Lyft destination mode to get back home

BMG19

Hi. Drive out here in LA.

For long LAX rides that take me to San Diego or the OC will waiting around with destination mode in Los Angeles eventually get a ping?

Also. If one just kept LAX in destination mode all day. How many trips would they get?

DrivingForYou

Works for me often. But to answer questions:

1) can't use it all day, it expires every 15 minutes if there is no ride.
2) you won't always get a ride, and sometimes those rides are not really on your way.
3) sometimes you'll get a ride most of the way, and that's pure awesome.
4) what will happen if you are in San Diego trying to get back to LA is you will probably get a couple rides of a few miles along the way, but unlikely the whole way.
5) if you do get a ride, then that destination mode "counts" and you are limited to three destination modes that have at least one ride in them per day.
6) if you set a destination mode and don't get a ride, it does not count toward that limit.

Dropking

5) if you do get a ride, then that destination mode "counts" and you are limited to three destination modes that have at least one ride in them per day.

Actually, they just changed it back to SIX destination filters, the way it was before until recently.

Lyft's destination filter is better than nothing, but it tends to offer too many short rides of a few blocks when you are actually interested in going a long way (like home from SF, or LA from SD), and some of those short rides are not truly moving you forward. While in destination mode, I've leaned to call every passenger before I start driving to pick them up. If they are only going a couple of blocks, or especially if they are going laterally or in the wrong direction) then I explain that I need to pick my kids up at school 40 miles away and they normally agree to cancel, or I'll cancel the ride myself. This is a huge problem trying to get across the Bay Bridge before the ramps jam up with cars in the afternoon rush. I can't afford to waste 20 minutes circling around downtown SF or SOMA.

By the way, Uber's destination filters work much better than Lyft's. They will match you less often with passengers ( a good thing ), giving preference to longer rides even when another driver might be slightly closer to the passenger.

So yes, the Lyft destination filter in a crowded place like SF "works" in that it frequently offers rides, but many of those rides are not helping the driver's intentions.

Dropking

Do you mean they changed it again TODAY? It was six until a month ago, then they changed it to three for a couple of weeks, and then a week ago they changed it back to six (a response to Uber's six) which is what it was yesterday when I last used it and what the online doc says today. They seriously changed it yet again back to 3 starting today?

Yozee

Worked for me today. I had DF set to South, lyft sent me a trip that took me North, 10 blocks in opposite direction to be exact! @@@@ lyft!

Dropking

Pre-screen Lyft passengers when in destination mode. Call them, find out where they are going, and if the ride is not compatible with your own needs, explain the situation and they will cancel the ride or you can cancel it yourself. This is especially important with Lyft because their destination filter matches riders and drivers so poorly. With Uber I have a lot more confidence that the ride request will take me in the right direction.

DrivingForYou

Pre-screen Lyft passengers when in destination mode. Call them, find out where they are going, and if the ride is not compatible with your own needs, explain the situation and they will cancel the ride or you can cancel it yourself. This is especially important with Lyft because their destination filter matches riders and drivers so poorly. With Uber I have a lot more confidence that the ride request will take me in the right direction.

I did have a ride recently that took me in the opposite direction... But shortly After that drop off, had a idea that took me all the way home (sweet!).

Last week I had a ride where the pax entered the address wrong (633 instead of 6333) eventually got them to correct dest, but was way the opposite way I had wanted. The bonus though is it ended up as a $42 fare as they didn't realize their mistake till way late. LOL.