Uber Drivers Forum banner

Lyft essentially not letting new drivers join Florida market.

6K views 76 replies 43 participants last post by  June132017 
#1 ·
Wow, my heart skipped several beats when I read 2017 and newer vehicles ONLY. 2016 won't cut it if you want to join. Thank goodness if you have a 2016 they will still let you drive if you are in good standing with the company. I guess you can say grandfathered in, or whatever. WOW, just wow.

#8 ·

Applicant Requirement Checklist
Document Requirements
  • Driver's license
  • Vehicle registration
  • Vehicle insurance
  • Driver photo
Vehicle Requirements
  • 2017 or newer:
    • New driver applicants
    • Existing drivers who wish to change their primary vehicle, or add a secondary vehicle, to their profile
    • Drivers who have an existing, approved vehicle on the platform prior to July 15, 2019 will not be impacted by this requirement
  • 4 doors
  • 5-8 seats, including the driver's

#11 ·
Lol, who's going to invest $10-$15,000+ in a 2017- vehicle so they can earn 50 cents per mile or whatever Florida rates are now.
One of the reasons that Fubar is having problems finding drivers for its Uber WAV level is that no one is willing to pay almost forty thousand dollars (2019 prices) to equip a vehicle for Access so that he can collect 1979 cab rates to pay off the note. Instead, it must address the demand for Accessibles through the Uber Taxi platform, here. Uber did get sued by a notorious do-gooder organisation here over that.

Gryft's thinking here seems to be similarly wrong-headed.

would this have anything to do with the leasing program they offer where the ant gets to lease the car and then work for lower rates than those who own their own cars?
You would not be the first to suspect this. You are not going to be the last.

#24 ·
Doing some thinking about this. First, if you think about it, how many FULL TIME drivers would be eligible to purchase a 2017 car or higher based on their income which you need to purchase a car if not paying cash straight up? Not many if any. This is a way to get rid of full time drivers. THIS may be the start of getting rid of full timers as they see what is going on in California with the bill that just passed. The second thing to consider is that since most cannot get a car based on their current income, they would be forced to lease it through the Lyft Express program. Those driving under this scheme make less per mile and for their time thus making Lyft more money. By having most of their drivers eventually driving under the lease program they can then really control the rides/times/etc. In other words those drivers will be employees by any sense of the word but they will be curtailed from working enough hours to classify them as full time (if the bill that has passed in California makes its way across the US in terms of its impact). The other thing to consider is that if one can afford a 2017 model or higher they a.) probably don't need to drive for the rideshares and only do it for recreation/pleasure (I cannot relate but to each their own) and b.) they will not be logged on full time as they either don't need to drive or they have full-time jobs which is how they were able to finance their 2017 cars in the first place.

#30 ·
All the new drivers, pre 2017 cars will drive with Uber, post 2017 will do both apps..
Uber will get saturated with extra drivers and if Florida goes forced min wage, Uber will be forced to pay extra drivers ( maybe testing this for California market )?
rentals - they know how to get drivers for rental ... very easy for them.

#40 ·
only a complete idiot would do ride"share "in a 2017 lol a 20+K car at less than $2 a mile hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha

my xl only is worth 3K & is a pis with 230K and i have to screen half of the xl requests lol & you in a 2017

hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha

theyre really not going to throw uber lyft in prison they actually trying to go lower hahaha hahaha hahaha

these apps are 100% organized crime
hahaha hahaha hahaha 100% corruption the us government, labor department, fbi has legalized human trafficking & slavery, the 13th amendment hasbenn abolished just build an app and call it "sharing" & you get carte blanche to human traffic over 15+ million times per day
amerikkka ef yeah

here buy my 2017 model with 150,000+ miles on it im sure its 10k under blue book by then hahahaha hahahaha

#48 ·
What's in it for Lyft:

New recruits are in 2017 or newer cars, no more 2002 beat up Hyundai's. Newer cars are far more attractive to customers than 15 year old cars.
It throttles the amount of drivers, good news for current drivers.
If driver numbers drop below Lyft's threshold, they open the throttle. Simple.
Here's what this statement misses:

Lyft killed Primetime in an effort to win riders from Uber. Result? Riders comparing at events or otherwise busy times were thrilled!! Hooray!! Lyft is MUCH cheaper!!! Problem? They couldn't get a ride because all the drivers are taking higher-paying Uber rides.

Now Lyft has changed car requirements - no more than two year old vehicles. Riders are all: Hooray!! Nicer cars!! Problem? They won't be able to get a ride because Lyft drivers make less than minimum wage and can't afford new cars. The drivers can however afford the 15 year old POS Uber allows, so the drivers are now working Uber only - once again Lyft riders are shown what a completely unreliable service Lyft is.

#49 ·
Ok. The question is why? Why now? Why would Lyft care? Basically, what's in it for Lyft?

Uber and Lyft have used driver saturation as a business model for years - how else to combat the extreme driver turnover rates? Now all of a sudden over-saturation is a problem for Lyft? Again - why? I don't buy it, and am wondering what this is really about because it makes no sense to me.
Why? Most full-time Lyft drivers couldn't get financed, based on Lyft income, to get a 2017 car or higher thus getting rid of the full-timers. At some point in the future, full time drivers may become required as we as seeing is happening in California. Second, if you lease the cars through their program they are paying drivers lower rates. Again, if you use your own car you are paid "higher" rates but if you lease you are paid even lower rates. So, eventually they will have all of these drivers who are leasing through their program 2017 cars and higher all the while they will be paying out less. Simultaneously they will be able to control, through the lease program, the amount of money drivers earn and the number of pings they get. It is all about control. If it looks like they will go over "part-time" status they can throttle all rides. Control and greed is what is in it for Lyft. As for drivers, it is further exploitation as I will make the assumption here that those who cannot afford to buy their own cars are also not in a position to be leasing one and being exploited while doing it. The drivers lose either way but this Lyft model is just taking exploitation up a notch. Also, if you have a 2017 or higher of your own, you will get less pings as they have to send the pings to the lower paid drivers who are leasing the cars. If you have a 2017 or higher car of your own you are probably working a full-time job thus keeping you as a part-time driver time wise. They need to make sure their workforce, and yes drivers are employees, stay part-time so that they don't have to end up paying benefits, back pay, overtime, minimum wage, etc..

#51 ·
In Florida there's 2 types of people,

People who can afford a car under 3 years old,
And people who are willing to be ride-share drivers.

There's not much overlap.

This will decimate the part timers, gut the full timers (within 6 months to a year) and destroy lyfts driver base within a year.

Let's assume 95% turnover in 12 months...

there goes their current drivers,

Let's remove the vast majority of part timers, (as you need an extremely new car)

And what we have left is those willing to do lyfts rental program.

Lyft drivers who can only take lyft pings...

Me thinks they cut that pie too many times and they just haven't realized it yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.