Lyft new policy about when a rider books and X ride but it's really an XL.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

It used to be you would politely take and finish the ride and then afterwards call and inform support that it was an XL ride and they would have just the fair. Now what they want us to do is either cancel the ride ourselves or ask the rider to cancel the ride and then rebook it. I let them know that I think anything that they do that puts extra friction between the drivers and Riders is a bad thing. The agent assured me that in a case like this where you have them cancel or the driver cancels and then they rebook the ride if they give you a low rating for that Lyft will eliminated from your average. She also said that they will remove the cancellation from your cancellation rate if the driver cancels. So I said okay. So now I have to go through this whole thing about canceling and rebooking the ride and then I still have to call up and have you do these things. It sounds like we're going backwards not forwards.

The Texan

Agreed.

With Fuber, after reading about it here on this forum,
3 times now, I've taken an XL ride for X. Up front alert the Pax that I was going to have it upgraded. Hours later, using the app, (not calling), I put in a problem with fare, short and simple, and all 3 times within hours, I got the XL upgrade- no questions asked.

I can't even find the # to call Gryft on, Uber is easy, under the help, ? mark!

FT, these companies sure suck ass.

Imagine if they were actually driver friendly?

LyftUberFuwabolewa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, and I forgot to mention one thing, the agent actually said to me that the new policy is that so we can teach the riders that they have to book the right ride. So it definitely is something they're doing on purpose putting us in conflict with the Riders to achieve their (Lyft 's) goals

TheDevilisaParttimer

Yeah, and I forgot to mention one thing, the agent actually said to me that the new policy is that so we can teach the riders that they have to book the right ride. So it definitely is something they're doing on purpose putting us in conflict with the Riders to achieve their (Lyft 's) goals
That’s easy, charge the rider additional fee if driver had to upgrade their ride to xl. Lyft sure chose the right company color because their a bunch of puss!$&!

Kevin Kargel

I have done this about ten times now with minimal pushback and I kept the cancel fees. What I do is tell them that for insurance reasons I can only take the seats they are paying for. So they can either go with four people or cancel and request again. FYI they have all had to request twice before I got the replacement ride.
It would be MUCH better if the app gave the pax the ability to change ride type before the ride started.

hulksmash

There’s a few problems with canceling the standard ride and rebooking as XL:

-If the original ride was on PT, the PT may have come down after cancelling, so you may make the same $ or less on the XL ride.

-If you’re in a busy area, you may have a hard time matching up with the pax. Regular XL cars can’t turn off standard rides so you’ll likely keep getting those. Or pax may match up with someone further away. Lot of hassle to match up.

What I do is I politely inform the pax that I am unfairly losing money by taking more than 4 pax on standard, and request additional payment upfront to compensate. Sometimes what they pay is more than the extra money I would’ve made on the app.

applesvt

Once had a group of 5 ask if they could cancel and to request an XL when i wouldn't take them all. I said sure, she could cancel and call another. But what she wanted was me to magically become the XL.....i only have 5 seatbelts, and I need one...

Declineathon

I have done this about ten times now with minimal pushback and I kept the cancel fees. What I do is tell them that for insurance reasons I can only take the seats they are paying for. So they can either go with four people or cancel and request again. FYI they have all had to request twice before I got the replacement ride.
It would be MUCH better if the app gave the pax the ability to change ride type before the ride started.
I dont even offer that. I cancel. Well first i drone on and on about waybills, seats and insuance, then cancel.

Bubsie

"Regular XL cars can’t turn off standard rides so you’ll likely keep getting those. Or pax may match up with someone further away. Lot of hassle to match up."

If you have an XL vehicle you can turn off regular X pings. Unless this is market specific? As for getting other drivers when they try and get you as XL, have them keep cancelling till they get you.
Post automatically merged:

Cancel, rebook would not work, too close.
Depends how saturated the area is with drivers. I've had a rider sitting in my car, i went online, I showed up in his app, he requested, I got the ping. This was a trip where he wasn't sure he was going to get a ride back from his party, I gave him my number and said to call me if he had trouble getting a ride.

krbjmpr

What do you mean call them up for cancelations? is there a new # I don't know about? only option I have seen is email only, and it passes through at least 3 people before anything gets resolved.
Post automatically merged:

Hmm, I wonder if this has anything to do with hearing status. since I have it turned on, I can't call / get call but all Paxiots are still able to call?

LyftUberFuwabolewa

Exactly, not allowing the rider to change the class of ride after booking is really stupid. This is something that both apps definitely need to change.

But back to But back to your situation where you had them cancel and then rebook, did you not find that that affected your rating? I'm sure you know that Riders are very Petty and when they feel hurt or cheated in some way even if it's unreasonable they take it out on the driver's rating.

For that reason if I get an XL ride and they want to put more than 6 people in the car I just go ahead and cancel the ride even if they're willing to reduce the number of passengers. At that point there's a good chance they're going to be pissed and they're going to give you a poor rating. I'd rather miss a ride, collect the cancellation fee, and protect my rating.

MHR

If you have an XL vehicle you can turn off regular X pings. Unless this is market specific? As for getting other drivers when they try and get you as XL, have them keep cancelling till they get you.
Uber - yes. Lyft - no.

At least in my market.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

Uber - yes. Lyft - no.

At least in my market.
That's the same in my market too. With Lyft you're either on or off.

And with an Excel ping there's no guarantee but you're not going to have an issue with the number of riders. In fact I think I get more problems with people trying to fit 7 or more people into an XL than I do with people trying to fit 5 or more in an X ride. Even though you make better money for XL rides I think they tend to be more problematic especially on Friday and Saturday nights. There's some places in my area where I switch off or won't take XL rides on Friday and Saturday's nights.

Another thing that sucks about XL rides is when you get a pick up at Best Buy and it's a huge TV or it's a Costco or supermarket and they've got a ton of s***.

Reactions: MHR