Lyft Driver Attacked by Passenger's Dog

BeansnRice

Last week I pulled up to a curb in San Francisco to pick up a passenger like any other in the 6,000 Lyft rides I've done over the last three years. I verified the passengers name before unlocking the door, and suddenly a large dog (unseen previously) on leash preceded the passenger into the car. The large chocolate lab or pit bull mix jumped immediately on to the leather seats in the back before I could say NOOOOOOO. At that point I told the pax to keep the dog on the floor, which he attempted to do during our less than six minute ride into the Tenderloin in SF.

I drove there as fast as I dared, and turned to wave them goodbye as I always do (and good riddance in this case). At this point the dog lunged at my waving arm, sunk his teeth into the back of my hand and ran his nails through my shirt sleeve, creating a significant wound on my forearm that is now infected. PIctures are attached. There are scratches on the leather seats in back as well.

View attachment 323928

Sorry to hear about this misfortune .

Re printed estimate : your insurance adjuster will be able to provide this to you.

Re dog bite : it looks like you’ve found a way to get surge pricing after all. If this ride was in SF you are at an advantage.

Also Lyft mandated that you accept ALL dogs , or be deactivated.

It sounds like this could be the best surge/primetime ride ever!

Good luck n take care !

View attachment 323929

View attachment 323930

Lyft has thus far been incredibly useless addressing this attack. They invited me to submit a claim for my damaged seats only, and then immediately rejected the estimate from the local auto upholstery place in Walnut Creek which has been in business for 50 years. They want me to go to a different place that actually computer-generates every word and number in their estimates. Nobody does this in our area, so I'm stuck with no compensation at all for the damage to my car or my person.

I'm appealing to this forum for any advice on how to handle this attack.

Reporters may contact me via private message. Leave your organization's name and a business contact number.

RabbleRouser

R u an attorney? Oh, you're not!
Thanks for the advice SMH
...attorneys take contingency cases on TV
Real World ?: all others require $5k retainer.
The signed driver agreement clearly states the driver can not sue “Lyft’s clients”.
Reading is fundamental.

?If u get the $5k retainer maybe U can sue the dog ? for Milk Bones
Bwahahahaha!!!

Last edited:
...attorneys take contingency cases on TV
Real World ?: all others require $5k retainer.
The signed driver agreement clearly states the driver can not sue “Lyft’s clients”.
Reading is fundamental.

?If u get the $5k retainer maybe U can sue the dog ? for Milk Bones
Bwahahahaha!!!
If you've never seen a lawyer void a contract before, then you must be pretty new to this game. There are many ways that both Lyft and Uber do not follow their contract that nullifies it.

AngelAdams

If you have the customers contact, you can seek direct compensation. If not you should file a police report. Either get a lawyer or submit you report to lyfts safety team. If you haven’t spoken to a real person, the odds are you’ve been dealing with a bot.
You can even reach out to them on Facebook.
One unfortunate outcome though is the dog might be put to sleep.

beezlewaxin

Maybe SF is different but most likely the dog will be quarantined until 10 days from when the bite occurred. If it is its first bite it is probably now considered a dangerous animal and a second reported bite may result in more than a quarantine for the dog and possible criminal charges for the owner. The owner wont want to take that chance and will be scared to bring their dog with them in the future.

You need a police report. You need photo documentation of your wounds that meet the criteria for evidence.

Last edited:

RabbleRouser

If you've never seen a lawyer void a contract before, then you must be pretty new to this game. There are many ways that both Lyft and Uber do not follow their contract that nullifies it.
Dude, the $$$$ aren’t there for the lawyer.
I seriously doubt this “victim” will get past the lawyer’s gate keeper.

No lawyer will bother with this UNLESS the victim gives lawyer a $5k retainer

Real World dude, not your TV world

Anyway, Drivers are known for laziness, that’s why they like sitting in a car all day.??? I BET U THIS victim has does nothing to date to advance his “case” ?

OTHER THAN, sit in his car accepting pings.
???GUARANTEED ???

Dude, the $$$$ aren’t there for the lawyer.
I seriously doubt this “victim” will get past the lawyer’s gate keeper.

No lawyer will bother with this UNLESS the victim gives lawyer a $5k retainer

Real World dude, not your TV world
Have you ever been involved in a lawsuit? My guess is no.

RabbleRouser

Have you ever been involved in a lawsuit? My guess is no.
You’re a child ? the adults are conversing
Go watch reruns of LA Law

Like I said: Drivers are known for laziness, that’s why they like sitting in a car all day.??? I BET U THIS victim has does nothing to date to advance his “case” ?

Last edited:

nickd8775

If the passenger lied about it being a service dog, then they could be charged criminally. A real service dog would not attack. I hope the passenger is sued for six figures. After the wounds heal, the driver should make enough to never have to drive for rideshare again.
I love dogs, I transport pets long distances in my side business, but I’m in favor of the dangerous dog being put down

RideshareUSA

Last week I pulled up to a curb in San Francisco to pick up a passenger like any other in the 6,000 Lyft rides I've done over the last three years. I verified the passengers name before unlocking the door, and suddenly a large dog (unseen previously) on leash preceded the passenger into the car. The large chocolate lab or pit bull mix jumped immediately on to the leather seats in the back before I could say NOOOOOOO. At that point I told the pax to keep the dog on the floor, which he attempted to do during our less than six minute ride into the Tenderloin in SF.

