Lyft Driver Attacked by Passenger's Dog

Last week I pulled up to a curb in San Francisco to pick up a passenger like any other in the 6,000 Lyft rides I've done over the last three years. I verified the passengers name before unlocking the door, and suddenly a large dog (unseen previously) on leash preceded the passenger into the car. The large chocolate lab or pit bull mix jumped immediately on to the leather seats in the back before I could say NOOOOOOO. At that point I told the pax to keep the dog on the floor, which he attempted to do during our less than six minute ride into the Tenderloin in SF.

I drove there as fast as I dared, and turned to wave them goodbye as I always do (and good riddance in this case). At this point the dog lunged at my waving arm, sunk his teeth into the back of my hand and ran his nails through my shirt sleeve, creating a significant wound on my forearm that is now infected. PIctures are attached. There are scratches on the leather seats in back as well.

20190522_133953.jpg

20190522_133737.jpg

Lyft has thus far been incredibly useless addressing this attack. They invited me to submit a claim for my damaged seats only, and then immediately rejected the estimate from the local auto upholstery place in Walnut Creek which has been in business for 50 years. They want me to go to a different place that actually computer-generates every word and number in their estimates. Nobody does this in our area, so I'm stuck with no compensation at all for the damage to my car or my person.

I'm appealing to this forum for any advice on how to handle this attack.

Reporters may contact me via private message. Leave your organization's name and a business contact number.

RideshareUSA

Last week I pulled up to a curb in San Francisco to pick up a passenger like any other in the 6,000 Lyft rides I've done over the last three years. I verified the passengers name before unlocking the door, and suddenly a large dog (unseen previously) on leash preceded the passenger into the car. The large chocolate lab or pit bull mix jumped immediately on to the leather seats in the back before I could say NOOOOOOO. At that point I told the pax to keep the dog on the floor, which he attempted to do during our less than six minute ride into the Tenderloin in SF.

I drove there as fast as I dared, and turned to wave them goodbye as I always do (and good riddance in this case). At this point the dog lunged at my waving arm, sunk his teeth into the back of my hand and ran his nails through my shirt sleeve, creating a significant wound on my forearm that is now infected. PIctures are attached. There are scratches on the leather seats in back as well.

View attachment 323928

View attachment 323929

View attachment 323930

Lyft has thus far been incredibly useless addressing this attack. They invited me to submit a claim for my damaged seats only, and then immediately rejected the estimate from the local auto upholstery place in Walnut Creek which has been in business for 50 years. They want me to go to a different place that actually computer-generates every word and number in their estimates. Nobody does this in our area, so I'm stuck with no compensation at all for the damage to my car or my person.

Reporters may contact me via private message. Leave your organization's name and a business contact number.
Go consult a personal injury attorney ASAP!
Post automatically merged:

Also, see a doctor ASAP to properly document your injuries.

nouberipo

View attachment 323928

View attachment 323929

View attachment 323930

Unfortunately as you know Lyft could care less about you and likely didn't even take the report down that you were attacked by the dog as the more reports taken the worse things look. I would have gone to the police department and filled a report. I would have also contacted media. Being you are in the Bay area where the HQ are, I am sure there are some news channels known for covering these disgusting rideshare companies. I wish I had an answer for you but knowing Lyft you are nothing to them and know you are generally powerless to do anything.

mi4johns

The attorney's in my city (Vegas) would be drooling over a lawsuit like this: First to sue the hell out of the pax if they have any assets, then the big fish Lyft.

Since Lyft mandates drivers pickup all animals, this is a workman's comp case all day long. Probably $10k easy.

NOXDriver

Lyft will probably require arbitration unless you opted out (if you even can). First would be go for pass and settle for cash. Then go for Lyft... but it will take YEARS to get anything from them. Really.

RabbleRouser

Lyft executives take driver safety very seriously ?

And are currently working diligently @ Caesar’s Palace to rectify this issue
Of a Driver biting a passenger’s service animal

Last edited:

RabbleRouser

Also, see a doctor ASAP to properly document your injuries.
Fantasy Land
Free lawyers and compassion towards the working poor
Lyft will never give out their client’s name without a court order.
Now your back to square one: finding a free lawyer.

Fact is you’re still working. Haven’t lost even one day of work.

No soup for u

RideshareUSA

Fantasy Land
Free lawyers and compassion towards the working poor
Lyft will never give out their client’s name without a court order.
Now your back to square one: finding a free lawyer.

Fact is you’re still working. Haven’t lost even one day of work.

No soup for u
R u an attorney? Oh, you're not!
Thanks for the advice SMH

No Prisoners

View attachment 323928

View attachment 323929

View attachment 323930

Any lawyer would jump at your case against lyft and rider regardless of arbitration clause.
You may have 2 separate claims. Hurry!!

nonononodrivethru

Just sue the individual personally. San Francisco, so the passenger likely has money if he wasn't homeless.

Talk to your lawyer about potentially suing Lyft too. More than likely Lyft would settle.