1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Lyft claims it now has more than one-third of the US ride-sharing market

Discussion in 'News' started by BurgerTiime, May 14, 2018.

1. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    [​IMG]
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/14/lyft-market-share-051418-bosa-sf.html

For the first time, Lyft is disclosing internal market-share numbers, and they show its momentum isn't letting up after it capitalized on Uber's disastrous 2017.

Lyft says it has 35 percent of the national ride-sharing market, up from 20 percent 18 months ago. That would represent growth of 75 percent.

Lyft credits more activations of passengers and customers and greater brand awareness. The start-up says its market share is over 40 percent in 16 U.S. markets and that it enjoys majority share in "multiple" markets, although it wouldn't disclose where.

"The last 18 months have been a period of incredible, sustained growth for Lyft," CFO Brian Roberts said. "There are no signs of that momentum slowing down."

As Lyft and Uber battle for market share, they've had to spend big on subsidies to drivers and promotional discounts to riders. It's a race-to-the-bottom strategy that has seen both companies burn through record amounts of cash and struggle to reach profitability.

But both have been trying to rein in spending as they look toward IPOs. Lyft says that in the first quarter of 2018, it reduced its sales and marketing spending by 20 percent year over year.

Market share numbers vary
    Typically, market-share figures for ride-sharing have been taken from third-party credit card data. Research firms Second Measure and Certify are often quoted.

As of March, Second Measure put Lyft's market share at 27 percent and Uber's at 73 percent. Certify, which tracks business expense data, found that Lyft had 19 percent of the enterprise ride-sharing market in the first quarter versus Uber's 81 percent.

Uber doesn't disclose market-share data, but a source familiar with how the company tracks it says Uber's internal metrics show it with 70 to 72 percent of the U.S. ride-sharing market, which would leave Lyft with at 28 to 30 percent. The person also said data show that Lyft has stopped gaining market share over the last six months.

A different person familiar with how Lyft calculates its market share says the company uses email receipt data, which provides data on ride fare, type and location. The same person says that some credit card panel data don't paint a full picture because debit cards aren't included and because it tracks spending instead of rides, which can overcount the high-end UberBlack town car service.

Second Measure tracks credit and debit cards but includes international rides in its U.S. market share calculation. So a ride by someone taking an Uber in France but with a U.S. credit card billing address would be added the U.S. market tally.

tohunt4me likes this.
  2. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt that lyft has one third of the market in San Diego so I’m sure it varies widely from market to market. Bounce is also making some inroads here.

Rickshaw likes this.
  3. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

complete bs

Lyft is simply stating they do, there is no evidence to back this up

Rickshaw likes this.
  4. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    Major rate cuts right around the corner. Drivers can expect less per mile as the race to the bottom heats up.

emdeplam likes this.
  5. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

"Internal numbers"...without independent auditing...= zero. Total BS.

Rickshaw likes this.
  6. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

How the hell is it that a third party company is accessing the transactions of customers ? Sounds completely legal.

7. heynow321

heynow321 Well-Known Member

Not in Seattle they don’t

8. FormerTaxiDriver♧

FormerTaxiDriver♧ Well-Known Member

Typical for Lyft to lie.

Rickshaw likes this.
  9. Trump Economics

Trump Economics Well-Known Member

This just in: Lyft has 1/3 of the US homeless population.

10. FormerTaxiDriver♧

FormerTaxiDriver♧ Well-Known Member

Yeah, they are getting discounted rides and ****ting up Lyft drivers cars!

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Rickshaw, emdeplam and tohunt4me like this.
  11. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Because
    They didnt spend money on countries they could never hope to compete in.

Also no B.S. HYPE.

FLYING CARS !

12. Jesusdrivesuber

Jesusdrivesuber Well-Known Member

I'll buy that, I can compare request rates from the past 2 years to today and say it has actually gotten more market, a whole lot more.

In my area, our airport queues have more Lyft drivers than Uber drivers.

13. f killa

f killa Active Member

35% ? you have got to be kidding.
    no cars in L. A. in morning hours.
    pax asking if Lyft is still in business.

Rickshaw and Thebiggestscam like this.
  14. getnada.com

getnada.com Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    It must be why I go into the airport lot I see 10 lyft only cars. I get into the Uber queue, get a ride in 10 min, drive pax, return to lot and the same 10 lyft cars are still waiting. Lol.

Rickshaw, mrpjfresh and Rakos like this.
  15. Ride-Share-Risk-Manager

Ride-Share-Risk-Manager Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Lyft in NJ probably does have one third of the marketplace but those passengers are children, ghetto thugs, drug dealers and cheap ass people who use Lyft line and live in the hood. Lyft has the passengers that drivers don't want, and who live in high crime neighborhoods where drivers should not go.

16. Thebiggestscam

Thebiggestscam Active Member

Same in this city unless it’s a stupid newbie that doesn’t know an better lol

Rickshaw likes this.
  17. goneubering

goneubering Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I highly doubt their 35% claim.

Rickshaw likes this.
  18. mytheq63

mytheq63 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    In my market Lyft has only been here a little over a year, and when they first started up I received 10 Uber rides for every Lyft, now it is 50/50 and on some weekends when Lyft has a promo going I receive 90%+ Lyft rides. And here the Lyft riders are usually a better quality than the Uber Pax. It is very market dependent.

19. Bulls23

Bulls23 Well-Known Member

Sounds about right for DC market. In fact, it feels like they have 35-40% at times. In burbs its 50-50 for sure.

20. CTK

CTK Well-Known Member

Lyft has completely eliminated any prime-time or bonus in Tampa Bay. The Justin Timberlake concert the other night was hilarious, was getting non-stop Lyft pings from 45 minutes away. Meanwhile, Uber is surging at 5x+.