Lyft gives me Anxiety...

The Texan

First of all, for all you loyal to Lyft, I mean no offense to you, Lyft, any rider, etc.

I've been doing Uber about 9 wks, Lyft about 4-5 wks.
In my market, Milwaukee metroplex, I find I dread turning on the Lyft app.
Mainly because the riders most often take me to the area of town far away from mine.
It's obviously usually lower cost housing, with sketchy neighborhoods, and crappy roads. The drivers in those areas seem to often be total A holes, and drive aggressively, no regards for rules of the road, etc.
Also- IMHO- are often doing things that you should ask, or wait for the driver. More often, they don't ask to sit up front- solo. Yes, I don't mind, but this is rideshare, I like it when they ask.
Or, I pull up and they have one or more bags. Now I'm very spry, in shape, and I stop, get out, and am already to the back of my vehicle within seconds. They've already opened the back, even before the few seconds it takes me to get back there, WITH their phone carrying on some type of conversation, etc.
They should wait another 0.7 seconds for me to open it, or ask, etc.

I now only turn on the lYft app when I'm near home, and few people use it.
So today, I'm about to go home for lunch- my Wifes homemade Chinese dumplings!
I get a ping near my end of town on lyft, sure enough, she takes me way NW to where she lives.
Luckily, she was nice, didn't smell bad, and we had some nice conversation too.
I know, I know, It's all about the money?
Not so much for me all the time. We all like our vehicles and ourselves to be treated with the smallest amount of respect too.

Do't get me wrong, I'm not above anyone, and I know that.
It's just that invariably, I get taken way out to the outskirts of town, rarely a rider back in to town, and the area is less than desirable and the roads are really crappy too.
This gives me anxiety when turning on the app.
Sorry for the rant.

I know, I know, don't turn it on! I do for the rare times the pax are more desirable with my area of town as a destination.

For some reason, I don't find the above nearly as much using the Uber app, in my market.

The end

welikecamping

Just this week I switched on Uber. I've done over 1200 Lyft rides and lately they have really been pissing me off. Stupid stuff like sending me pings from 14 or more miles away, or, the other night, while in destination mode, I picked up a ride halfway to my destination that sent me ten miles in the completely opposite direction from my destination, and into a super-sketchy part of town at 0600. So much for getting rides that 'bring me closer to my destination' Let's not talk about the frequent application errors that are mildly frustrating by themselves, but when they keep happening and all support does is point you to FAQ's that are completely irrelevant, it get's a bit tiresome.

I'm sure Uber has it's share of frustrating stuff that goes on, but for now, I'm not a lyft fan.

Please. Send me another survey asking me if I feel like lyft cares, that always makes me feel better.

BeansnRice

Just this week I switched on Uber. I've done over 1200 Lyft rides and lately they have really been pissing me off. Stupid stuff like sending me pings from 14 or more miles away, or, the other night, while in destination mode, I picked up a ride halfway to my destination that sent me ten miles in the completely opposite direction from my destination, and into a super-sketchy part of town at 0600. So much for getting rides that 'bring me closer to my destination' Let's not talk about the frequent application errors that are mildly frustrating by themselves, but when they keep happening and all support does is point you to FAQ's that are completely irrelevant, it get's a bit tiresome.

I'm sure Uber has it's share of frustrating stuff that goes on, but for now, I'm not a lyft fan.

Please. Send me another survey asking me if I feel like lyft cares, that always makes me feel better.
Uber is or used to be the same. It’s basically the same system. Lyft is more aggressive I think. Uber has chilled out a bit as it’s grown it’s driver base. Honestly there is no meaningful distinction between the two companies.
I’d just drive the app that gives the most rides when you need one.

welikecamping

Yeah, after being routed to the back gate of several large gated complexes by both apps, among other navigation errors, I have no misplaced trust about one being better than the other. I'm working on leveraging both simultaneously, with Uber being my primary source.

UberAdrian

Yeah, after being routed to the back gate of several large gated complexes by both apps, among other navigation errors, I have no misplaced trust about one being better than the other. I'm working on leveraging both simultaneously, with Uber being my primary source.
That is purely a pax screwup. Pax should set pin properly.

1974toyota

First of all, for all you loyal to Lyft, I mean no offense to you, Lyft, any rider, etc.

Mainly because the riders most often take me to the area of town far away from mine.
It's obviously usually lower cost housing, with sketchy neighborhoods, and crappy roads. The drivers in those areas seem to often be total A holes, and drive aggressively, no regards for rules of the road, etc.
Also- IMHO- are often doing things that you should ask, or wait for the driver. More often, they don't ask to sit up front- solo. Yes, I don't mind, but this is rideshare, I like it when they ask.
Or, I pull up and they have one or more bags. Now I'm very spry, in shape, and I stop, get out, and am already to the back of my vehicle within seconds. They've already opened the back, even before the few seconds it takes me to get back there, WITH their phone carrying on some type of conversation, etc.

I get a ping near my end of town on lyft, sure enough, she takes me way NW to where she lives.
Not so much for me all the time. We all like our vehicles and ourselves to be treated with the smallest amount of respect too.

It's just that invariably, I get taken way out to the outskirts of town, rarely a rider back in to town, and the area is less than desirable and the roads are really crappy too.
Sorry for the rant.

I know, I know, don't turn it on! I do for the rare times the pax are more desirable with my area of town as a destination.

For some reason, I don't find the above nearly as much using the Uber app, in my market.

The end
is LYFTs stock price causing you that anxiety? asking for a friend

Over/Uber

In the event you’re in an auto accident for which you have financial responsibility or liability, while on app, keep your fingers crossed that it’s an Uber ride.

Uber deductible = $1000
Lyft deductible = $2500

That right there gave me the most anxiety about U v. L.

UberAdrian

My personal policy has a $300 deductible. Can I make them pay for it even though I was on a ride?

TXqwi3812

Sorry for the rant.

The end

My advice to you is just take Lyft pings that are within 2 miles or less than 5 minutes away. After you hit arrive you can see where the destination is. If you don't like the destination then cancel the ride. Also shuffle more with Lyft It pays $5.

Last edited:

Invisible

Thanks for this description of Lyft going to more bad areas than Uber because I’ve heard other drivers say the same thing. I’m sick of delivering food and was only going to do some r/s with just Lyft, not Uber. Now you make me think to also try Uber.

I’m in Killwaukee. My incorrect spelling of the city is on purpose because some areas are really bad with murders, robberies, car jackings, etc.

But even with Uber, there are hazards in the city, other drivers. Look at the fatal car crash weeks ago where an Uber pax was killed after a thug, who didn’t have a license, crashed the stolen vehicle he was driving into the Uber guy on the south side.

You’re spot on with how the roads are really bad. Doesn’t matter if you’re in Greendale, Hales Corners, Wauwatosa, downtown, Shorewood, etc, the roads suck. There are limited months without road construction. We have two seasons here, winter and construction.

I can tell you’re a native Texan by calling Mke the metroplex, besides your username of course. I remember that term when I visited TX.

I’m not sure the area you start in, but maybe try New Berlin, Brookfield or some parts of Waukesha for pickups because then you have a better chance of staying in safer areas since those are affluent areas. Stay safe out there.

Last edited: