• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Low cost airlines charge people for drinks/snacks. Why can't we?

Should Drivers be allowed to sell extra stuff to make Uber profitable?

• Total voters

Uberchampion

This post is based off of one that's come up in the Toronto forum on how to ensure Uber is profitable. The OP'S tactic is to sell extra items like pop, chips, can't etc.

Initially I thought it was a silly idea however one of the posters Harry70 has a really good point.

Harry70 said:
I dont see any harm in it, sone cheap airlines u have to buy your snack , uber x is cheap as well, uber should allow drivers to sell water or aux or battery charger as uber is paying pennies, rider are not civilized enough to tip driver if they r using some things extra Driver is paying from is own pocket

https://uberpeople.net/threads/how-to-make-a-money-while-ubering.101971/#post-1451905

What are your thoughts?

Harry70

If i buy water, aux, cable, mints , data; waste time and energy buying it , who is going to pay for it ? remember stars doents put food on table

Disgusted Driver

There's no reason why you can't charge people for snacks but how much do you think you are going to make? Not enough to be worth the hassle when they think they might be getting something for free.

Another Uber Driver

They can ask you to end the trip whenever they want
Please do keep in mind that there is a difference between ending the trip and stopping at Icky-D's then resuming the trip. Most drivers do not like stopping, as it does not pay to wait. If they want to change their mind, go to Icky-D's, end the trip, fine. I do not want to wait while they go into
Icky-D's, wait half the day, get their order, check it on the way out and notice that it is not correct, go back, wait again, wait while they correct the order.

This is what makes most of the drivers complain.

Uberchampion

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
  1. There's no reason why you can't charge people for snacks but how much do you think you are going to make? Not enough to be worth the hassle when they think they might be getting something for free.
I'm in no way saying you should or should not charge pax for Snacks but if you did....it could be profitable.
Cost vs. Charge
Water $0.25 a bottle $1.00
Pop $0.40 a can $1.00
Chips $0.50 a bag $1.00

You put your mind into it and you can double your earnings

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought of buying a 15 pack of starbucks frappuccinos you can buy at costco for $16s and then sell them for $ 3 a bottle but I think an idea like that would only work if you have the salesman personality for it otherwise it will probably backfire on your ratings.

Cheap crappy stuff that people expect as free though don't bother trying to sell it.

Oscar Levant

This post is based off of one that's come up in the Toronto forum on how to ensure Uber is profitable. The OP'S tactic is to sell extra items like pop, chips, can't etc.

Initially I thought it was a silly idea however one of the posters Harry70 has a really good point.

Harry70 said:
I dont see any harm in it, sone cheap airlines u have to buy your snack , uber x is cheap as well, uber should allow drivers to sell water or aux or battery charger as uber is paying pennies, rider are not civilized enough to tip driver if they r using some things extra Driver is paying from is own pocket

https://uberpeople.net/threads/how-to-make-a-money-while-ubering.101971/#post-1451905

What are your thoughts?
This idea has been tossed around for years. I'll tell you why it never catches on.

I file this idea in the "nickle and diming your customers dept".

Do you really want to do this?

I wouldn't.

In California, you'll need to get a seller's permit with the Dept of Equalization, and then
you'll have to go online and fill out a sales tax report every quarter, keep track of all these nickles and dimes.

In other words, at least in California, it's just a big hassle.

UberBastid

This idea has been tossed around for years. I'll tell you why it never catches on.
I file this idea in the "nickle and diming your customers dept".
Do you really want to do this?
I wouldn't.
In California, you'll need to get a seller's permit with the Dept of Equalization, and then
you'll have to go online and fill out a sales tax report every quarter, keep track of all these nickles and dimes.
In other words, at least in California, it's just a big hassle.
In the part of Cali that I live in (rural Northern California) there is a time honored tradition of screwing the tax man. There is a huge barter economy here, and cheating on your taxes is how our kids learn math.
Our kids don't pay taxes on their lemonade stand earnings.
My wife doesn't pay taxes when she goes to craft shows to sell her home made jewelry.
I don't pay taxes when I sell a pound of weed that I grew in my own back yard.
And, if I sold a bag of potato chips to someone - I would refuse to pay a penny in taxes on it.

An income tax return is an "offer."
If they don't like my offer, they make a "counter offer" (now, the tax man calls that an "audit").
Freedom is not having anything to lose.

I told an IRS auditor once, "You don't have to go through all this crap to get everything I own. You want it? I have it right here in my pocket. Looks like .. um, ... $4.37 -- want it?" I offered it to him. "Let's call it an Offer in Compromise." I got a strange look from him as my CPA was kicking me under the table. The "audit" ended a week later, and was a 'no change'.

~UberBastid~