (old pay $0.83)
+$1.14 miles, +$0.96 mins, -$0.22 pickup/base rate
Old payment was bumped up to min rate of $3.20, new rates = $4.45 = +$1.39

So it looks like long rides are money losers, medium rides are a wash and short rides are much better.

Best rides will be short rides with long pickup time/miles...which seems to be the majority of the rides currently.

Don't accept long rides and drive during the rush hour/after games/concerts.

Would be great if enough Lyfters keep their app on but sit on their hands and don't accept rides but just let them time out...

Ziggy

Wow,
What a pack of slimy aholes.

Sure is 'strange' that they failed to mention they were also whacking pay rates...even more so that it sends you to a webpage.
So reduce per miles by 1/3 (25 cents) and bump the per minute rate up 2 cents.
Nice, and a big 5 days heads up...

Example of pay on some rides, long, medium and short.
Long ride. 4:51pm
miles: 24.1 +1.4 deadhead miles = 25.5x .496 = $12.65 (old pay $17.93)
time: 52.5 + 10 deadhead minutes = 62.5x.224=$14 (old pay $10.92)
-$5.28 per mile, +$3.08 per minute and -$0.22 pickup/base rate for a loss of $2.42 on this ride under new rate.

Medium ride 5:10pm
miles:10.1 miles +3 deadhead miles =13.1x.496=$6.50 (old pay $7.51)
time:23 min + 3 deadhead mins = 26x.224=$5.82 (old pay $4.78)
-$0.99 miles, +$1.04, -$0.22 pickup/base rate for a loss of $0.17 with new rate.

Short ride: 6:25pm
miles:1.4 miles + 3 deadhead miles = 4.4x.496=$2.18 (old pay $1.04)
time:4 min + 4 deadhead mins = 8x.224=$1.79 (old pay $0.83)
+$1.14 miles, +$0.96 mins, -$0.22 pickup/base rate
Old payment was bumped up to min rate of $3.20, new rates = $4.45 = +$1.39

So it looks like long rides are money losers, medium rides are a wash and short rides are much better.

Best rides will be short rides with long pickup time/miles...which seems to be the majority of the rides currently.

Don't accept long rides and drive during the rush hour/after games/concerts.

Would be great if enough Lyfters keep their app on but sit on their hands and don't accept rides but just let them time out...
Cancels seem more profitable than the new rides

karachi

Wow, the least Lyft could have done is offered complimentary coupons for free lube from the local pharmacy because you're gonna need it!!

Noonespecial

Most lyft rides I ever did i accepted because they were 2 minutes or less away. When you are in town around the army of drivers then most rides are always two minutes or less away. All other things being equal, 99% of rides will now be 2 cents more a minute and 23 cents less per mile. Its always the long rides that were profitable and now its those rides that are gonna pay about 30% less.
Rides to the airport from downtown are not 30 minutes but rides from the domain are.
Right now a ride from the domain to the airport pays $23. Under the new rates, 30x 21 cents, $6.30. 21 miles x .46 cents, $9.66.
The $23 ride now pays $16. And there is now way you are gonna have more than a 2 minute pickup at the domain because there are always drivers everywhere and to get the ping you will have to be close as usual. Same goes for downtown, if you were more than 2 minutes away then someone else gets the ping. I thought I would be angry if people actually took lyft rides at these rates, but now i think i will just feel sorry for them. I guess being a lyft driver is now truely a minimum wage job after expenses.
Post automatically merged:

Welcome to the future (this is pheonix)
This should not even be legal:

Attachments

Last edited:

Ziggy

I’ve been driving for U/L for 5 years. A couple of years ago Uber did an experiment in Detroit and they dropped the driver pay from $0.86/mile to $0.36/mile the week before Thanksgiving and didn’t raise it until February.

Yeah, there was outrage from all the drivers on FB and here on UP, but no mention of the Uber Scrooge in the media ... and drivers kept driving (even though many drivers from other cities berated them on FB & UP). You never know what another driver’s circumstances are, maybe they cannot work another job due to family circumstances or their lack of job skills.

In either case, U/L have been shortchanging drivers for far too long. However, there's light at the end of the tunnel ... I'm working with the SRV team to form a new company that will treat drivers fairly- but it’s a job, not a gig - so drivers will either have to work a full-time (8-10 hrs/day) or part-time (3-6 hrs/day) schedule ... Driver starting pay $25/hr + Benefits (medical, paid vacation, paid sick days, 401K, bonuses, and more). Drive one of our new cars/SUVs (zero overhead ... we pay maintenance, insurance, permits, tolls, gas, etc). Interested? Join the +2K drivers who already signed up here (www.DriversWanted.org) **Feel free to share this site with friends who might want to drive for better income. *Don't call us, we'll call you ... company name is "Confidential" to prevent us getting slammed with phone calls.

AustinAD99

Time to start pushing RA hard on every Lyft ride.

Wonder if Lyft will be dropping the rates it charges the pax.
Somehow I think not.

I would say it's unbelievably greedy this move is, but this is the American Corporatocracy.

Anyone else want to join in on the 21st of keeping Lyft on BUT excepting no rides?

Ziggy

Somehow I think not.

I would say it's unbelievably greedy this move is, but this is the American Corporatocracy.

Anyone else want to join in on the 21st of keeping Lyft on BUT excepting no rides?
I’d bet that they will not lower fares to pax, after all they are trying to boost their profits for share holders

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Somehow I think not.

On the 21st I just want be doing any more Lyft rides. So I will just keep the app off.

AustinAD99

I think it's better to have the app in driver mode but accept no rides...just let the ride offer time out.
If many other drivers did the same it would slow up the pax/driver matching.

Ziggy

Ive been put in lyft timeout over 10 times without permanent deactivation. My strategy will be to accept every ride and never pick them up. Gonna find out how long it takes for permanent deactivation.
In 2014/15 there was no queue at the airport and pings were not restricted to airport trips. A good friend of mine canceled so many trips that he is known by Lyft as having more cancellations than any driver on their entire platform. When Lyft came back to Austin in 2017 (after leaving in 2015, due to losing the election) my friend congratulated them on their return and their response was that they would never ever hire him again due to his high cancellation rate (he still had the record). I’m not sure how many that was, but I canceled well over 100 and kept my account

tcc83

For the people turning off the lyft app, you better have a contingency plan. Uber and lyft usually move together on these things. If they see lyft boosting their profits then they will be quick to follow.