1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Lyft masking their ride switch with fake "Pax cancel ride" message

Discussion in 'Lyft' started by Beandriver, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Beandriver

Beandriver Member

Lyft is masking ride switching with fake "PAX cancel ride message" with a text message that looks legit too... no LYFT!! You canceled the ride not the PAX..

When you get a message that "Pax cancel ride" dont believe it.. its LYFT that cancel the ride and gave it to another driver..

This is unethical, making it look like the PAX cancel when they did not

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    DannyDrives and Okphillip like this.
  2. kcdrvr15

kcdrvr15 Active Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    This is the main reason I don't take normally accept pings more than 7 min away...

Another reason why lyft and fuber will fail, they don't recognize that they have two customers, one the rider, two the driver.

3. Soy

Soy New Member

I'm curious. How do you know it Lyft?

4. ROTA

ROTA Well-Known Member

Plent of costumers already said they didnt cancel

5. LEAFdriver

LEAFdriver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    Lyft
    Plus the fact they outright admitted to me once that they did indeed cancel it! :mad:

And remember, when they send you a text saying your PAX cancelled....they also send your pax a text that YOU cancelled!

This is a huge problem in areas where you have 'regular riders' and they are now under the impression that YOU, a driver they like and maybe even TIP....cancelled on them! :( Not good for the next time you pick them up and you forget to explain to them what REALLY happened that time and they low star you.

I have occasionally just continued to the pick up address anyway....and I usually always get there before the driver that they switched me with.....then I email Lyft asking for a cancellation fee since they STOLE my accepted ride....they will usually pay! o_O

6. kcdrvr15

kcdrvr15 Active Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    These are excellent situations where the driver has a chance to sell his "Private Car Service". Every unhappy rideshare pax is a business opportunity. Anytime a rideshare pax complains about the service, I give them a business card and invite them to call me directly the next time they have issues getting a ride. Do to uber\lyft what they did to the taxis, steal their customers by providing better service at a fair price.

rickasmith98 and DannyDrives like this.
  7. PickEmUp

PickEmUp Well-Known Member

Are you licensed in your state to operate independently as a TNC? Do you carry the required liability insurance? Have you met all the other state and city mandated criteria? If not, you are leaving yourself open to a lawsuit when something bad happens.

rickasmith98 and leroy jenkins like this.
  8. Don'tchasethesurge

Don'tchasethesurge Well-Known Member

I hate when you accepted a prime time at 150% and in your way there lyft changes your passenger... yea I cannot tell the new passenger rating or if it’s prime time. It is such bs!

rickasmith98 and Okphillip like this.
  9. Cndragon

Cndragon Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeah...too risky. My last job, part of it was driving our guests on a tour of our properties. Got rear ended and both me and my guest were injured. I was in physical therapy almost 6mths, she was taken away in ambulance and in therapy for a year. It was a combo of the other drivers insurance, workers comp and my companies insurance that handled or medical bills.

No way no how would I have been able to pay all that if that happened while I had someone in my car and I want covered for it.

Beyond that though, I guess the logistics would work better in a small town or something. My city is way too big to cater as a personal on call driver... I'd need to be paid accordingly.

Just talked to someone yesterday who said he has a deal with a guy to take him to the airport. He figures it's a good deal for the guy cause it's a guaranteed $20 every two weeks. The rate from where he lives would anyway be $12 for me as an X...except that guy drives an escalade.

I told my friend he's lucky to find a driver who is terrible at math and time management.

10. Skinny1

Skinny1 Well-Known Member

They don’t tell the pax you canceled, they say they found a better driver, they show the new wait time,

11. Wrb06wrx

Wrb06wrx Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    This has happend to me before but usually on longer pick up pings

12. kcdrvr15

kcdrvr15 Active Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Yes, I have comm livery insur and a bussiness lic. In Missouri, they have deregulated the livery bussiness, no taxi or tnc permit and exempt from further regs from county or city.

13. Mista T

Mista T Well-Known Member

Lucky you.
    In my state it's illegal without licensing, permits and insurance. We can be arrested on the spot, car towed, $1,000 fine, and jail time for repeat offenses. Plus deactivated by U/L if they find out, for harming their brand.

14. Drivincrazy

Drivincrazy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Best to comply with all laws and insurance requirements. Never accept cash rides as so many have posted.

15. Jesses

Jesses New Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    In my area, I know almost all of the drivers and talk to them when we're out driving on busy nights. I talked to a driver who had a Lyft cancel on them that said the customer canceled. Lyft swapped that passenger to me when I finished a drop off at the location where the customer pickup was.

The customer told me they were assigned the other driver, then the app just updated and said, "we found you a closer driver!" The other driver saw a passenger cancellation. I saw a new passenger.

In some cases, like this, one, it actually worked out best for everyone. But the means is a little deceptive -- technically, yes, the passenger could cancel and re-request and get a closer driver. But Lyft is doing that for them.

16. Johnydoo

Johnydoo Well-Known Member

Best for everyone? How?

17. Jesses

Jesses New Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Instead of each of us driving to the other's location to pick up a PAX, it swapped them so we were each within a minute of our pax.

It was best for each driver because each driver avoided an 8 minute unpaid drive. It was best for each passenger because their driver was available 7-8 minutes faster.

18. LEAFdriver

LEAFdriver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    Lyft
    With me......in MY market.....time to pick up passenger isn't the ONLY criteria I consider.

For example, I have a regular rider that tips me $5 every time I bring him to work...which is about 2-3 times a week. I already know where he's going when I get his ping. I would be VERY upset if I accepted his ping....and then got switched to someone 'closer' whom I do not know from Adam and do not know where they are going and whether or not they tip.

I am pretty good at telling from the incoming ping approx how far the person might be going. It's not a 100% science...but it's been working for me so far. So in other words, just because it might be '8 minutes closer' doesn't mean it will be a better/more lucrative ride! I don't like 'algorithms' to decide that for me! :(

DannyDrives and grams777 like this.
  19. Jesses

Jesses New Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Sure, I understand that, which is why i prefaced my experience with 'in this case'.

Depending on how busy/big your market is, you're getting paired with riders by an algorithm already. If conditions change and the algorithm finds a better pairing and it swaps, you could go from a further away passenger to your $5 tipper just as easily.

I'm not defending the way Lyft approaches the issue. I don't like it. I think they need more transparency about how it works at the minimum. And even allow drivers to lock a PAX if it's someone they know or a ride they know they want.

What's even worse is that I've also seen examples several times where I come online and get a fare immediately, and it gave me that fare from another driver who doesn't even get an offer in return.

I don't generally care how many fares i get (I'm not doing Lyft to make money) so I will usually be offline if I'm talking to other drivers in our area or if i notice there are enough drivers already online to handle things. In this case, she got the fare and there were no available drivers, so I waited a minute and came online and Lyft gave mer her passenger and told her that the passenger canceled.

Lyft also gives priority to people in a region or city if they're registered in that region or city. For example, I can drive anywhere in Wisconsin legally, but if I pick up in Madison while i'm registered in Eau Claire, I get a lower priority than local Madison drivers.

There is a lot that goes into these algorithms and so it's easy to only see the bad in them, especially if the company setting them up is not being transparent. A wiser man than myself once told me, "never attribute to maliciousness which you can attribute to incompetence" when it comes to software behavior, and I find it's often true.

20. Tom Harding

Tom Harding Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I see cancellations from Lyft all the time. They either are cancelled by the pax or I cancel them when the trip is too far away. 5 out of 8 trips were cancelled. 1 by me and 4 by the rides, according to Lyft. I got tired of the B.S. from Lyft and switched to Uber that day.

Attached Files: