1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Lyft in Baton Rouge

Discussion in 'Baton Rouge' started by Joe Jackson, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Joe Jackson

Joe Jackson Member

Hello forum, Lyft is about to launch in Baton Rouge real soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2017
    tohunt4me likes this.
  2. stevedmc

stevedmc Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Who is your source? I've been a Lyft driver since its first day in New Orleans and I haven't heard any announcements.

tohunt4me likes this.
  3. Joe Jackson

Joe Jackson Member

I received a text this morning. Maybe I received it because I'm also a mentor. Who knows!!!

tohunt4me likes this.
  4. stevedmc

Driving:
    UberX
    Who knows is right. I'm a mentor as well and didn't receive any texts.

tohunt4me likes this.
  5. Lyft225

Lyft225 New Member

I'm so excited for Lyft to come to Baton Rouge, although I know that there is some concern coming from drivers and fans of Uber. But I don't think there should be.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an Uber fan too. (Especially on National Ice Cream Day!) But as a community with a strong sense of southern hospitality and a growing niche for tech and innovation, we should embrace Lyft's rideshare program as an opportunity for our city's growth. Sure, Lyft may pose some competition for Uber, but who is to say you can't be a driver for both companies? And let's be honest, welcoming Lyft is also an opportunity to provide locals and LSU students with a safe and reliable transportation program that the city doesn't have to pay for! That alone sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Have you tried Lyft in another city? If so, how did you like it and how did it compare with Uber?

Enjoy the ride Baton Rouge!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2017

6. stevedmc

Driving:
    UberX
    I sent an email to Lyft today asking about them entering the Baton Rouge market. This is my email, their response, and my reply. I'll let you guys know how they respond to my last email when/if that happens. For what its worth, I think this thread was just created by a naive person who thinks he will make a few dollars off of referrals. Soliciting for referrals isn't something UberPeople.net allows. I know because I tried to do the same thing back when I was a newbie.

Me:
    I heard that Lyft is going to be entering Baton Rouge soon. I am currently a Lyft driver in New Orleans but I only live 20 minutes from Baton Rouge.

I would like to be setup to do mentor sessions in Baton Rouge and I would like to drive in Baton Rouge once Lyft become available. I would really like to be the first person to drive for Lyft in Baton Rouge.

Lyft:
    Thanks for your advanced interest in joining the program and driving in Baton Rouge.

At this time, we aren't currently operating in Baton Rouge but please write back once we're activated and we'll see what we can do to get you involved in that city.

Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Me:
    Thanks for getting back with me. Do you know when Lyft will be entering Baton Rouge?⁣

tohunt4me likes this.
  7. DJF

DJF Member

I got the text from Lyft today too. Lyft has been much better for me when I was in NOLA. Seems passengers know Lyft is better to drivers than Uber.

tohunt4me likes this.
  8. negeorgia

negeorgia Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Lyft has been in Athens, GA for 4 months. After 2 months they canceled the power driver bonus for Athens Lyft drivers. The tip option is great, but only 10-15% tip (2-4% of my Uber riders tip). Last week I had 70 UberX and 9 Lyft trips. The $5 off first 10 trips is great for new customers. I have only been offered guarantees for 2 weekends in 4 months which is absurd, Uber had weekly guarantees (exception for Christmas week). The worst part is not knowing if a request has peak pricing. There have been a few occasions were Lyft surge lingered after Ubers had dropped and pax took Lyft assuming it was a lower price than Uber and I got a ride with peak and more money than I expected. The strangest thing is some destinations appear to have a built in surge price in the estimate and I don't know if that extra is shared with the driver or not.

tohunt4me and Xanvel like this.
  9. stevedmc

Driving:
    UberX
    This is the last response I received from Lyft:

At this time we don't have a timeline to share, but we'll be sure to let you know if we launch there in the near future.

Sorry I don't have a more specific answer for you.

tohunt4me likes this.
  10. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Wonder if you can drive N.O.L.A.,Lafayette,and Baton Rouge on Lyft like you can with Uber ?

11. tohunt4me

That seems odd.
    Seems like Mentors would get first notice.

12. Cocobird

Cocobird Well-Known Member

I wanna be a mentor, do you get paid more?

tohunt4me likes this.
  13. tohunt4me

Ask Joe Jackson,ask stevedmc.
    Both are Lyft Mentors.
    I know nothing about the mentor side of things.

14. Cocobird

Cocobird Well-Known Member

If I did do Lyft, I'd want to be a mentor because it seems as easy as becoming an Uber driver, except mo money, mo money, mo money.

tohunt4me likes this.
  15. tohunt4me

Probably get more mentor sessions than rides with Lyft.

Joe Jackson and negeorgia like this.
  16. stevedmc

Driving:
    UberX
    You have to drive for a while before Lyft invites you to be a mentor. You also have to maintain a high rating.

Mentors get $20 for doing quick training sessions. Basically you meet a new driver, take pictures of their vehicle and insurance card, and answer whatever silly questions they have.

I've only done one Lyft mentor session because I just don't' feel like driving to Nola to make $20. I plan to start doing mentor sessions in Baton Rouge if we ever get Lyft out here.

Lyft still won't tell me their launch date, but from what I can tell they are coming to Baton Rouge.

Xanvel likes this.
  17. Xanvel

Xanvel Active Member

Starting Thursday, according to the local rag, The Advocate... ain't competition grand?

18. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Xanvel likes this.
  19. Xanvel

Xanvel Active Member

I would say so... even had a quote about them being good to drivers. Shots fired...

20. stevedmc

Driving:
    UberX
    Did Lyft ever launch today? I heard on the radio that it started today. When I tried signing onto Lyft in BR around 9 am I got a message saying it isn't yet available.

I'm in Nola right now so I can't check it from here.