1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Lyft is being dishonest about the percentage of the fare they keep?

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by Tombuilder, Feb 27, 2018.

1. So I am relatively new to Lyft, and I have never driven for Uber. From what I understand Lyft claims it keeps 20%. Lately I've had some passengers tell me what they paid for the ride and after doing the math it looks like Lyft is getting 50% of the fare in many cases! How is this not illegal? So the base fare where I live is 3 dollars and every time I ask the pax what they paid it's usually 6 dollars and I only get 3 of that. It seems like on short rides Lyft takes about 50% the other day I had a ride that was about 100 miles and the guy showed me on his phone what he paid at the end of the Lyft took 40 dollars of the fair, leaving me with about 65% of the fare instead of the promised 80%.... So what gives? I even checked my dashboard and Lyft lied about what the pax paid. It basically reconciled it with what would have been an 80/20 split, but, after looking at what the pax actually paid (on his phone) I could see that it was WRONG and I was getting fleeced. How is this ok? Anyone else notice this with Lyft? Can anyone explain this to me???

2. Where did you get this information?

SurgeWarrior likes this.
  3. From Lyfts website...

4. you sure about that? :rolleyes:

5. Either way, can you answer my question or not? If I'm wrong, tell me what percentage Lyft keeps and where you got that info from

6. Just as you noticed, it's different every time.
    They charge pax an upfront price, and while sometimes that could be a nice surge fare for them , you don't get a cut of that unless it was a surge ride for you.

You simply get paid x amount for miles and x amount for time, regardless of what pax is paying.

reg barclay likes this.
  7. Uber is worse they steal tips!!!!

8. Ribak

Ribak

It’s part off doing business. A frustrating part, but a reality of rideshare. Think if the scenario were turned around. What if we, as drivers, collected 100% and were responsible for reimbursing LYFT 20%. Further assume that this was based on a flat fare the customer is quoted. Mathematically, if the quoted fare was $10, but the ride ended with a payment of $20 (traffic delays, road construction, destination change, etc...), Would you reimburse LYFT $2 or $4? I am not defending LYFT or justifying their method. It is what it is.

reg barclay likes this.
  9. Leo1983

Leo1983

When you pick up a passenger the route you see in the Lyft app that’s what the customer has been charged based on.
    What I used to do is when I saw that the customer was being charged over $5 I would recommend they contact Lyft and ask to be charged based on time and distance.
    I’m not sure they do but I comment on my end to refund the passenger.
    Every time I’ve notified the customer to the discrepancy they’ve tipped me the difference.

10. CJfrom619

CJfrom619

Driving:
    UberX
    Bigger problem then Lyft taking more then 20% from you is the fact that you do Lyft only and not Uber. I would highly recommend doing both and if you can only do one..go with uber. 56% of all ground transportation excluding public was given by Uber. Only 12% from Lyft.

11. Leo1983

Leo1983

As a company I like Lyft better (even though it’s the same **** as Uber)
    But Uber does have better clients. Lyft customers don’t request during prime don’t tip are who’s who of human crap.
    Uber’s bad rep literally drove all the millennial and under to Lyft (the crap customers)

SabreUber and SurgeWarrior like this.
  12. o_O wrong. I get tipped and prime time from Lyft all the time

13. backcountryrez

backcountryrez

Driving:
    Lyft
    YMMV. In two days I've made 6x more on Lyft than on Uber. Last week I received $100+ fares on Lyft every weekday. Only one $100+ on Uber all week.

14. Shhh, Uber is the best!! *wink, wink*

JMlyftuber likes this.
  15. CJfrom619

CJfrom619

Driving:
    UberX
    Did you read my post? Did you see the facts I posted? Numbers don’t lie. Uber gives you 4x more business then Lyft. Those are facts not made up numbers.

I’ve been doing rideshare for more then 4 years I know how both Uber/Lyft operate. Uber is more profitable period.

16. Leo1983

Leo1983

Almost all primetime is under 100% and anything above 100 is mostly minimum fares and only long trips tip. But those are becoming rare.

Ps: what you consider primetime and a tip might differ from my expectations.

17. dirtylee

dirtylee

Driving:
    UberX
    This is a dumb thread.

Yes, both Uber & Lyft charge pax more than actual mile/time . Been going on for a while.
    Uber averages about 10-15% extra on the gross fare{not including booking fee/tolls/airport surcharges}.
    example in Dallas -
    actual min fare 3.80 + 2.45 booking = 6.25 pax charge.
    upfront min fare 3.80 + 2.45 + x.xx = ~6.61 - 6.63 pax charge like clockwork.

both cases driver only gets $2.85 :mad:

Ziggy and MHR like this.
  18. Depending on where you live

19. Yes they dont they arent being honest about the upfront pricing. They are hiding primetimes too. Be careful

20. 416 Stand Up

416 Stand Up

Lyft won't pay me my money. Going to get a lawyer

Tnasty likes this.