Lyft chose a bad time to lower rates.

jfinks

I haven't been driving much, but every once and a while turn the apps on to see how long it takes to get a request. After a few minutes Lyft will throw you a pickup 15-20 minutes away. No thanks. Maybe at the old rate i'd try it.

One of the reasons for lower rates is trying to get more requests. Now that requests are few and far between it is a total waste of time risking getting 30min from home with no other rides.

John McYeet

I’ve been wondering if it’s even worth going out at all on U/L. Haven’t drove in about a week and did one Postmates trip earlier in the week. Pays about the same as gross Uber eats so what’s the point. Got an interview delivering for amazon next week. I’ll see how that goes.

jfinks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had one trip mid week from OP to Excelsior Springs and back. Luckily it was a round trip. Crazy it only paid $72. I made out ok, it was gross about $35 per hour. Took $10 in gas. Other than that, just going online every once and a while. Slow, but then you will get pickups in Grand view and I am almost in Lenexa.

kcdrvr15

LOL, I raised my rates... I set my taxi meter to $5 flag drop, $2.90 mile, and $.50 min wait time, and I added $10 to all my flat rate fares. The key to surviving during these times is be flexible and don't sell yourself short. This is the time to be out marketing your services, getting your car repaired or cleaned up. There are going to be lots of disruptions this next year, and with these "disruptions" will come lots of new opportunities, if you snooze, you lose.

There are only 2 kinds of people, Winners and Losers, the difference is the winners don't stop trying.

jfinks

LOL, I raised my rates... I set my taxi meter to $5 flag drop, $2.90 mile, and $.50 min wait time, and I added $10 to all my flat rate fares. The key to surviving during these times is be flexible and don't sell yourself short. This is the time to be out marketing your services, getting your car repaired or cleaned up. There are going to be lots of disruptions this next year, and with these "disruptions" will come lots of new opportunities, if you snooze, you lose.

There are only 2 kinds of people, Winners and Losers, the difference is the winners don't stop trying.
That's nice but few people would take a round trip to Excelsior Springs for example at those rates. They just wouldn't go if that was the only option. Lyft was actually a decent paying gig on the KS side until this last round of cuts. Now it just marginally better than uber, ride pickups are way farther that uber. So basically before I might drive a little further to pickup a lyft rider, but now my pickup radius is under 3 miles just like uber. Sometimes I will go up to 4-5 miles if it is all highway and is still under 8 minutes pickup time.

The weird thing is I looked up the Uber payout on that trip, I made 72, but the app said uber only charged like $64 or something silly like that. The rider should have been charged like $100 at least. I asked the rider if she made this trip often and she said she did so I gave her my number to see if we can do a cash deal. Problem is if Uber is only quoting 64, this won't work. I was going to tell her I'd do it for $80 cash. I make a little more and she saves a little.

kcdrvr15

I don't worry if the pax can afford the trip or not, and I've lost fares because my rates are higher. Oh well they can walk.

jfinks

Ya, I ended up in Grandview tonight on my one Lyft ride. On the way back I got a request at like 119th and Ridgeview over 15min away. Sometimes I will accept these to try to bait the rider for a cancel fee once they realize how far away I am. So about half way there I get a message, "Store closes at 10:45". Kinda miffed at this point. Then the "Hurry" message when I am about 8 min away. I stewed a little and contemplated, probably going 2 miles and no tip. So I canceled about 5 min away as I drove past my house. I was like nope not at these rates now. Have fun walking.

kcdrvr15

I hit Union station tonight, picked up a rider to the 12th St Marriott, $10 fare w/ $10 tip. Booked his trip tomorrow to KCI, @ $59...

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
Ya, I ended up in Grandview tonight on my one Lyft ride. On the way back I got a request at like 119th and Ridgeview over 15min away. Sometimes I will accept these to try to bait the rider for a cancel fee once they realize how far away I am. So about half way there I get a message, "Store closes at 10:45". Kinda miffed at this point. Then the "Hurry" message when I am about 8 min away. I stewed a little and contemplated, probably going 2 miles and no tip. So I canceled about 5 min away as I drove past my house. I was like nope not at these rates now. Have fun walking.
I probably would have shuffled this person out of sheer spite.

jfinks

Ya, I didn't feel spiteful at all. Lyft just significantly cut rates. I'm pretty sure this was at a grocery store that means lots of stuff to haul. Combine that with no tips, probably short distance, the messages, and I just drove by my house, it was an easy decision.

Ajjoco

I watch this forum a bit. Ive been in this business 11 years. ive seen the fake white taxi subaru a few times. No airport permit cant park on the second row. always soliciting. I assume this is you? If you cant take a chip card in your car without uber. You are a NOOB Stay [email protected]! ok bbl airport trip. then 80 dollar a day personal. $120min before 9am. 3 hours. Hows corona treating you!?????

Last edited:

kcdrvr15

There must be another one, I've got airport and taxi credentials, checker strip down side and company # on back glass. Even have a toplight..
Post automatically merged:

Here 's a pic of my taxi 20200328_212047.jpg

Last edited:

Ajjoco

You think its a coincidence I know exactly what you drove before you showed the pic? eat at scotts??? Just sayin ive seen you roaming the terminals. Its easily noticeable. when all the taxis wait in a line and all the towncars have to pay for parking and have there own lot... And some white subaru is driving in circles around the terminal with no parking permit and no white sheet of paper on the dash. Airport security may not notice. Drivers do. What your doing is illegal. Taxis cannot solicit at KCI and they cannot be flagged down. There is a phone inside specifically for cabs.

I really feel like anyone who has the permits and is in the control tower regularly. would be aware of these simple rules. Maybe not who knows. I can say this alot of people know that vehicle. I knew what car it was before you verified it. must be another coincidence.

Last edited:

kcdrvr15

You think its a coincidence I know exactly what you drove before you showed the pic? eat at scotts??? Just sayin ive seen you roaming the terminals. Its easily noticeable. when all the taxis wait in a line and all the towncars have to pay for parking and have there own lot... And some white subaru is driving in circles around the terminal with no parking permit and no white sheet of paper on the dash. Airport security may not notice. Drivers do. What your doing is illegal. Taxis cannot solicit at KCI and they cannot be flagged down. There is a phone inside specifically for cabs.

I really feel like anyone who has the permits and is in the control tower regularly. would be aware of these simple rules. Maybe not who knows. I can say this alot of people know that vehicle. I knew what car it was before you verified it. must be another coincidence.
Your mistaken my friend, I have airport credentials, the real question is do you have any balls, if so why don't you approach me at the terminal ?

ignore

Crosbyandstarsky

I haven't been driving much, but every once and a while turn the apps on to see how long it takes to get a request. After a few minutes Lyft will throw you a pickup 15-20 minutes away. No thanks. Maybe at the old rate i'd try it.

One of the reasons for lower rates is trying to get more requests. Now that requests are few and far between it is a total waste of time risking getting 30min from home with no other rides.
I only take ride within 3 miles. No one cares about your acceptance rate