Lyft Critical Incident Report Against Me

I just got an e-mail today from Lyft that one of my riders reported me for doing an illegal u-turn. I know my driving style. I do not do illegal u-turns in Seattle. I am so very paranoid about tickets. My rantings on lyft range from 4.92 to 4.97. The e-mail doesn't include any information on day and time of the "illegal u-turn". They warned me that if I do this again I can be kicked off the platform as it is against the terms of agreement.

My ranting only dipped form 4.94 to 4.92 on Sunday (typical after doing Saturday last call). I don't know what's up. I wonder if it was some kind of retaliation again me, or someone who lied to get a free ride.

I had two difficult people last week: I do know that I picked up someone who I had to ask twice to put in the correct address after I doubled checked the address. Then he wanted me to wait for him to get his prescription filled. This was on Saturday night right before last call surge. I said no. Second was a family of 5 (including 2 kiddos under the age of 6) in the back of my Prius. I did not realize the size of the family until they all got in. I ended up cancelling on them due to lack of safety belts.

I emailed them again for additional information. How worried should I be?

I've been driving for lyft since January and have almost 1,000 rides under my belt. I never received an e-mail like this. Is there anyway I can fight it?

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
I just got an e-mail today from Lyft that one of my riders reported me for doing an illegal u-turn. I know my driving style. I do not do illegal u-turns in Seattle. I am so very paranoid about tickets. My rantings on lyft range from 4.92 to 4.97. The e-mail doesn't include any information on day and time of the "illegal u-turn". They warned me that if I do this again I can be kicked off the platform as it is against the terms of agreement.

My ranting only dipped form 4.94 to 4.92 on Sunday (typical after doing Saturday last call). I don't know what's up. I wonder if it was some kind of retaliation again me, or someone who lied to get a free ride.

I had two difficult people last week: I do know that I picked up someone who I had to ask twice to put in the correct address after I doubled checked the address. Then he wanted me to wait for him to get his prescription filled. This was on Saturday night right before last call surge. I said no. Second was a family of 5 (including 2 kiddos under the age of 6) in the back of my Prius. I did not realize the size of the family until they all got in. I ended up cancelling on them due to lack of safety belts.

I emailed them again for additional information. How worried should I be?

I've been driving for lyft since January and have almost 1,000 rides under my belt. I never received an e-mail like this. Is there anyway I can fight it?
2 words:
Dash Cam

Hammett

Sorry you have to go through that BS. Don't they have to have proof of you doing an illegal U turn? I don't think even cops can ticket you if they have no proof of the violation.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Well if they won’t tell me when then this happened I can’t send them any dash cam info.

Tell them you have dash cam footage to prove your innocent and that soon as they provide you with the date, you will send the footage proving the accusations are false, since you know that you NEVER do U-turns. Whether you do them or not, once they hear you have video footage of your Innocence, they'll back off.

tipster98122

For an issue like this don't waste your time emailing lyft support. It's best to go directly to the Hub. You will always have a much better chance of being heard and getting answers by someone in front of you rather than a canned answer coming from some call center "support" person.

Also, for the future, if you have a ride that gets weird you should send an email to support asap to state your side of the interaction. This helps you if you have an issue later. (Canceling on that family of 5 was the right thing to do. Doing it after they all got into your car made it a little weird.)

And get a dash cam if you don't have one.

mark_mark

I don't start rides until I 1/2 sec access the situation... why, cuz I know if I denied a ride for safety reason the will go ape shiit and lie about dezz nutzz

For an issue like this don't waste your time emailing lyft support. It's best to go directly to the Hub. You will always have a much better chance of being heard and getting answers by someone in front of you rather than a canned answer coming from some call center "support" person.

Also, for the future, if you have a ride that gets weird you should send an email to support asap to state your side of the interaction. This helps you if you have an issue later. (Canceling on that family of 5 was the right thing to do. Doing it after they all got into your car made it a little weird.)

And get a dash cam if you don't have one.

I did a pick up behind Pikes Place and I didn’t realize they had children on their laps until after I hit the start trip.

I find Lyft hub very difficult to visit because I’m at my other job during those hours. I guess I will need to take some time off work to handle this crap.

Surgeless in Seattle

I did a pick up behind Pikes Place and I didn’t realize they had children on their laps until after I hit the start trip.

