1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Lyft Is Now Everywhere in 40 States

Discussion in 'Lyft' started by grams777, Aug 31, 2017.

1. grams777

grams777 Moderator Moderator

Lyft Is Now Live Across 40 Entire States - Everywhere

Yep, you read that right. Whether you’re visiting family, friends, on a business trip or shopping trip, you can now get a Lyft ride anywhere in the states below:

[​IMG]

IMG_0252.GIF

https://blog.lyft.com/posts/live-across-40-states

------

Lyft just gobbled up 40 entire states abandoning the metro area only model and catching Uber apparently off guard.

2. Johnydoo

Johnydoo Well-Known Member

**** THEM! (;))

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    EX_, Cynergie, melusine3 and 4 others like this.
  3. PepeLePiu

PepeLePiu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I will love to have me some of them long distance country rides. I been asked several times if I can do pick ups on rural ares to go to the city. I will try it and see how it goes.

4. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

News Flash: The United States of America has -- count 'em -- 50 states. So Lyft is not exactly "everywhere."

They are also just now dipping their little toesies into states where Uber has been well-established for years.

Why is a mod hyping Lyft? Do you work for Lyft?

I actually like Lyft, but this is bizarre.

5. grams777

grams777 Moderator Moderator

It pretty clearly says everywhere across 40 states. The news is that unlike Uber they're not isolated into just certain metro areas. The term everywhere in this context means across the whole state in 40 states. It is meant to differentiate from meaning it only had a presence in certain states. Otherwise it would say everywhere across every state or the country or something.

This is a forum. It's a place for news and such as has happened for thousands of posts for years. I'd say it's worthy of a mention as much if not more than anything else posted on the forum. If Lyft or Uber just added 10,000 cities, that would be a similar newsworthy item. This basically did just that.

The format of the post is that of the news forum but placed here since its specific for Lyft. The format is to place the news title, snippet and picture first then comment afterward. The opinion which is mine merged with the post due to merge timing so it was placed and separated below it.

I wouldn't read more into it than what it is. It's a place for this topic that just happened to be read and discussed. Moderators are just regular members that help out. Posting something unrelated to forum administration does not indicate a sitewide endorsement.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017

6. JuanMoreTime

JuanMoreTime Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I just moved to Northern Michigan at the end of July, and figured that I had left rideshare behind for the foreseeable future. Getting this news this morning was great news, because Traverse City, MI where I live now is a tourist mecca, (at least until the leaves fall) and the tourists have been crying out for Uber or Lyft. Right now, I'm literally the only Lyft driver in town. As soon as I get my region changed and pass out some referral cards in the local bars, I'm going to be doing fairly well, I'll bet! Until this morning, the nearest city that had rideshare was 2 1/2 hours away.

7. Mista T

Mista T Well-Known Member

I almost like the idea of a long country drive.

Of course, theres no way I'm travelling 85 minutes to pick up someone at some remote beach town, LOL. We're talking a serious pickup fee, plus advance knowledge of pax destination.

I believe Lyft caps the ride $$ at $400 or $450, dont they? Can anyone confirm that for me?

melusine3 and grams777 like this.
  8. KK2929

KK2929 Active Member

I, also, got notice today (Thur) that I can pickup and drop off through out California. I thought that was always a done deal. Anyone know what is correct. I am in the L.A. area.
    I ask Lyft Support. The person that answered gave me the incorrect information.

9. unPat

unPat Well-Known Member

525954741.136958public.png Never take the number given by lyft at face value. So that $8 is actually a $6 fare, but you will net $4 .

So lyft is available upto 40 states but in reality , only 20 states.

Here in Florida, there are places and cities where lyft is still not available. Uber on the other hand is pretty much everywhere. If you are ready to pay for it Uber will arrange a pick For you.

DeplorableDonald likes this.
  10. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

No kidding.
    Sneaky Lyft.
    Uber really is off balance.
    I didnt see this one coming.

Yes but
    This is a Game Changer !

Kalee likes this.
  11. dirtylee

dirtylee Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Nope.

GL with those 1 hr pings fools.

JayAre likes this.
  12. 1rightwinger

1rightwinger Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Makes sense why wouldn't they? NO doubt will pick up some rural rides.....but I believe that uber could now also copy this fairly quickly. Very soon you will see uber having the same coverage of entire states.

Brandon0315 likes this.
  13. swingset

swingset Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I pity the dopes that leave their cities to go fetch a ping 25 minutes away to find out it's a $5 ride to the Family Dollar down the road.

You have to be a special kind of desperate to help Lyft pretend it's a Verizon coverage map.

madmat, RipCityWezay, Mista T and 4 others like this.
  14. 1rightwinger

Driving:
    UberXL
    This actually makes a compelling argument for Lyft (and Uber who will soon likely copy this) to make the destination known to the driver prior to ping acceptance. Otherwise drivers will not go out of their way to take these. Some of them may be long trips and worthwhile.....but driver will need to know up front. Here is something else that would help (lyft., Uber are you listening?)....up front tipping. Yup, let the customer commit to a tip up front in order to entice a driver to drive 30 miles out of town to give them a ride. They want rural America but want to pay low rates? - This would make it a more viable service.

15. Uberfunitis

Uberfunitis Well-Known Member

Can they take the tip back if when the driver gets there the service is awful, the car breaks down etc

Brandon0315 likes this.
  16. swingset

swingset Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Up front tipping is the only way that could offset the cherry picking if they give us ride info up front. I doubt either would ever happen. Especially if Lyft is involved.

17. 1rightwinger

Driving:
    UberXL
    No, not the way I would do it. It is an incentive to get a driver to go out of his way 30 miles for a small fare. The offer tip amount could show up in the ping so drivers see the incentive and then can decide if they want to take it. There could also still be the normal tip feature so that after the ride the pax can leave a tip for excellent service.

Bottom line is there needs to be an inventive to get a driver to go out of his way. Wether it is called an up front tip or a higher fare or a surcharge etc I think that adding something like this would help lyft and uber and drivers and passengers. It would make it easier for people to get quicker rides if they are willing to pay more. Heck this could even be used on in town rides - if someone really needs a ride but no driver is accepting and the person is willing to pay more they can offer an incentive and get a driver.

What lyft did here - it also opens up many cities/towns that did not have srvice before. This is not just an addition of rural service. There are several other sizeable cities in these states that did not have rideshare before and now suddenly it is available to them. Again, I don't see why uber wouldn't copy this move within the week.

Garbage Plate and Mista T like this.
  18. RideshareSpectrum

RideshareSpectrum Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yo Team Fresno (Sac, Modesto, Stockton, Bakersfield, Reno et al) you heard?!
    This is great news so there’s No need to come to the Bay this weekend. We got it covered.

tohunt4me likes this.
  19. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

They can set a destination To the Bay and be PAID TO COMMUTE NOW !

negeorgia likes this.
  20. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Just because you can *try* to get a car anywhere in those 40 states doesn't mean you'll be successful.

madmat, JimKE and negeorgia like this.