Lyft closer to a driverless fleet

mghtyred

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
With GM behind them, my guess is Lyft will have self driving cars on the road fairly quick. They still have some big legal hurdles to get over, but they've got the supply line ready to go. I believe they're looking at 2 years. Whodathunkit? The "good guys" of rideshare will be the first ones to tell their drivers to f*** off!

Koolride

I don't think this will happen soon, Fuber and Lyft apps can't even figure out The exact location to pick up a pax,because the GPS system is not accurate enough.The autopilot for the autonomous cars are still in beta mode ,look what happened to the Tesla driver killed while on autopilot, it is not reliable enough ,especially at night.

Last edited:

mghtyred

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea, I know. After the Tesla incident, it's going to be tough getting over those legal hurdles. Still, if anyone can do it, it's GM. They've got powerful Washington connections.

Too Many Miles

With GM behind them, my guess is Lyft will have self driving cars on the road fairly quick. They still have some big legal hurdles to get over, but they've got the supply line ready to go. I believe they're looking at 2 years. Whodathunkit? The "good guys" of rideshare will be the first ones to tell their drivers to f*** off!
It won't be so soon, they need approval from the federal goverment, and after Tesla's crash, nobody will believe that they are already safe. Most of Google's self driving cars have had some kind of collision. These cars depend on many factors included well marked streets.

Just Another Uber Drive

Having been promised flying cars by 2000, I'm rather skeptical about the projected time frame here. I'd look for greater utilization by the military and industrial sectors before I'd expect to see them carrying people around for hire.

Our GPS will send us in to a lake as it is right now. How many times a day does your GPS throw you a curve ball? How many times a day does a driver around you do something completely random and unexpected?

I'll probably end up being wrong about this but I don't see true self-driving vehicles on the streets of LA for at least a decade and honestly 20 years is what i'm thinking. Partially automated will be much sooner, but self-driving autonomous vehicles... naw.

I think we'll see experimental automated cars serving very specific, very small areas. Specific metro areas with grid-style layouts would be a logical first step. Until then I think our jobs are safe.

Too Many Miles

Having been promised flying cars by 2000, I'm rather skeptical about the projected time frame here. I'd look for greater utilization by the military and industrial sectors before I'd expect to see them carrying people around for hire.

Our GPS will send us in to a lake as it is right now. How many times a day does your GPS throw you a curve ball? How many times a day does a driver around you do something completely random and unexpected?

I'll probably end up being wrong about this but I don't see true self-driving vehicles on the streets of LA for at least a decade and honestly 20 years is what i'm thinking. Partially automated will be much sooner, but self-driving autonomous vehicles... naw.

I think we'll see experimental automated cars serving very specific, very small areas. Specific metro areas with grid-style layouts would be a logical first step. Until then I think our jobs are safe.
I think the only way to see this sooner is if the corporations pay the corrupted politicians a lot of money.

Papa Sarducci

Eventually Government Motors will likely buy Lyft for the customer base and technology platform and use it for their own autonomous fleet, all funded by the 'Murican taxpayers.

UberLA818

I don't think this will happen soon, Fuber and Lyft apps can't even figure out The exact location to pick up a pax,because the GPS system is not accurate enough.The autopilot for the autonomous cars are still in beta mode ,look what happened to the Tesla driver killed while on autopilot, it is not reliable enough ,especially at night.
I need to look up the article but from what I remember the "self driving" car is programmed to protect the public over the passengers. So yes you will hear about people dying in car accidents due to these new Autonomous Vehicles.

SafeT

Will the driverless cars yell allah quackbar before they decapitate you? Or will they just kill you silently like Tesla.

SCdave

Tesla was not a Driverless Car. It really is just Enhanced Cruise Control but they stupidly called it Autopilot. It is only AutoAssist for a driver with butt in drivers seat.

I can see introduction in near term of Driverless cars but only on fixed courses. A large business Park or Tech City. . An island municipality or nation.

But I cant see driverless cars in near term on open roads/highways just anywhere in the USA.

And again, I want all driverless cars being tested by the CEO/ Boardmembers and their families first. . Lets see Travis or GMs CEO strap in his 1year child or grandchild, kiss them goodbye and set destination of their daycare center or pediatrician.

Last edited: