Lyft....guys ????

golfinganddriving

I am in Buffalo city today, on Main street, and get Lyft ping to go 10 miles....yes 10 miles - to pick up Juan at Checkers restaurant.
Really?
Cancelled and took the hit to my acceptance rate.

Garbage Plate

When is Lyft (or Uber) going to wake up and start paying us drivers more money to go long distances? Charge the rider, just like you do surge. It's not complicated. For a short time Uber tried an experiment in Minneapolis where they were guaranteeing a minimum $8 or $10 payment to the driver for long pickups. Make that happen. Lyft, Uber and drivers will all make more money. Riders will get more rides they're currently not getting.

Reactions: MHR

Merc7186

I had the same Lyft rider order, wait a couple.of minutes then cancel on me last night. I was thinking of hanging around where he was so if he ordered again, I would start ride, drive it out and charge him for it.....but then I got a ping on Uber and couldn't do it. :frown:

Lyft also sent me a request that was 22 minutes away in downtown Niagara Falls as well....I have no issue anymore letting those long pings go and not worry about my acceptance rating....irs not like they are sending us any Quests anymore and isn't that when that really counts anyways.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170917-111023.png
    Screenshot_20170917-111023.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 39

ShinyAndChrome

I wonder if Lyft is trying to commit suicide in Rochester. I was out for five hours this morning and did several Ubers. Here was my first Lyft request. 15 miles away.

Lyftping.png

I just shook my head and let it go. Since Lyft app sucks, unlike with Uber you can't even say "no thanks", so instead you just let it go. 10 seconds after it timed out I got the same request again. Does this count as two ignores? Who cares, really. Shortly thereafter I got another request for 14 minutes away which I also ignored. My acceptance level with Lyft is currently 67%. 5 star rating.

I did several ubers this morning because they were all close by (because more people drive for uber, so you tend not to have long distance requests). Of the two lyfts I did one was 6 min, which is fine. Another was 10 and I only went that far out of my way because I am still getting the $4 Lyft promotion per ride for another week. I was about to go home (normally 10 min is okay for me).

Today I get a txt from lyft saying I should accept more requests and then this email:

It looks like you've been missing a few ride requests lately. As a friendly reminder, accepting those requests helps the Lyft community run smoothly. It's frustrating for passengers to have to wait longer for a driver to pick them up, especially when they've turned to Lyft for a safe, reliable ride.

If you need a break, just log out of driver mode instead of watching the request's timer count down to zero.

Thanks,
The Lyft Team

This is entirely a problem of Lyft's own making. I will never, ever accept a ping request that far away unless I know there is a meaningful minimum fare. So guess how Melody ended up getting to work today, since nobody from Lyft would drive her? Uber. She was left with a negative experience and, unless some newb drove more than 26 min to pick her up, she was forced to go to Uber. That is Lyft's fault.

Remember, everybody, acceptance rating means nothing. Never take a ping unless you think it is worth it. If you don't like where it is, or their rating, or whatever, don't worry about it. All the drivers with lots of miles in the other forums are just ignoring acceptance rate. If uber/lyft want to get serious about having drivers pick up "all" requests, they can entice with a meaningful fare. What sort of a sucker would I be to drive 26 min for a 1.5 mile fare and then I'm left in a part of town that rarely generates requests?

Can anybody explain why a pax in the middle of nowhere should pay the same rate as somebody who lives in the city and uber is never more than 5 min away? Lyft and Uber both suffer hugely from this issue around here, but Lyft more so due to the comparative lack of drivers. Lyft is going to gain a reputation for anybody outside the close density of Rochester as "Lyft = never available" because nobody with a clue is going to entertain these ridiculous pings unless they in turn charge the rider more. That makes them less competitive with uber, which will hurt, so the only way to fix this is for them to eat the difference until they gain a larger network. Because I am not eating it for them.

Last edited:

Garbage Plate

I wonder if Lyft is trying to commit suicide in Rochester. I was out for five hours this morning and did several Ubers. Here was my first Lyft request. 15 miles away.

View attachment 158988

I just shook my head and let it go. Since Lyft app sucks, unlike with Uber you can't even say "no thanks", so instead you just let it go. 10 seconds after it timed out I got the same request again. Does this count as two ignores? Who cares, really. Shortly thereafter I got another request for 14 minutes away which I also ignored. My acceptance level with Lyft is currently 67%. I have 26 lifetime rides with a rating of 5 stars.

I did several ubers this morning because they were all close by (because more people drive for uber, so you tend not to have long distance requests). Of the two lyfts I did one was 6 min, which is fine. Another was 10 and I only went that far out of my way because I am still getting the $4 Lyft promotion per ride for another week. I was about to go home (normally 10 min is okay for me).

Today I get a txt from lyft saying I should accept more requests and then this email:

This is entirely a problem of Lyft's own making. I will never, ever accept a ping request that far away unless I know there is a meaningful minimum fare. So guess how Melody ended up getting to work today, since nobody from Lyft would drive her? Uber. She was left with a negative experience and, unless some newb drove more than 26 min to pick her up, she was forced to go to Uber. That is Lyft's fault.

Remember, everybody, acceptance rating means nothing. Never take a ping unless you think it is worth it. If you don't like where it is, or their rating, or whatever, don't worry about it. All the drivers with lots of miles in the other forums are just ignoring acceptance rate. If uber/lyft want to get serious about having drivers pick up "all" requests, they can make entice with a meaningful fare. What sort of a sucker would I bet to drive 26 min for a 1.5 mile fare and then I'm left in a part of town that rarely generates requests?

