• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Lyft driver kidnapped at gunpoint, ordered to drive to multiple N.J. locations before being robbed

UberSimpson

Buck Man

According to NJ.COM
The bizarre incident unfolded at about 3:30 p.m. when three young men “who might be juveniles" ordered a Lyft and were picked up on the 700 block of South 18th Street, Newark police said. The trio then showed a gun and ordered the 38-year-old driver to the Capital One Bank on the 400 block of Springfield Avenue.

https://www.nj.com/essex/2019/04/lyft-driver-kidnapped-at-gunpoint-ordered-to-drive-to-multiple-nj-locations-before-being-robbed.html
Hhappened to me on East Orange border. Made drug drops. Never again anywhere near the hood. It was mid afternoon. 4 guys.

Clarity

If this is true this is pretty disturbing especially since this happened during the daytime. There is a big risk one takes when taking on ridesharing. I wonder what would have happened if the driver had a dashcam with dashcam decals? When I got my dashcam I wouldn't rideshare again until it was installed.

Hhappened to me on East Orange border. Made drug drops. Never again anywhere near the hood. It was mid afternoon. 4 guys.
I'm sorry this happened to you and I'm glad you're okay.
I started making a mental note to keep my doors locked before pax gets in.
If I see 4+ guys heading to my car especially if they have that "hood" look, sometimes I just drive away and cancel the ride.

Buck Man

If this is true this is pretty disturbing especially since this happened during the daytime. There is a big risk one takes when taking on ridesharing. I wonder what would have happened if the driver had a dashcam with dashcam decals? When I got my dashcam I wouldn't rideshare again until it was installed.

I'm sorry this happened to you and I'm glad you're okay.
I started making a mental note to keep my doors locked before pax gets in.
If I see 4+ guys heading to my car especially if they have that "hood" look, sometimes I just drive away and cancel the ride.
You are correct . They were in my car too quick. On me. I was going to pull into a firehouse. It was tense. Live and learn

Clarity

Newark. nuff said.
I read it so fast I didn’t see it said Newark. Yeah I try to get out of that area as quickly as possible after a drop off. A lot of pax from Newark like to go through their social media on their phone with maxed volume too 😒

ibeam23

I dont pick up in Nwk.. Yet people with call you racist when you say that
I don’t do ghetto pickups. It’s not racist, it’s business. These folks are the ones who will 1-star you because your skin color isn’t the same as theirs and are also the types to make up a story to get their ride comp’d. And I’ve never gotten a profitable ride from the ‘hood. 99% of those rides are under 2 miles and 99% of the pings are pool/shared.

ToughTommy

Doors locked and if you are in the hood and are picking up juvees that’s 2 strikes. Sorry it happened. Hope they get caught and @@@@@ slapped and worse in Rahway.
We’re too nice to criminals here.

Zaarc

Exactly.... that's why you don't drive areas like Trenton, Camden, Burlington City, Newark and many other north Jersey cities....
Post automatically merged:

I have not found Trenton to be so bad, personally. That is my home turf. Riders there often look sketchy but turn out to be ok. Of course it is wise to be careful. I also get down to Burlington a lot. I'm surprised that is on your list.

Who cares what "people" think/say lol
Post automatically merged:

Trenton isn't so bad. That is my home turf. Some riders there may appear sketchy but turn out to be ok. Of course it is wise to be careful. I get down to Burlington a lot too. I'm surprised that is on your list.

Millio007

Did the ride have an "alias" like Gdup 1 letter names+ 5 stars I never pickup those calls. Not to sure if lyft has Giftcards(they can setup ghost accounts) but hopefully they will likely track these suspects down with cameras at those locations they visited.

freeFromUber

According to NJ.COM
The bizarre incident unfolded at about 3:30 p.m. when three young men “who might be juveniles" ordered a Lyft and were picked up on the 700 block of South 18th Street, Newark police said. The trio then showed a gun and ordered the 38-year-old driver to the Capital One Bank on the 400 block of Springfield Avenue.

https://www.nj.com/essex/2019/04/lyft-driver-kidnapped-at-gunpoint-ordered-to-drive-to-multiple-nj-locations-before-being-robbed.html
Let this be a lesson to all the drivers who think they know the “bad” areas of the hood, and/or what areas to stay away from. There are NO SAFE AREAS in the hood...that’s what makes it the hood.