Lyft Clientele

Canteev

I only drive at the Shore, and I am confused how Uber and Lyft seem to have different clienteles. Just being honest, I've gotten a substantial amount requests from ghetto areas or havd dropped off in such locations. Given that there are a lot more Uber drivers than Lyft drivers--I know many do both, e.g., me--I just don't understand the discrepancy. One would think that it's easy as going for the nearest car--I know Uber is slightly more expensive, but the difference is minimal.

To be fair, of the 20 rides or so I've done on Lyft, I've not really any bad experience. However, I know there are certain places that make my skin crawl, and it definitely doesn't help that I've read about a couple of deaths in nearby locations. It's not that I haven't picked up or dropped off a pax while on Uber, but those numbers have already been matched on twenty rides on Lyft.

pvtandrewmalone

Base rate requests on both platforms sometimes draw a rough crowd. If you only drive surge/PT and stay away from pickups in rough neighborhoods, low income apartments, and shopping areas, you weed out the vast majority of your problem riders. This is why Uber and Lyft employ varying degrees of trickery to hide the complete pickup address from you.

Obviously, only driving surge is not an option at shore, but there are far fewer problem areas in shore zone. Know your market and use the information they give you to filter requests. Lyft gives you the name and picture whereas Uber doesn't. Non real names and gang symbols in the picture are a red flag. Use your gut....if you get a bad vibe about a pax...trust your gut and dont be afraid to cancel.

In the case of Uber, keep your cancellation rate under 20% each week and you won't have a problem. In the case of Lyft, clear data from the app and leave the app off. Ignore passengers' calls and texts. Eventually the system will automatically reassign the call because "you have lost contact with the Lyft system"

Last edited:

MiddleClassedOut

In Philly, the vast majority of drivers are from poorer areas, and predominantly black. From talking to my passengers and drivers the popularity of Lyft in poor areas is totally due to drivers from those areas spreading the word that Lyft was better and cheaper, and treated drivers better, and also to collect that $10 referral bonus drivers used to get.

I guarantee that if you pick up an African American in Philly they know someone who drives or drive themselves. You can probably go through 30 white passengers before you find one.

I'm pretty sure this is the case nationwide.