1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Lyft driver deactivated for threatening to defend herself with taser

Discussion in 'News' started by Mista T, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Mista T

Mista T Well-Known Member

A Portland woman said she was banned from working as a Lyft driver because she defended herself from a threatening passenger. Now, she's hoping her story will persuade the ride share company to evaluate their non-lethal weapons policy.

The part-time Uber and Lyft driver, who asked to remain anonymous, says it was her last ride of the night. She was driving past Jantzen Beach when one of her two passengers in the backseat vomited in her car. That part, she says, is not A-typical.

"I've had, you know, some weird experiences but it's never been... I never felt like I was in danger," she said.

According to the woman, the other passenger started complaining about paying a damage fee for his friend and things quickly escalated.

"After several minutes of me adamantly saying, 'You need to exit my vehicle. Get out of my car! Get out of my car!' He refused and he kept trying to intimidate me. He was hovering above me in the passenger seat. I finally said if you don't get out of my vehicle, I'm going to grab my Taser."

The woman grabbed the stun gun. She says the sound alone scared the man out.

She reported the damage to Lyft, adding that she had used a stun gun to protect herself. That's when she says she was told she violated their weapons policy and was banned as a driver.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...SB7oQFghUMBE&usg=AOvVaw3tpn2UMo_D7b4odX5_cszP

WTF Lyft, do people have to DIE before you change your policy???

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2018
    arto71, melusine3, ScoBound and 19 others like this.
  2. empresstabitha

empresstabitha Well-Known Member

3. MrMikeNC

MrMikeNC Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Knowing Lyft, dead driver gets deactivated, murderous pax gets a free ride.

Seriously, the moral of the story, sadly, is to LIE. She could have said everything that happened, including the threatening pax, just minus the taser. Get all of this to Lyft (as in the report itself and pictures) within 30 minutes and voila. If the passenger says anything about a taser its now he said / she said. "Oh he's just saying that to avoid paying the cleaning fee."

Its messed up one has to learn how to manipulate/word things in regards to rideshare, but its the nature of the beast.

arto71, melusine3, Rickshaw and 29 others like this.
  4. heynow321

heynow321 Well-Known Member

remember, lyft and boober are NOT our friends. think of them like HR departments. they will always protect themselves first and leave you out to dry. make sure if you have an incident that you look like the victim even if you must lie. that's the beautiful world these monsters have created for us.

5. Undermensch

Undermensch Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Disgusting? What? No way!

I'm sure the Lyft response was along the lines of "Hey, we see you're thinking about using a taser, but... not so fast bro!"

6. Mista T

Growing up: "Don't talk to strangers. Don't take rides with strangers. Protect yourself, don't let people push you around. Ladies, carry mace or pepper spray wherever you go. Be aware, on your guard, at all times."

As a grown up Lyft driver: "Give rides to any and all strangers who pay thru our app. Be compassionate, even the super drunk need a ride home. No weapons, of any kind, ever, no exceptions. The customer is always right, and you will be let go if they complain about you in any serious way. Your time and money mean nothing to us, we have 10 people a day applying to replace you."

7. Chris1973

Chris1973 Well-Known Member

"The woman grabbed the stun gun. She says the sound alone scared the man out."

The sound is truly terrifying from a few feet away. Anyone who doesn't budge after hearing the lighting is probably insane. That's when you need a TASER. She had a stun gun, big difference. Pepper spray would only blind and incapacitate the driver as well. Really it's a don't ask don't tell policy.

8. UberLaLa

UberLaLa Well-Known Member

Lyft sucks for their policy on this, but driver could have handled it much better. DO NOT threaten passenger of cleaning fees. Simply take the pictures and turn in the claim to Uber/Lyft. If passenger asks, Are you going to report us? Or whatever B.S. - simply say, We all good. Then report it ASAP once you are free and clear from passenger you will NEVER see again.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  9. Mista T

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...KTAD&usg=AOvVaw1pPHa_UA7uHOd6Cj0tgOvm&ampcf=1

Robbery attempt with a loaded gun. Fortunately, driver able to redirect the gun back on assailant. How many drivers have that kind of skill, or luck, when facing the barrel of a gun?