Can anybody explain why a pax in the middle of nowhere should pay the same rate as somebody who lives in the city and uber is never more than 5 min away? Lyft and Uber both suffer hugely from this issue around here, but Lyft more so due to the comparative lack of drivers. Lyft is going to gain a reputation for anybody outside the close density of Rochester as "Lyft = never available" because nobody with a clue is going to entertain these ridiculous pings unless they in turn charge the rider more. That makes them less competitive with uber, which will hurt, so the only way to fix this is for them to eat the difference until they gain a larger network. Because I am not eating it for them.

Great post. Every driver needs to keep complaining to these companies until something is done about these crazy long distance pings. I would like to help people like Melody get a ride but just can't do it. Any business needs to make a profit to stay in business. We're not a charity. Is Melody looking for a long ride that could be profitable? Who knows. Can't drive 26 minutes to find out. I'm not going to accept, call her, pretend I am interested, then cancel when she tells me she's going 2 miles like some drivers suggest. For Lyft this is actually an opportunity to gain traction on Uber. If they were smart about this they would start charging customers more for long distance pickups. Soon people like Melody would stop using Uber knowing she would have a much better chance of getting picked up by a better compensated Lyft driver.

Lurking

Lyft would love to reduce the "crazy" distance pings. That would mean there are magically more Lyft drivers and passengers in an area. I don't expect Lyft to do any more than they have been doing, recruit, recruit, recruit. There have been many other suggestions, which have all been ignored. Currently, only, the very new or the very desperate accept such pings. There are no driver penalties for low acceptance rates, except annoying messages.

Merc7186

15 Minutes is my limit and thats only if it's been slow when I'm out or XL pickup.

Acceptance Rating does matter though...when there is a Quest going. Only during a Quest does it matter but since we haven't seen one since mid July, it means jack shit.

FYI...other well established cities get Quests, so don't think they are dead.

UPDATE: So I am driving to Newark NJ this morning for some contract work, driving down 90 and just passing the 490 Exit and got a ping in Mendon, 22 minutes away....LOL. The timing was just funny because I just complained about this 25 minutes ago.

Where the hell are all your Rochester guys to jump on that grenade....lol.

Merc7186

So I arrived at my first stop in Ogdensburg NJ but the place doesn't open up until 9AM...so I turned on Lyft just to see if I can pick up a quick fare or two while I wait...almosy instantly I get a ping....26 minutes away.

Moral of the story....Lyft sucks everywhere, not just where we live.

Sad Feelz...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170918-081712.png
    Screenshot_20170918-081712.png
    35 KB · Views: 30

ShinyAndChrome

Where the hell are all your Rochester guys to jump on that grenade....lol.
Oh, sorry, we're at the airport.

Yesterday morning at around 5:30 am I saw one car in the Rochester airport queue. I kept an eye on it over the next two hours and still just 1 car the entire time. Given the arriving schedule I almost wish I had driven by to check on the queue every once in a while because I suspect it was the same guy lol!

Merc7186

Yesterday morning at around 5:30 am I saw one car in the Rochester airport queue. I kept an eye on it over the next two hours and still just 1 car the entire time. Given the arriving schedule I almost wish I had driven by to check on the queue every once in a while because I suspect it was the same guy lol!

There was one car in the queue when I drive past at 3am....that guy must really have wanted the first fare of the day.

ShinyAndChrome

So I arrived at my first stop in Ogdensburg NJ but the place doesn't open up until 9AM...so I turned on Lyft just to see if I can pick up a quick fare or two while I wait...almosy instantly I get a ping....26 minutes away.

Moral of the story....Lyft sucks everywhere, not just where we live.

Sad Feelz...
Lyft won't need to bother recruiting drivers if they just keep turning passengers to uber. All these long pings passengers will quickly learn that lyft is a waste of time because they can never get anybody. This week when my $4/ride incentive dies off I'll go back to preferring lyft only very slightly due to its lower cut of the fare. But without that $4 bonus per ride my acceptance rate is likely to go down even further.

Like you I will drive a bit further for xl/plus.

Lurking

....Lyft sucks everywhere, not just where we live...
While it's true that Lyft has not (and may never) catch on to the same degree that Uber has in most of New York State (CT and MA too), Lyft is more competitive elsewhere including: NYC and a lot of NJ. Still recommend Lyft as a supplement for when Uber is slow.

Last edited:

LittlePuttPutt

I've seen the Uber airport queue in Roch say 1 in queue when my eyeballs could see the lot was empty. The airport queue is messed up sometimes. I've pulled into the lot before when it was empty (but saying 1 car), and it didn't seem to want to add me. Maybe if you are the first car and it already is telling people it has one there, it just makes you first but doesn't say so? It was weird. I left.

Lurking

I've seen the Uber airport queue in Roch say 1 in queue when my eyeballs could see the lot was empty. The airport queue is messed up sometimes. I've pulled into the lot before when it was empty (but saying 1 car), and it didn't seem to want to add me. Maybe if you are the first car and it already is telling people it has one there, it just makes you first but doesn't say so? It was weird. I left.
You could have tried going offline for 5 minutes to see if the one changed to a zero or not. I suspect that for the benefit of potential riders at the airport that the queue never goes below one. After all, there is at least one active driver within 30 minutes of the airport 98% (made-up guesstimate) of the time. :wink: Where is it stated that the queue only includes drivers on airport property? Ain't marketing grand? :biggrin:

LittlePuttPutt

You don't get added to the queue until you're in the specified lot. If the queue is empty then they go back to "whoever's closest". I've been called from nearby when the queue was empty.