1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Lyft and Life

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by REagCB, Sep 10, 2015.

1. REagCB

REagCB

I'm back to the site for the first time in a few weeks. My car had some issues so I took a sabbatical and got a new one. Finally signed up for Lyft and absolutely love it. Haven't turned Uber on in days. Wishing I had done that months ago...

I can FINALLY pick up from the airport now that my car is newer! I've only done 2 so far but I've taken a real liking to hanging out at the liberty station starbucks and getting some work done while I wait.

Do any of you experienced lyfter's know how I can check to see of any tips came in after my morning summary arrived? For example, if I gave someone a ride at 10pm and they hadn't tipped by whenever the cut off is for the summary the next morning how do I find out. They still have until 10pm that day.

Also, it seems like I keep getting blocked from this site..? A few times now I've tried to go on, on my phone and it says my IP address has been blocked. I have to restart my phone or go on my computer to make it work. I like to think I'm one of the least controversial members here so I'm hoping its a fluke...

Luberon likes this.
  2. Bill Feit

Bill Feit

Driving:
    UberXL
    I have to say you are making a couple of big mistakes..first is waiting at Liberty Station if you are NOT ON UBER...Lyft uses same system for pickup at SAN as they do with all other calls...closest car gets the fare...this actually makes you break the airport rules if you really want business. You need to park in Spanish Landing (illegally) or in the short term parking lot, if you want to be closest to the terminal!!! In the weeks pickup has been legal I have had 3 Lyft SAN pickups (about 30 Uber)...only one was from Liberty Station and that was because I was the ONLY PLUS vehicle in the area, the other two came within seconds of my dropping off an Uber Fare at the Terminal.

Second big mistake...Lyft gets only 20% (maybe) of the total rideshare business. You are missing out on all those great lower profit fares!! ;) If you now have a vehicle that qualifies you to get into the Uber FIFO and pickup you should use it. I have both apps on at all times with no fares and only about 15% of my business this year is from Lyft!! I am in North County however...a marked disadvantage.

3. REagCB

REagCB

Hi Bill! I appreciate that tip! The couple of times I've been at the airport I have actually turned uber on once I entered the zone. I had figured out that lyft went with the closet car on about my second time to the airport because as I was driving by the airport and had just entered the zone I got a request. I am trying to focus more on my business and less on ride sharing So I've welcomed the long breaks in between lyft request as I just find a Starbucks to work at. Plus I am limiting the number of miles I put on my new car a week so I'd rather those miles go towards rides that get me more per mile and tips. With that being said I have done a few ubers rides in the last couple of days when I was out and wanted a ride. It is so true that lyft is much slower though. I've been online 40 hours this week for lyft and have done 18 rides. Whereas uber I've been online probably 6 and have done about 10. I live in RB so it's pretty slow for me around my home too.

4. RockinEZ

RockinEZ

Driving:
    UberX
    RE are you getting long pings from Lyft?
    I ask because most of my Lyft pings have been far away and short rides. Also Lyft seems to market to pax that are less than optional if you understand. Four block rides are more common with Lyft for me, and I need to drive 15 minutes to pick up that short ride.

If things are different, then I will start using the Lyft app again.

Uber and the airport... Yes Liberty Station is limbo hell. There are other places closer that receive pings, where Liberty Station does not. It is not Spanish Landing. Uber blocks (or so they say) pings at Spanish Landing.

There are back roads at the airport that will get you more action. Some are where the "stink pump station" are, so they come at a cost. None are on Harbor Island or Liberty Station. Occasional pings only.

I go to those places when I want a break to walk around, take photos, a piss, and hope for a possible ping. I get more pings driving by the AP on Harbor Drive on the way to downtown than I do at Liberty Station, or Harbor Island. Uber is jiving us as usual.

Look for the black cars in the demo area. They are there for a reason.

5. REagCB

REagCB

Majority of my lyft pings have been pretty close by or less than 8 minutes away at least. I've had two that were 10-12 mins away but I took them because I'm working on getting the power driver bonus this week. Good tips on the airport!

6. RockinEZ

RockinEZ

Driving:
    UberX
    If Lyft is picking up in San Diego, I may turn on the app again.
    Lyft does ding your score if you turn down an ping. I found my score was tanking because I don't take 15 min pings from Uber or Lyft. Uber doesn't care if you are doing 20 trips a night. Lyft seems to be self sacrificing. Might as well open a rating vein with Lyft's system.

I would like Lyft to succeed in San Diego, just because of the tip option.

I will check it out tomorrow and next week. I will see how it goes.

7. San Diego Steve

San Diego Steve

Driving:
    UberX
    I was 66% acceptance rate and my rating went up .4 yesterday on 6 rides.

8. San Diego Steve

San Diego Steve

Driving:
    UberX
    Just saw your post, uber is screwing us with the FIFO zone, not working. Used to get all my AirPort pickups at harbor island, nothing now. It is now like every other ride, closest to the pin looks like. Going to be a traffic jam around airport, stupid dip ****s keep on changing the plan!

RockinEZ likes this.
  9. San Diego Steve

San Diego Steve

Driving:
    UberX
    Everyone is sitting in short term lot, would be nice if someone confirms getting ride request their. I'm at Spanish landing, will report results. Just had drop off from la Jolla, woman said might puke, drive very smooth and she went to sleep, near miss.

10. Bill Feit

Bill Feit

Driving:
    UberXL
    I really believe FIFO is as stated by Uber with the possible exception of the Fire Department training area and old barracks off McCain road. Uber says this is not in FIFO but I think I have gotten pings there. I do believe you will not receive an Uber ping in Spanish Landing..turn your Lyft on..you will get it there but if you want an even better chance on Lyft just go get a ticket and park in short term pickup area. My opinion of course.

11. REagCB

REagCB

I think I might stick with uber for the airport. It all sounds too complicated to get a ride with lyft from the airport.

12. San Diego Steve

San Diego Steve

Driving:
    UberX

13. Bill Feit

Bill Feit

Driving:
    UberXL
    So Steve...did you get an Uber ping while in Spanish Landing...you said you would report..thanks. I had 2 pickups today and the first was only 3 minutes while driving down HD and the second was while waiting in Lanning Road commercial...14 minutes. Both were not north again!!! First to Coronado during no prime and second only to 6th ave downtown! Drove home empty again!

14. San Diego Steve

San Diego Steve

Driving:
    UberX
    Hey Bill, lots of bs to deal with in past day, I posted that my app froze last night during a ride from SD. Did not have time to go online here. No SD pickups from Spanish landing, only shelter island pickup. Had a huge day yesterday, $300 gross in 10 hours, but drove 300 miles so wore my car out. My goal is $1 per mile including commute from carlsbad. Had rate SD pickup to end day to solana beach. $170 gross for 17o miles total driven. Got some SD pings, but don't think FIFO is working. Uber froze me out last night and finally got online today. Lyft is picking up!