Lyft is Raising Fares But Not Cutting Us In?

AllenChicago

September 22, 2017

I seem to recall reading that Lyft added something like $1.45 to each fare, for administrate-related expenses. That $1.45 was not shown on our phone, or included for commission calculation. (For example, at drop-off, passengers would see $10.00 on their screen, and the fare on our driver screen would show $8.55.)

Upon drop-off this week, I asked a couple of passengers what fare was showing on their phones.

1. Passenger #1 showed $12.60. I showed $8.70. That's a whopping $3.90 difference, that's non-commissionable to the driver.

2. Passenger #2 showed $18.70. My phone showed $12.48. That's an insane $6.22 that's not commissionable to the driver!

Are the rest of you seeing this same madness in your markets/regions? (I'm in the Chicago market.)

ShinyAndChrome

Up front pricing. Been around for a while. We are paid strictly on time and distance - less commission.
1) So if lyft/uber quote a 10 mile journey at $15, but me and the pax decide that the shorter route is the way to go with less highway and we trim that down to 6 miles, the Pax still pays $15, right? But now instead of my wage based on 10 miles + time, it's only 6 miles + time, is that true? Because a few times I've deliberately cut the journey way down to shave miles except i know I make the most by miles. I wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot.

2) Now on the other hand if uber/lyft quotes 6 miles and $10 and me and pax for whatever reason take a longer route and go 10 miles, they'll end up paying more AND I get the 10 mile commission, true?

3) Sometimes uber/lyft will give them a route when they order that is different than mine, so the pax ends up with a surprise detour...I think.

New2This

1) So if lyft/uber quote a 10 mile journey at $15, but me and the pax decide that the shorter route is the way to go with less highway and we trim that down to 6 miles, the Pax still pays $15, right? But now instead of my wage based on 10 miles + time, it's only 6 miles + time, is that true? Because a few times I've deliberately cut the journey way down to shave miles except i know I make the most by miles. I wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot.

2) Now on the other hand if uber/lyft quotes 6 miles and $10 and me and pax for whatever reason take a longer route and go 10 miles, they'll end up paying more AND I get the 10 mile commission, true?

3) Sometimes uber/lyft will give them a route when they order that is different than mine, so the pax ends up with a surprise detour...I think.

1. Yes you're shooting yourself in the foot. I understand wanting to go the shortest way possible to make the trip as quick as possible, but the way that things are now you really have to go the long way to make any money. It's sad but that's the way that they've set it up.

2. From what I understand, at least on Uber, unless you take them to Cleveland they pay the same rate no matter what.

3. I know on Uber, when they show the writer the suggested route, it's always way longer than what we're showed. Luckily if you use Google Maps it shows different alternative routes, and I always look for the longest one that's within a couple of minutes of the same time.

If you look at some of the payouts on Uber where it shows what the writer pays versus what we get paid we are getting fornicated like kids in a Penn State shower

AllenChicago

Thank-you for the feedback everyone! The two passengers I referred to in the initial post to start this thread, are regulars. Same trips/same routes for the past 18 months.

They mildly complained last week that the Lyft fare keeps increasing. I told them that my screen has always shown approximately the same fare, for over a year now.

That's why I asked them this week to show me the fare on their screen after I closed out the ride, so we could compare. I was STUNNED! In both instances, I took out my calculator after they left the car and ran the math. A whopping 31% difference between the fare showing on my phone and the fare that was showing on their phone!!!

Lyft continually sends out these e-mails and messages, bragging about "how hard we're working to increase your income".

We were issued a modified Driver's contract in 2016, I believe. Did anyone read it? I didn't. Maybe there's wording in there that explain the new compensation screw-over. Although I'm sure the wording is sugar-coated legalese.

Thebiggestscam

I'm so sick of everyone's crying . Like honestly Uber/Lyft rip people off drivers and pax it's a known fact yet people still use it ,completely mind boggling. Why would you even continue to operate your vehicle for these expenses does not make sense the math does not add up at all your just contributing to the problem by hitting that "GoOnline" button and accepting rides smdh when will most wake up and just find employment elsewhere already and save yourself the headache of giving complete strangers a ride which you know nothing about or who or where they even come from ,remember at the end of the day when driverless cars do come and it will I do t wanna hear all the people who cry wolf either complaining how these companies screwed you over from the very getgo

dannyg1

Yes you have a choice. Take the longer route with waze and put more miles on your car and get paid more or the less mile trip usually they are the same amount of time unless its not far away.