I will carry whatever weapon I want to make me feel safe. They can deactivate me all day long, and I will talk to every news outlet in the country if that happens. At least Uber lets u carry non-lethal stuff.

I wonder if the $2,500 deductible covers bullet holes....

10. Immoralized

Immoralized Well-Known Member

The guy didn't lay his hand on her or even assaulted her in any way whatsoever. It seem like another incident of pulling out a gun because I was scared situation. She grossly underestimated the riders. Shut up don't make a scene continue driving and drop them off at the requested location. She was probably running her mouth off about the cleaning fee and getting into an argument with the rider to such an extent it turn into a screaming match in which case she stopped the car and was attempting to kick the riders out of the car.

The story is always awesome when it told by the driver. People probably going to start going on about victim blaming BS but looking at this subjectively I can see it from an unbiased point of view. What would you do if you were the rider and ur trying to get home ur friend had too much too much to drink okay he vomited. Nothing you can do now you got the driver mouthing off at you that your now in deep $h!t with cleaning fee :rolleyes:

Ur intoxicated it late in the night ur tired and trying to get home and you are a bit edgy so you mouth off a bit too before you know it she pulling over the car screaming at you to get out :eek: or she going to taser ur a$$. People do have to look at it from driver and rider side... Not just driver it easy cause we are drivers... It not always us against them even I do despise them cheap riders... If the guy was serious and going to attack her that little toy would of done absolutely nothing after he knocked it out of her hand especially been close range in confine spaces he might of got stun for a second or two before he grab her hand and arms. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  11. dirtylee

dirtylee Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You know, for how small a market share lyft has, there is a surprising amount of incidents involving driver/pax assualt & murders.

Is driving/riding uber safer than lyft?

melusine3, wb6vpm, jgiun1 and 2 others like this.
  12. Immoralized

probably don't want to get in the car with a female lyft driver :eek: she might either shoot you or stun you with a taser if she feel threaten.

Bodie Bunk and jgiun1 like this.
  13. dirtylee

dirtylee Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Tip cash as soon as you get in. Easier to get legitimate consent when everyone is in a good mood. :p
    Don't forget the rules.
    1. Be attractive
    2. Don't be unattractive

14. Woohaa

Woohaa Well-Known Member

Yep.

jgiun1, bmedle and Uber's Guber like this.
  15. UberLaLa

Probably a really good thing this driver did not have a weapon (non-lethal or otherwise)~

And, I'll just leave this here~

16. Immoralized

That was her :eek: how you find video of her on youtube so fast! This is exactly what happen when the guy vomited :eek:

I got no idea why people don't just drive the people to the destination and avoid all this drama :( Why do drivers have to fight or even talk with riders... Just drive. Second one was clearly fake hahah can i have some :p

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  17. UberLaLa

Because some drivers read on here or other driver boards, that they shouldn't take any crap from passengers and just kick-they-azzes-out! Well fine, but there is a way to do that without getting into a fight...lol.

18. Immoralized

It easy to get into a screaming contest but... Like most trips are 10 minutes o_O
    Weigh the option do i get into a screaming contest and try to kick their a$$ out in the middle of the night with my gun/taser that i'm not even supposed to have which is supposed to be used as last resort or do I just not get myself into situations like that and just be a dumb driver and take them to their happy place :cool:

Fastest way to get someone out of the car is to drive fast and drop them off at the location or spend the next ten hours in a screaming contest in the car and getting deactivated :rolleyes: I know which option i pick...

Ziggy and Elmo Burrito like this.
  19. UberLaLa

Almost 6k trips and only had to ask one person to exit my car. And that went rather smoothly...

Ziggy and Immoralized like this.
  20. Immoralized

Something like this....

Poor riders never stood a chance :(