1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

LYFT! Halfway to 17min pickup and no cancel fee

Discussion in 'Advice' started by UberLady10001, Jul 13, 2018.

1. UberLady10001

UberLady10001

Driving:
    UberX
    So I was sitting in a Marriot Hotel parking lot this morning that's located in the middle of an office/park/campus. I've got both apps on and I get pinged. Lyft pings first and I take it. Uber pings a couple seconds later with a ride 3 minutes away (a good chance it was an airport ride or a 5 minute shortie to one of the nearby offices). So I cancel the UBER since LYFT pinged first and I had already accepted the LYFT ride.
    IT'S 17 MINUTES AWAY! Thru heavy traffic. 10 minutes later I'm halfway to the pickup, stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and the ride cancels. Lyft pays me $0 and here's the message they have in the app:

"The rider cancelled this ride because you were scheduled to arrrive later than your original ETA, so this ride isn't eligible for a cancellation fee. Rides like this one don't affect your acceptance rate."

And I was actually ahead of the scheduled arrive time because I had already leapfrogged traffic a couple of times.
    So I'm 10 minutes in, missed a close by UBER ride, AND stuck I'm in traffic. Grrrrr.

Rakos and LyftNewbie10 like this.
  2. I know your already don't like me because I'm always criticizing you.

So I'm not going criticise what you say you did in this thread like i have in every other one of your threads

I'm simply going to quote your own words.

That's it. Enjoy.

3. Since you have successfully identified the cause and effect in your post, the solution would be to take 3 minute pings instead of 17 in the future.

4. UberLady10001

UberLady10001

Driving:
    UberX
    I had no way of knowing it was a 17 minute ride.
    Don't have a crystal ball.

Wilhelm Klink and LyftNewbie10 like this.
  5. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Suggestion:

Accept both, then decide once you can tell how far you are from each. Then cancel the one you don't want.

Terri Lee, Rakos, Coachman and 3 others like this.
  6. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

Wut

It says right at the bottom of the Waze screen how many minutes it’ll take

7. UberLady10001

UberLady10001

Driving:
    UberX
    This ping didn't have an ETA time. I couldn't tell until AFTER I accepted it.

Also, there's another issue. I had driven halfway there and didn't get any $$$$ for cancellation fee.

Wilhelm Klink and LyftNewbie10 like this.
  8. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

So? Is your cancel button broken?

Practice this:

“aw HELLLL NO”
    ***slam that cancel button***
    ***turn off Lyft***

This may sound like I’m joking but I’m not. This is business, and driving 17 minutes with no pay is just bad business.

T&W, Julescase, -JR- and 8 others like this.
  9. UberLady10001

UberLady10001

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm skating on thin ice with Lyft already ratings-wise.

10. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

I think I read that wrong. You mean Lyft is on thin ice with you for sending you on wild goose chases, right?

That’s why you turn it off. Also.. with Lyft this happens at certain times of day. Turn the app off and only turn it back on when the time is right for *you*. When traffic is better, when more riders are available or whatever.

Rakos, mrpjfresh and Uber's Guber like this.
  11. Guyinarehat

Guyinarehat

No cancel fee ... no problem .... complain nicely , mention your time and effort .... they should hook you up.

12. Nats121

Nats121

The ETA for arrival is supposed to show during the ping.

How long has the app been failing to show the ETA?

Maybe there's an issue with your lyft app.

Uber's Guber likes this.
  13. UberLady10001

UberLady10001

Driving:
    UberX
    First time today.
    I think I'll sign out/sign in.

14. JimKE

JimKE

Of course you did. It's right on the ride request with both apps.

One of the things we all learn as we gain experience is NOT to jump at accepting ride requests. Read ALL the info on the request and then make a rational decision. If it's not a good ride, don't accept it. Acceptance rate means nothing.

And think things through BEFORE you turn the app on. I never accept Lyft rides more than 10 minutes away...ever. If you do, Lyft will let you drive almost there and cancel you because another driver came online a block closer -- and pay you nothing.

I don't take Uber rides more than about 7 minutes away unless they are XL.

Danny3xd, Rakos and Uber's Guber like this.
  15. So you are saying that you accept every Lyft request without looking at the travel time? And in this case, you got an Uber ping (which you looked at, but rejected), and THEN you noticed that Lyft wanted you to go 17 minutes away?

1. Don't do dat anymore.

2. Tell Lyft that you were on schedule and not your fault that traffic sucks. They will give you the $5.

16. oldfart

oldfart

Driving:
    UberXL
    The patient says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "Then don't do that!" (Henny Youngman)

Yesterday at the airport, I got a Lyft and an Uber XL (long ride 60+) ping at the same time.. I accepted one and rejected the other
    based on the info presented I rejected one and accepted the other

Bottom line is although I wish we got more info on the ping, but the fact is I get enough to make a decision

Julescase, Rakos and Uber's Guber like this.
  17. UberLady10001

UberLady10001

Driving:
    UberX
    Not this ping. The information that it was 17 minutes away was NOT on the ping. It had no ETA information at all whatsoever.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  18. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    They've stopped giving you any information about where the p/u is? When did this happen?

Never mind... I just saw what you said about this.

New question: why would you accept a ride with no p/u information?

HotUberMess likes this.
  19. UberLady10001

UberLady10001

Driving:
    UberX
    It's the first time this has has happened to me. I hesitated before accepting it because the p/u information was missing but I was in a groove and I never DREAMED it would turn out to be a nightmare scenario like it turned out. In the back of my mind I knew the p/u information SHOULD have been there. You know how sometimes somebody somebody lies to you and you know what's true, but you have that moment of doubt? Like when your are gaslighted?
    It was kind of like that in the moment.

20. henrygates

henrygates

Driving:
    UberXL
    I think somebody needs a hug.