nouberipo

So recently I have noticed several times I have accepted pings from Lyft where the map was covered up and no address was given until I accepted. This just started happening and ONLY seems to happen when the location is one that most logical drivers would not accept. For example, Walmart. I got a ping without it showing on the map it was Walmart as the ping covered half of the phone. I accepted and then saw it was not only Walmart but it was the Walmart that was behind me as I was approaching the highway going the opposite direction. I cancelled and called Lyft to ask about why it was covered. No answer of course.

Then I took some more rides and it happened again. This time the pick up even though it said 8 minutes away (it still says the Lyft approximate pick-up time) took me to the center of East Cleveland. Again, I wasn't shown on the map the area in which I was headed (I happened to be downtown at that point). I cancelled again. Then last night it happened once again with Euclid. It didn't show on the map what direction or the general vicinity of where I was headed.

So, lesson learned. Today I stopped taking any pings from Lyft that are not showing the destination until I accept. It is not by accident. Nothing is by accident with Lyft or Uber. Think about it. There are many layers of bureaucracy that people would have to go through to make a change like this so it is NOT by accident but rather planned. They know the places people won't choose to pick up at (e.g. grocery stores, Walmart, ghetto) so instead of showing the independent contractors the general area of the pick-up, they now cover it up until you accept.

Is there any moral or ethical compass within the rideshare industry? They prey on people not seeing this stuff and trying, best they can, to have drivers depreciate their cars, lose money, and waste time while they become wealthy. It is nothing short of taking from the 'poor' to give to the 1%. This is why regulations are needed. Business in the USA will not do what is right on their own. Instead they need to be regulated. Not only are most drivers making below minimum wage, now they are starting to cover up the pick-up location until you accept thus stopping you from making an educated decision on whether or not to accept the ride. If I accepted a ride in East Cleveland or other areas I take into account the roads and the toll they put on my car, previous experiences, and my safety. As an independent contractor I should have the right to decide if I will take the ride.

czervik7

It’s been happening for a while. If I don’t know where I’m picking up and it’s more than 5 minutes away I don’t accept.

The Lyft app is a hot mess that hasn’t been seriously updated in 2 years. They did manage to put in a prompt to keep the app on when you try to go offline. Just another distraction on the road.

Kalee

When Lyft stopped displaying the pickup location on the map, I ceased to accept ANY of them. Not a one. You're better off rejecting them than to accept and then cancel

Lee239

So recently I have noticed several times I have accepted pings from Lyft where the map was covered up and no address was given until I accepted. This just started happening and ONLY seems to happen when the location is one that most logical drivers would not accept. For example, Walmart. I got a ping without it showing on the map it was Walmart as the ping covered half of the phone. I accepted and then saw it was not only Walmart but it was the Walmart that was behind me as I was approaching the highway going the opposite direction. I cancelled and called Lyft to ask about why it was covered. No answer of course.

Then I took some more rides and it happened again. This time the pick up even though it said 8 minutes away (it still says the Lyft approximate pick-up time) took me to the center of East Cleveland. Again, I wasn't shown on the map the area in which I was headed (I happened to be downtown at that point). I cancelled again. Then last night it happened once again with Euclid. It didn't show on the map what direction or the general vicinity of where I was headed.

So, lesson learned. Today I stopped taking any pings from Lyft that are not showing the destination until I accept. It is not by accident. Nothing is by accident with Lyft or Uber. Think about it. There are many layers of bureaucracy that people would have to go through to make a change like this so it is NOT by accident but rather planned. They know the places people won't choose to pick up at (e.g. grocery stores, Walmart, ghetto) so instead of showing the independent contractors the general area of the pick-up, they now cover it up until you accept.

