Lyft may beat Uber in Self Driving Car race

UberBeemer

The joke will be on them. Their business model is putting all the cost on us. If they ditch that in favor of robots, they've got to sink a ton of cash into their fleet and support structure. They're shooting themselves in the ball joints.

xcnco

The joke will be on them. Their business model is putting all the cost on us. If they ditch that in favor of robots, they've got to sink a ton of cash into their fleet and support structure. They're shooting themselves in the ball joints.

Unless they find some sucker car company that bears the brunt of that capital. Then they lease the cars from that poor sap of a company. A lot of airlines actually lease airplanes because mgmt doesn't want it in their books. But knowing how dumb lyft/Uber they will "geniously" add the fleet to their books and have to add all the depreciation their books.

S_hicago

They'll just raise the rates to an acceptable level once they get rid of drivers.

Myself, I'll be ordering a ride to one of those places that the app thinks is in the middle of lower Wacker drive. I'll try my best to go all rubbery when I get hit so that I hopefully survive and collect some of that sweet sweet lawsuit money.

mags2K

So what happens when a Paxhole drops a shitbomb or shoots a vomit bullet and gets off the ride?
Does the self driving car take pics from all angles and file a claim report as well?

Mad Medic

You can't not have self driving cars in downtown, it just won't work how aggressive everyone is, suburbs maybe
Agreed, suburbs maybe city no.

I also dont see how they'd even be able to know about sudden street closures in the city. Had Nav telling me last night "make a right here" Sorry Uber I had to detour because a cement company with a backhole in use had that one closed today. Nav says "proceed straight on North Ave or Turn Right on Halsted" Sorry Uber navigation Halsted and North has been blocked off by CPD and CFD for about 4 hours now trying to investigate the fatal car crash.

Dont know how long before driverless cars would be able to navigate the unexpected