I drove there as fast as I dared, and turned to wave them goodbye as I always do (and good riddance in this case). At this point the dog lunged at my waving arm, sunk his teeth into the back of my hand and ran his nails through my shirt sleeve, creating a significant wound on my forearm that is now infected. PIctures are attached. There are scratches on the leather seats in back as well.

View attachment 323928

View attachment 323929

View attachment 323930

Lyft has thus far been incredibly useless addressing this attack. They invited me to submit a claim for my damaged seats only, and then immediately rejected the estimate from the local auto upholstery place in Walnut Creek which has been in business for 50 years. They want me to go to a different place that actually computer-generates every word and number in their estimates. Nobody does this in our area, so I'm stuck with no compensation at all for the damage to my car or my person.

Reporters may contact me via private message. Leave your organization's name and a business contact number.
You may have a rock solid case simply for the fact that rabies may be an issue. Lyft will have to disclose the riders identify so he/she can prove their dog is current on their rabies vaccine. Your doctor will alert public health officials when an animal bite has occurred. Really bad PR for Lyft and bad news for the owner if not current. In other words, I believe this is an attorneys dream case.

RabbleRouser

You may have a rock solid case simply for the fact that rabies may be an issue. Lyft will have to disclose the riders identify so he/she can prove their dog is current on their rabies vaccine. Your doctor will alert public health officials when an animal bite has occurred. Really bad PR for Lyft and bad news for the owner if not current. In other words, I believe this is an attorneys dream case.
Like I said: Drivers are known for laziness, that’s why they like sitting in a car all day.??? I BET U THIS:
victim has done NOTHING to date to advance his “case” ?

Because that would take EFFORT

NOXDriver

This would fail in court. Unless Lyft is claiming to assume all liabilities resulting from 'client' actions? LOL doubt it.

Since Lyft has the only access to pass information, you'll need to go through, or somehow discover the person's ID on your own, then sue in court.

What OP SHOULD have done is dive up to a police car/station and have a report made. Police would have gotten the ID of the person and also most likely taken the dog (if your city has dangerous breed/or bite laws.. did the dog have a rabies tag? A dog license? If anything the dog would have gone to doggie jail ASAP). Then, with documented proof of the attack AND the ID of the owner, sue in court.

Lyft is not gonna ride in to rescue the 'client'

Amsoil Uber Connect

California;

Penal Code - PEN
PART 1. OF CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS [25 - 680]

( Part 1 enacted 1872. )

TITLE 9. OF CRIMES AGAINST THE PERSON INVOLVING SEXUAL ASSAULT, AND CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC DECENCY AND GOOD MORALS [261 - 368.5]
( Heading of Title 9 amended by Stats. 1982, Ch. 1111, Sec. 2. )

CHAPTER 12. Other Injuries to Persons [346 - 367g]
( Chapter 12 enacted 1872. )
(a) Any person who knowingly and fraudulently represents himself or herself, through verbal or written notice, to be the owner or trainer of any canine licensed as, to be qualified as, or identified as, a guide, signal, or service dog, as defined in subdivisions (d), (e), and (f) of Section 365.5 and paragraph (6) of subdivision (b) of Section 54.1 of the Civil Code, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment.
(b) As used in this section, “owner” means any person who owns a guide, signal, or service dog, or who is authorized by the owner to use the guide, signal, or service dog.
(Added by Stats. 1994, Ch. 1257, Sec. 12. Effective January 1, 1995.)
There is an ad here for personal injury Attorneys, Uber / Lyft . I'll post the # when it comes up.

Googled ,... uber lyft personal attorney,...

free consultation

lots come up.

Last edited:

AngelAdams

You’re a child ? the adults are conversing
Go watch reruns of LA Law

Like I said: Drivers are known for laziness, that’s why they like sitting in a car all day.??? I BET U THIS victim has does nothing to date to advance his “case” ?
What’s with the emojis? Reading your comments made me lose my last brain cell.

Gandler

View attachment 323928

View attachment 323929

View attachment 323930

1. Go to the hospital, get a medical report (hopefully you did this right away).
2. Go to the Police, file a police report.
3. Go to animal control, file a bite report.

Then with all of those reports in hand contact Lyft, prepare for a generic unhelpful reply.

Then go to attorney with all reports, and Lyfts' responses.

Also (your attorney should do this), get a court order for the information of the rider from Lyft (they will never give this voluntarily). Hopefully you remeber the address of pickup and drop off, and also print out the ride details from the ride records.

TBone

Why do you all think uber or lyft can handle a situation like this one? Call the freaking police and file a report. Then contact a lawyer to sue the dogs owner.

TheDevilisaParttimer

View attachment 323928

View attachment 323929

View attachment 323930

File a police report for being mauled. Then contact an attorney because you was attacked by a dog working for lyft.

Lyft will settle and the attorney will take a percentage of your lawsuit.

Rosalita

Typical. Lyft cares more about these dam dogs than they do transporting minors. Reported a minor illegally holding a Lyft account and the Service Goof actually said,"...be sure and not pair you with"... that customer again..." Duh! Its a minor! I would hope you wouldn't "pair" the minor with any driver, again! How many text msgs you get a month reminding you that it's the law and you must transport service animals? How many you get reminding you it's against the law to transport unaccompanied minors?
Post automatically merged:

Why do you all think uber or lyft can handle a situation like this one? Call the freaking police and file a report. Then contact a lawyer to sue the dogs owner.

There ya go. If you're waiting on Lyft, you're backing up.