Lyft Line > Uber Pool

LyftKing$$

Obviously Uber's ability to cancel out future request is a huge deal, but as far as actual earnings and tolerance for doing it, my experience with Lyft is a lot greater.

Lyft passengers in my experience are 80% more likely to tip, which means in a Lyft Line of 3 passengers your odds of getting at least one, maybe even two tips increases significantly.

Last night I had a 100% surge line from Hollywood to USC. 35 minutes. $27. 4 pickups, two of which tipped, and because it's Lyft, everyone was super chill and non entitled.

Also, due to Lyft's PDB being pretty decent most weeks, the Line feature is worth a bit more in the regards as well.

Just my finding.

Carbalbm

Lyft Line pays the same as a normal Lyft ride. UberPool pays a lower rate than Uber X. That's a pretty big difference alone.

Dropking

"Lyft Line pays the same as a normal Lyft ride. UberPool pays a lower rate than Uber X. That's a pretty big difference alone."

This is a false meme that Lyft would like you to believe as a driver. When they first announced that Line would equal normal Lyft rates, they put a loud statement in the driver app which proclaimed that Lyft Line was paying higher rates than Uber Pool. After a week, this message was replaced with a message that did not mention Uber, presumably after Uber's lawyers sent them a threatening letter showing all the different markets and circumstances where Pool pays more than Lyft Line.

But the main reason Lyft Line does NOT pay the same as normal Lyft is common sense when you consider time.

Here are two scenarios:

1. Normal Lyft: Drive 4 miles, 1 pax, 10 minutes of time, for $6.00. Pick up next pax, drive 10 miles, 20 minutes, for $12.00. 30 minutes total, $18.00 total.
  2. Lyft Line: Drive 4 miles, loops all over downtown to pick up 3 pax, 30 minutes of time, for $7.00.

The idea that Lyft Line pays the same as regular Lyft is nonsense.

Carbalbm

"Lyft Line pays the same as a normal Lyft ride. UberPool pays a lower rate than Uber X. That's a pretty big difference alone."

This is a false meme that Lyft would like you to believe as a driver. When they first announced that Line would equal normal Lyft rates, they put a loud statement in the driver app which proclaimed that Lyft Line was paying higher rates than Uber Pool. After a week, this message was replaced with a message that did not mention Uber, presumably after Uber's lawyers sent them a threatening letter showing all the different markets and circumstances where Pool pays more than Lyft Line.

But the main reason Lyft Line does NOT pay the same as normal Lyft is common sense when you consider time.

Here are two scenarios:

1. Normal Lyft: Drive 4 miles, 1 pax, 10 minutes of time, for $6.00. Pick up next pax, drive 10 miles, 20 minutes, for $12.00. 30 minutes total, $18.00 total.
  2. Lyft Line: Drive 4 miles, loops all over downtown to pick up 3 pax, 30 minutes of time, for $7.00.

The idea that Lyft Line pays the same as regular Lyft is nonsense.

"For drivers, Line rates match original Lyft nationwide." Source: https://www.lyft.com/cities/san-francisco-ca

Your example is complete nonsense. You compare 2 rides, with varying mileage (4 and 10) to one with only 4. You're an idiot.

Here is a real world example, where in each scenario you only pick up 1 passenger and drive 10 miles in 10 minutes:
1. Normal Lyft pays: ($2 base fare + $0.22*10 minutes + $1.15*10 miles)*75% = $11.78
2. Lyft Line pays: ($2 base fare + $0.22*10 minutes + $1.15*10 miles)*75% = $11.78
3. UberX pays: ($2 base fare + $0.22*10 minutes + $1.15*10 miles)*75% = $11.78
4. UberPOOL pays: ($2 base fare + $0.15*10 minutes + $1.10*10 miles)*75% = $10.88

Do you see the difference? UberPOOL pays 7.7% less than UberX/Lyft/Lyft Line. Now imagine, rather than waiting between pax 1 and pax 2, you picked pax 2 up along the way. And continued 10 more miles after dropping off pax 1... Lyft Line has the potential to earn the most money possible without the delay between passengers.

Jesus christ, the amount of bullshit spouted on this forum... no wonder Uber/Lyft clean up off the backs of you idiots.

Dropking

"If we all refuse pool and line, we don't have to try to figure out which is better."

Heh. Better yet, let's give all the Line rides to Carbalbm. Some people just love those 1 hour line rides that criss-cross Market Street back and forth, pick up 5 passengers, and later, like all rookies do, feel confused that they only made $12 in an hour. But hey, it's the same 4 miles so "Lyft Line pays the same as regular Lyft." :smiles:

And by the way, Line riders and Pool passengers are by definition "cheapskates" who seldom tip. I don't mean this term "cheapskate" disparagingly. They are generally students and over-their-heads professionals on very limited budgets and I feel sorry for them. If you are willing to put up with a 40 minute ride to go 2 miles in downtown SF just to save $2, and willing to request a ride that financially screws drivers, you've got some serious pocket book concerns.

Last edited:

Julescase

"If we all refuse pool and line, we don't have to try to figure out which is better."

Heh. Better yet, let's give all the Line rides to Cabalbm. Some people just love those 1 hour line rides that criss-cross Market Street back and forth, pick up 5 passengers, and later, like all rookies do, feel confused that they only made $12 in an hour. But hey, it's the same 4 miles so "Lyft Line pays the same as regular Lyft." :smiles:

And by the way, Line riders and Pool passengers are by definition "cheapskates" who seldom tip. I don't mean this term "cheapskate" disparagingly. They are generally students and over-their-heads professionals on very limited budgets and I feel sorry for them. If you are willing to put up with a 40 minute ride to go 2 miles in downtown SF just to save $2, and willing to request a ride that financially screws drivers, you've got some serious pocket book concerns.

Their "serious pocket book concerns " are probably the least of their concerns; if they need to stoop so low as to request Pool, they have life issues far more serious than their pocketbooks. They are:

1) willing to be known as the scum of the earth by anyone who drives for Uber
2) willing to short change their drivers with zero remorse or accountability
3) willing to be stuffed into a car with absolute strangers (that most likely smell unpleasant and to be whom #1 and # 2 above also apply)

Pool pax are heinous, atrocious people who should be taking the bus, for God's sake.

ClydeClyde

Their "serious pocket book concerns " are probably the least of their concerns; if they need to stoop so low as to request Pool, they have life issues far more serious than their pocketbooks. They are:

1) willing to be known as the scum of the earth by anyone who drives for Uber
2) willing to short change their drivers with zero remorse or accountability
3) willing to be stuffed into a car with absolute strangers (that most likely smell unpleasant and to be whom #1 and # 2 above also apply)

Pool pax are heinous, atrocious people who should be taking the bus, for God's sake.

How do you feel about pax who take pool/line and then b*tch about it publicly, as if they deserve to NOT sit through Bowl traffic? This pleases me :biggrin:

Attachments

• Bowl Traffic.jpeg
    Bowl Traffic.jpeg
    14 KB · Views: 30

Jesusdrivesuber

Line

42 miles / 1 hour 30 mins = 39 dollars for me.

85 cents a mile 13 cents a min

You be the judge.

I still rather skip lines, the pax smell.

Dropking

I would rather do the 42 miles in 42 minutes for $35 dollars, then spend the next 48 minutes giving another 48 mile ride for $45 more dollars, total of $80. That's why Lift Line pays significantly less than regular Lyft.