Is there any moral or ethical compass within the rideshare industry? They prey on people not seeing this stuff and trying, best they can, to have drivers depreciate their cars, lose money, and waste time while they become wealthy. It is nothing short of taking from the 'poor' to give to the 1%. This is why regulations are needed. Business in the USA will not do what is right on their own. Instead they need to be regulated. Not only are most drivers making below minimum wage, now they are starting to cover up the pick-up location until you accept thus stopping you from making an educated decision on whether or not to accept the ride. If I accepted a ride in East Cleveland or other areas I take into account the roads and the toll they put on my car, previous experiences, and my safety. As an independent contractor I should have the right to decide if I will take the ride.
The problem is that if drivers discriminate against and area it creates a problem for these companies about discrimination. Just like when Domino's or other pizza chains were telling people they didn't deliver to that area they were afraid the local or higher up government was gonna step in. The driver has a right of refusal, since we are independent contractors but that can hurt you or get you fired if you accept and cancel because of location. In the case of a pizza company they can't say they won't deliver to a bad area. All they can say is they only deliver to a certain distance and keep it out of the bad area radius.

Last edited:

Kalee

Nope... you can't be "fired" for not accepting ride requests.
Just don't accept then cancel. That could get you deactivated.

Never ever ever accept a Lyft ride request whenever Lyft doesn't show the pickup location on the map.
DECLINE, DECLINE, DECLINE

nouberipo

Lesson learned. It just started this week for me and today's rides were fine with showing me where I was going prior to accepting. I told Lyft on the phone, as if the call center representative cares, that I learned my lesson and will not accept any rides that don't show where I am going to on the map. As for redlining, it is my choice to not to go to Walmart to help someone with their copious amounts of merchandise. As you indicate it creates a problem for these companies......right, I am sure Uber/Lyft are worried just as they are worried about sending my a$%% to a neighborhood at 2am where it is normal for gun killings to happen. Sorry, as an independent contractor I am in charge of my business and want to know where I am being asked to go. This also relates to conditions of roads in certain areas. I will not put the wear and tear on my car so I don't accept those pick-ups.

So, bottom line. I am still getting most of the ping requests showing where I am headed but intermittently they are being covered. That is my signal right there to decline as it is saying to me they cannot find drivers to go to these places whether it is to Walmart or to unsafe neighborhoods.

So Kalee.....yes, I am with you. Decline, decline, decline. Thank goodness it is not often this happens for me but when it does I will just let the acceptance clock run out to waste those few seconds for them.

czervik7

Always go offline while your on your current Lyft ride. It’s the only to prevent Lyft from forcing a new ride on you while your currently on one. Otherwise you may have to cancel if the the next ride is far away or savory.

Teach1

If I have a ride that potentially takes me to an area I don’t want to be in I simply hit last ride. Drop my person off and move to an area I’m comfortable with. Lately though there’s areas both west and east that BS is happening.

Rosalita

Nope... you can't be "fired" for not accepting ride requests.
Just don't accept then cancel. That could get you deactivated.

Never ever ever accept a Lyft ride request whenever Lyft doesn't show the pickup location on the map.
DECLINE, DECLINE, DECLINE

I have cancelled rides when Lyft puts them in the que while I already have a pax in the car. I don't care how many I have to cancel. As an ind contractor they have no business stacking up rides without my acceptance.

Rosalita

My priority every day I drive is to hit my target earnings for that day or to come as close as possible. That, and to keep myself and my car safe. To accomplish this means I may have to turn down rides for a variety of reasons. I don't feel guilty about setting my priorities and sticking to my daily game plan.

I will drive most everywhere for a good ride. I will not, however, drive to certain neighborhoods late at night and make myself a target of opportunity for some punks. That includes some neighborhoods on the west side too. Every driver has to do what works best for them.

Michael - Cleveland

I have cancelled rides when Lyft puts them in the que while I already have a pax in the car. I don't care how many I have to cancel. As an ind contractor they have no business stacking up rides without my acceptance.
That's your choice of course, however you would be better off setting the app to 'do not accept new rides' mode. That's what it's there for.

Stacked rides, for many of us, are the difference between being able to drive efficiently or inefficiently. Knowing that we have another ride lined up close to where we are about to drop off (or even at the very same location) is what makes driving close-tor-pofitable, or at least prevents us from wasting miles driving around without a passenger in the car. When the wheels are turning without a passenger in the car we are losing money.

czervik7

If Lyft did what Uber does and allow us to scrutinize a stacked ride I’d agree. However, Lyft could forcibly stack a ride 15 minutes away or in an undesirable location. I turn the app off while in any Lyft ride.

I will say that Lyft has made some concessions with far away pickups by adding a “ride adjustment” to these pickups that result in a short ride. I’ve received a few of these so far.