Lyft: Don't Bother

Do you bother with Lyft?

• Total voters

DrivingMissDevon

Let me preface this with the fact that I'm a full-time restaurant manager so I make my career out of customer service. I started doing rideshare to save up for a vacation. These are my thoughts on Lyft after 2 days.

I've been driving with Uber for a few months. I had one of those Lyft "salespeople" get in my car and he sold me on signing up for Lyft with a $300 bonus for 30 rides.

It took fifteen days for my background check to go through whereas I was approved for Uber in 24 hours.

I started driving for Lyft 2 days ago to get the bonus and figured I wouldn't bother with it after that bonus as the app can't even compete with Uber's layout. Plus they use GoogleMaps which is slow AF. So it turns out you actually get a $10 bonus for each Lyft ride, you don't have to wait to complete all 30 rides to see the money. However, apparently LINE (Lyfts POOL?) rides don't count toward the bonus so out of the 6 rides I did this morning, I only got the bonus for 1 ride.

They also charge 50 cents for each cash out and it's not instant. I cashed out $50 to get some gas but it won't clear until Tuesday. I have to Uber GO card which is an awesome convenience, actually instant and I've never had a problem with it.

Here's the icing on the cake: Lyft drivers don't receive any money when the rider cancels no matter how much time has passed since the ride was accepted. I had 3 riders cancel this morning when I was 2 minutes away. I got NOTHING for them. After doing some research I found out Lyft actually cancels rides if it takes you too long to get there. I was getting gas yesterday when I accepted a ride and I was on the road within 2 mins. As I turned on the passengers street, Lyft canceled the ride.

All in all, they cannot compete with Uber. If you're trying to decide if it's worth doing both, my vote is no. Even with a $10 "per ride" (cough BS cough) bonus, it's not worth the headache.

PS LOGAN DRIVERS: They actually have an employee checking decals as you pull into the lots. I've seen 2 people towed in the last 24 hours for not having their decals displayed. Save yourself the hassle and just put them on, even if it's just for the airport.

Can't wait to see the comments on this one...

Tysmith95

Yes. You should use both apps. While I prefer Uber Lyft is a good option to have when it's slow. Also Lyft tends to have more PT then Ubers surge.

With regards to Google maps or Waze, both of those are much better then Uber Navigation. Waze tends to run faster then Google maps so you can use that if you find google maps to be slow.

DrivingMissDevon

Yes. You should use both apps. While I prefer Uber Lyft is a good option to have when it's slow. Also Lyft tends to have more PT then Ubers surge.

With regards to Google maps or Waze, both of those are much better then Uber Navigation. Waze tends to run faster then Google maps so you can use that if you find google maps to be slow.

Good to know, I will have to give Waze a shot.

What about the pax cancelation? Because now I saw that Lyft pax cancelations are added at the end of the week. Is that true?

Tysmith95

Good to know, I will have to give Waze a shot.

What about the pax cancelation? Because now I saw that Lyft pax cancelations are added at the end of the week. Is that true?
Lyft sucks at cancellations, you only get them if they cancel after more then 5 mins, even then it's often a crapshoot.

They always give 5 bucks for no shows.

Delivery Mr.Guy

I have been driven uber for 3 year, I can tell you that Lyft is better all the way , I got tips from Lyft $6 from single ride in everyday. $1 toi per ride 1 in 4,
Why Uber replace CEO And why uber offer incentives?

Liberty89

There are some huge disadvantages & advantages with both apps. I find Uber to be better. But Lyft certainly gives me plenty of rides when Uber is not. That's just my general statement.

One thing I don't like about Lyft though, is that each time you get the fare total, it's before Lyft's fee, whereas Uber immediately deducts their fee. Easier to keep track of my earnings accurately that way.

Ford123

Lyft Pros: (usually) friendlier pax, PT is a lot more prevalent than Surge, and tips are more accepted because that's the culture that pax are used to.

Lyft Cons: not as many pings as Uber (solid 80-20 split for me), they don't show you their deductions unless you do a little digging, and their customer support is horrendous. Uber's is no better, but my experience with Lyft has been then outright lying to me in regards to cancellation fees owed to me.

B_Strong

Ive an amp for front and and a decal in the back. This is a lyft rental car, is this an issue if i go to logan airport? Will they give me a hard time using the amp or they want the decal in front passengers side?

CharlesG

It's really starting to become 60/40 Uber and lyft. I've ran lyft most of this week and have done much better than I'm doing with uber. Also, I've never had an instant pay problem, it takes a few mins more but never had to wait. 50 cent fee is with both apps if you don't have their cards.

Lyft customer service sucks, but work is getting busier with them.

Prime87

It's really starting to become 60/40 Uber and lyft. I've ran lyft most of this week and have done much better than I'm doing with uber. Also, I've never had an instant pay problem, it takes a few mins more but never had to wait. 50 cent fee is with both apps if you don't have their cards.

Lyft customer service sucks, but work is getting busier with them.
Agree completely Lyft is busier for sure. Still think it's best to run both apps unless you're chasing a good incentive.

Telsa34

I drive with both apps and the advantage to lyft is it's connected directly to my checking account and I can cash out any day, and it mediately shows up in my checking account whereas in Uber you have to use the GO card and as the original member posted here he has never had an issue with the GO card and neither have I it is a good card.

But from the very beginning I have had nothing but issues with Google Maps using Lyft as compared to Uber and why is that I don't know because both Uber and Lyft use Google Maps.

I don't like waze I have issues with that on my phone because it always states that there's no GPS. And I've tried to make adjustments to the phone I've looked it up on Google and try those fixes and it doesn't work so I just don't use Waze.

I like lyft in the fact that you can look and see if there are any high-value pickups for the following morning which I have accepted and made some good money on those such as taking somebody to the airport at 5:30 in the morning for $35. Lyft also allows the passenger to put in up to two stops on their way home which I don't have a problem with, so it is good to run both apps if you make more on one over the other at least one of them will help pay for your gas that day which equates to more profit for the one that you use the most that day.

ubermaster5000

I started off driving for Uber exclusively but then added Lyft to help during the summer slow down. Some days Lyft gives me more rides than Uber. Having them together makes this rideshare thing way more profitable. Anyone that doesn't drive for both is losing out big time considering how popular Lyft has become in the Boston market.

I drive with both apps and the advantage to lyft is it's connected directly to my checking account and I can cash out any day, and it mediately shows up in my checking account whereas in Uber you have to use the GO card and as the original member posted here he has never had an issue with the GO card and neither have I it is a good card.

But from the very beginning I have had nothing but issues with Google Maps using Lyft as compared to Uber and why is that I don't know because both Uber and Lyft use Google Maps.

I don't like waze I have issues with that on my phone because it always states that there's no GPS. And I've tried to make adjustments to the phone I've looked it up on Google and try those fixes and it doesn't work so I just don't use Waze.

I like lyft in the fact that you can look and see if there are any high-value pickups for the following morning which I have accepted and made some good money on those such as taking somebody to the airport at 5:30 in the morning for $35. Lyft also allows the passenger to put in up to two stops on their way home which I don't have a problem with, so it is good to run both apps if you make more on one over the other at least one of them will help pay for your gas that day which equates to more profit for the one that you use the most that day.
What? I don't use the GO card for Uber. I deposit earnings right to my checking account just like for Lyft except all you need for Uber instant deposit is .50+ where Lyft is $5+

cdm813

I made 2x more money with Lyft tonight than I did on Uber. Pax are more savvy and have both apps, yet there are a lot of Uber drivers that don't drive for Lyft.

That being said, I'm getting tipped twice as often on Uber than I am on Lyft. The struggle!

Jaackil

Let me preface this with the fact that I'm a full-time restaurant manager so I make my career out of customer service. I started doing rideshare to save up for a vacation. These are my thoughts on Lyft after 2 days.

I've been driving with Uber for a few months. I had one of those Lyft "salespeople" get in my car and he sold me on signing up for Lyft with a $300 bonus for 30 rides.

It took fifteen days for my background check to go through whereas I was approved for Uber in 24 hours.

I started driving for Lyft 2 days ago to get the bonus and figured I wouldn't bother with it after that bonus as the app can't even compete with Uber's layout. Plus they use GoogleMaps which is slow AF. So it turns out you actually get a $10 bonus for each Lyft ride, you don't have to wait to complete all 30 rides to see the money. However, apparently LINE (Lyfts POOL?) rides don't count toward the bonus so out of the 6 rides I did this morning, I only got the bonus for 1 ride.

They also charge 50 cents for each cash out and it's not instant. I cashed out $50 to get some gas but it won't clear until Tuesday. I have to Uber GO card which is an awesome convenience, actually instant and I've never had a problem with it.

Here's the icing on the cake: Lyft drivers don't receive any money when the rider cancels no matter how much time has passed since the ride was accepted. I had 3 riders cancel this morning when I was 2 minutes away. I got NOTHING for them. After doing some research I found out Lyft actually cancels rides if it takes you too long to get there. I was getting gas yesterday when I accepted a ride and I was on the road within 2 mins. As I turned on the passengers street, Lyft canceled the ride.

All in all, they cannot compete with Uber. If you're trying to decide if it's worth doing both, my vote is no. Even with a $10 "per ride" (cough BS cough) bonus, it's not worth the headache.

PS LOGAN DRIVERS: They actually have an employee checking decals as you pull into the lots. I've seen 2 people towed in the last 24 hours for not having their decals displayed. Save yourself the hassle and just put them on, even if it's just for the airport.

Can't wait to see the comments on this one...
Towed for not having decals? Are you sure? There is a fine deducted right out of your pay but there is nothing in the regulation that says impounding of cars.

bostonwolf

My Uber connects directly to my debit card and deposits instantly into my Bank of America account

Dutchie

I started off driving for Uber exclusively but then added Lyft to help during the summer slow down. Some days Lyft gives me more rides than Uber. Having them together makes this rideshare thing way more profitable. Anyone that doesn't drive for both is losing out big time considering how popular Lyft has become in the Boston market.

What? I don't use the GO card for Uber. I deposit earnings right to my checking account just like for Lyft except all you need for Uber instant deposit is .50+ where Lyft is $5+
You can cash out any amount on Uber now

Prime87

I made 2x more money with Lyft tonight than I did on Uber. Pax are more savvy and have both apps, yet there are a lot of Uber drivers that don't drive for Lyft.

That being said, I'm getting tipped twice as often on Uber than I am on Lyft. The struggle!
I will never understand why people don't run both. Twice as often on Uber really, that's pretty interesting. Never would have thought