Lured by surge?

Halfmybrain

Friday night I was on the north side, got a trip to South Lawndale. I saw that there was a $9 surge at Midway. I looked up Arrivals and there were a few coming in around the time I'd get there. So yep, turned app off and headed to the area. Turned it back on when I approached (Knowing that TNP is optional during surges). No more surge. Got to the TNP lot, headed to the portapotties around the same time as someone else. "Did the $9 surge lure you here?" He said "I saw a $13 surge but it disappeared on my way." Yeah, me too.

Some time ago Uber promised that surges would stay longer than the used to--which I have NOT seen to be the case in recent weeks. They have kept with the "sticky surge" so if I go through a surge area, my next ride, no matter the origin point, will retain that surge amount.

The lot was more full than usual. Before I was done in the loo, I got pinged to Door 4. Picked up some of my most fun customers ever, a mom & daughter from Arizona, NOT dressed for the weather, but would have more layers by the time of the Cubs game Saturday. They were just in town to get away from their boring husband/dad. I rarely do this, but I mustered a LITTLE bit of touristy info about a landmark or two, and we just had a fun casual conversation, with a bit of rideshare hints as well. Hearing that their weekend was mostly going to be spontaneous, I recommended they might like to take in an improv show (NON Second City, of course!--they being largely scripted) and, of course, a certain restaurant which will remain nameless because it's not the point. $15 tip in the app and for once I was actually watching...cuz I thought I did a standout job (I got my "surge").

Back to the queue though, why would I, upon arrival, get pinged to the airport when there were at least 30 people waiting in there already? Seems like simple enough technology...first in, first out?

BeingStewie

Midway Uber surge is created by drivers staying offline and Lyft aggressive effort to control surge and giving only 20% prime time and no one picking Lyft rides, pushes Uber surge to $13 to $18 at times.

Lyft is losing airport business to Uber, by this change, gone are days when midway would prime time to even 100%. What this is doing is affecting the people living around Midway and have to pay more because of the airport surge control. I wonder what the aldermen’s of those wards have to say to their constituents for this pricing discrimination or lack of access of affordable Rideshare ride compared to other areas of the city.

Attachments

Rj312

The last 3 times I went to the midway TNP lot (which are the only times I have been there since they moved the lot from 63rd Street), as soon as I entered, I was pinged to the airport. I found it strange too because each time the lot was full of cars. How can it be that as soon as I enter, I get pinged to the airport? What about the other drivers in queue? Makes no sense. Also, I live near the airport and several times, I turn on my app to start working and get pinged directly to the airport even though I’m sure there’s cars in queue at the lot.

BeingStewie

The last 3 times I went to the midway TNP lot (which are the only times I have been there since they moved the lot from 63rd Street), as soon as I entered, I was pinged to the airport. I found it strange too because each time the lot was full of cars. How can it be that as soon as I enter, I get pinged to the airport? What about the other drivers in queue? Makes no sense. Also, I live near the airport and several times, I turn on my app to start working and get pinged directly to the airport even though I’m sure there’s cars in queue at the lot.
Because you are put in que when driving from the airport to the pit on Cicero, and because drivers in the pit keep going offline and online to manipulate surge, so you get bumped up the que and will be next in line once you enter the pit.

My frustration is you have to drive all the way down to the get a ride, sometimes I don’t mind a lesser or non-surge ride from the airport than go back and forth and wait in pit. It happens sometimes if the airport is surging at $10, and you are close by, they will send you a $5 surge request from midway if most drivers are offline.

UberBeemer

I wonder what the aldermen’s of those wards have to say to their constituents for this pricing discrimination or lack of access of affordable Rideshare ride compared to other areas of the city.
They say, welcome to chicago, thank uou for your $5 convenience tax, and be careful where you park.

Bman1974

Today Uber was sketch as heck. I did a pool ride since it was a df to midway. Drop off at cta. Uber tried to add a base pool rider at midway. I cancelled and it showed a $6.50 surge at midway.

Stupid Uber.

Nu1

Today Uber was sketch as heck. I did a pool ride since it was a df to midway. Drop off at cta. Uber tried to add a base pool rider at midway. I cancelled and it showed a $6.50 surge at midway.

Stupid Uber.
Uber is playing this game all over, not only at the airports. Safe bet is to stop incoming trips.
Uber learned a lot of our trick and now they use it on us.......there is no room for mistakes guys.

OP-Matt

Same thing for me last week when I ran through MDW. The second I entered the lot, got the ping. Even though the queue showed 10-15 when I was waiting to turn left at the light. I don’t get it.

BeingStewie

They say, welcome to chicago, thank uou for your $5 convenience tax, and be careful where you park.
Isn’t the $5 going to the city and/or airport authority and not to the ward. I don’t think riders of midway surrounding neighborhoods see what we see on our driver app. Just to control the airport surge to drivers, both Uber and Lyft are surging the surrounding areas.

Actually, there are a couple of wards affected by this and probably no one knows about this manipulation. If anyone (preferably a U//L driver) living in those wards complain to their alderman maybe they might be able to make a difference for us as well. Just a thought, if anyone is listening!

Last edited:

4Wheels5Stars0Hopes

Isn’t the $5 going to the city and/or airport authority and not to the ward. I don’t think riders of midway surrounding neighborhoods see what we see on our driver app. Just to control the airport surge to drivers, both Uber and Lyft are surging the surrounding areas.

Actually, there are a couple of wards affected by this and probably no one knows about this manipulation. If anyone (preferably a U//L driver) living in those wards complain to their alderman maybe they might be able to make a difference for us as well. Just a thought, if anyone is listening!
What Wards are affected? Seems to me Rosemont, Besenville are the ones who are hurt the most.

BeingStewie

What Wards are affected? Seems to me Rosemont, Besenville are the ones who are hurt the most.
You are talking about Ohare, which is surrounded by a lot of commercial areas, and dead zones, and the surge around Ohare doesn’t explode as much as it does around Midway.

Since MDW is smaller in size the surge suppression spreads to multiple neighborhoods as shown in the pics I posted. And midway has more people living closer around it than does Ohare.

You can make the same argument about ORD too, but the impact is bigger around Midway, to lower income people, hence a stronger argument to fix it.

Guty

I never bother going to Midway TNP. I have noticed a certain intersection not far from there that I get requests to pickup. At first I thought it was just coincidence but have gone to that very intersection 6 times before and sure enough, I get a request. How is that possible. Thought you need to be at the TNP for pickups.