I find Lyft hub very difficult to visit because I’m at my other job during those hours. I guess I will need to take some time off work to handle this crap.
Since it was a "warning" I'm betting they won't do anything about it. Stuff like this is so unfair! I hope I am wrong and you can get them to remove it from your driving history.

Smashup

Apart from being "illegal", do you know anything more about the U turn you are alleged to have done?

I've only been in the state three years, but my understanding is that there are almost no illegal U turns in Washington State.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.295

46.61.290 << 46.61.295 >> 46.61.300

RCW 46.61.295
"U" turns.
(1) The driver of any vehicle shall not turn such vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction unless such movement can be made in safety and without interfering with other traffic.
(2) No vehicle shall be turned so as to proceed in the opposite direction upon any curve, or upon the approach to or near the crest of a grade, where such vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of any other vehicle approaching from either direction within five hundred feet.
Basically a U turn is legal if it is safe and there are no signs saying "no u turn". If it is unsafe it is illegal.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/tran...re-U-turns-legal-at-intersections-1305465.php

Getting There: Are U-turns legal at intersections?

"Years ago in drivers' ed class, I learned that U-turns are illegal in Washington, unless explicitly posted as allowed," writes Chris Petersen.

"However, I've been seeing a lot more 'no U-turn allowed' signs these days, and a distinct lack of 'U-turn ok' signs along the Martin Luther King Jr. Way light rail tracks where U-turns are almost necessary due to the lack of left-turn options to access businesses on the other side of the road. Has the law changed, or is the lack of lack of signage along MLK just an oversight by the DOT?"

Answer:

"In 1997, the State of Washington changed a number of codes including the U-turn provisions, and in 1998, the City of Seattle changed its code to more closely reflect the updates to the Revised Code of Washington (RCW). As a result, the State of Washington now allows U-turns 'made in safety' at intersections unless they are explicitly prohibited (Seattle Municipal Code (SMC )11.55.120, RCW 46.61.295)," said Eric Widstrand, traffic engineer with the Seattle Department of Transportation.

"Both the City and State codes now permit U-turns at intersections so long as it does not interfere with other traffic. Both codes removed the restrictions on U-turns from left turn lanes so long as there was at least 500 feet of visibility in each direction. The Washington Drivers Guide includes these changes and can be downloaded in PDF format at www.dol.wa.gov

I would write to Lyft and explain the rider is mistaken, you didn't make a u turn and regardless, u turns are legal in Washington unless posted.

The Ghost of Travis

Do I detect some sarcssim?

Im sorry man, I did two shifts yesterday when I posted this and trying to be witty. I hope u iron out your situation sooon!

thanks for the uturn post!!! also, Left turn on a red light is permitted in WA... only if you are on a 1 way turning into a 1 way
only 2 states permit this

I was here for a few months before I learned this when a brogrammer told me about it.

I love it!!

Smashup

thanks for the uturn post!!! also, Left turn on a red light is permitted in WA... only if you are on a 1 way turning into a 1 way

only 2 states permit this

I hadn't know that until just now thanks, but turns out we can turn left on a red onto a 1 way street EVEN from a 2 way street.

RCW 46.61.055 (3)(a)

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.055

(3) Steady red indication
(a) ... the vehicle operators facing a steady circular red signal may, after stopping proceed to make a right turn from a one-way or two-way street into a two-way street or into a one-way street carrying traffic in the direction of the right turn; or a left turn from a one-way or two-way street into a one-way street carrying traffic in the direction of the left turn;

freddieman

I thInk it's spam warning. I had pax say I ran two red lights. I emailed support and didn't get any replies back. It seems like just the 1st round thing. If u get another then a real person will take a deeper look. That's probably when ur emails will be considered. Unfair but that's just the ways things are with rideshare companies.

As if we're risking ourselves to an accident with a $2500 Lyft deductible for a $7 fare.

mark_mark

I hadn't know that until just now thanks, but turns out we can turn left on a red onto a 1 way street EVEN from a 2 way street.

RCW 46.61.055 (3)(a)

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.055

(3) Steady red indication
(a) ... the vehicle operators facing a steady circular red signal may, after stopping proceed to make a right turn from a one-way or two-way street into a two-way street or into a one-way street carrying traffic in the direction of the right turn; or a left turn from a one-way or two-way street into a one-way street carrying traffic in the direction of the left turn;
wow! even if you are on a 2way, that ^ language is hard to understand