Lost property - New ways to screw drivers.

LevelX

TL;DR Uber screws you over if a pax leaves something in car.

So I had a pax leave something in the car, back seat, didn't notice it at the time and I glace to make sure they have everything. It wasn't overly big, so easy to miss at the time. Next pax noticed it though!

So I put a pax left a item in my car, in the field can uber share my phone number, I said NO as I knew how this would end up (it did end up how I thought it would).

Well...... I get a reply from Uber saying thanks for letting us know, we shared your number with the pax and its now up to you two to work out returning the item. WTF? No Uber, thats not what I said you could do.

So now Uber has washed their hands of the issue, the pax calls and I'm on a trip, so let it go to voicemail. Says they didn't think they left anything in the car etc.

So I call back, get voice mail. Yep first name matches the licence I have here, so you did leave something. Left a voicemail advising etc.

Anyhow, some time goes by, I happen to be semi close, so start heading towards pax drop off point, so I call, no answer, call again and again, as I'm a bit pissed off how this is unfolding. If I don't return it now, it'll be about 70-80 mins from my home and will be a 'next week' type of thing. No way that is happening!

Finally someone different answers, and says xyz is busy, who is this. I say who I am and they're like yeah they're busy can you call back. I'm like no, but if xyz wants abc back today I need to talk to them now, otherwise its won't be till next week some time. Funny enough, in 10 seconds they are on the phone. FML these millennials are painful to deal with at times.

So after them not even knowing they lost this item, I said I can swing by in about 10 mins to drop it off. They're like that would be good. So I get there, call and they come out. I hand over the item, they say thanks, turn around and go back inside.

WTF? No REAL thank you, no 'reward' offered, just a half arsed thank you and walked off while I was basically mid sentence. I was left with my jaw wide open, stunned.

Not that I wanted a reward (but wouldn't say no if they tossed $10-20 my way), BUT some type of meaningful thank you and maybe even a token offer of "Is there any way to repay you?" would have been nice and all I needed. I wouldn't have asked for anything unless something was offered.

So once again, Uber screws the driver over. I got all this extra work, had to travel 40 mins for 'free' to return this item, the pax was crap and offered nothing.

Yeah I could have said something, but I was stunned at the response, I was gobsmacked by the rudeness. Just returned your licence, house keys etc and this is how you treat me!?

Moral of the story is, if you find something in the car, shut your mouth until the pax asks for it? Cause this is what Uber is making me feel like. Its a no win outcome for us drivers. All this hassle of a $12 fare that was in heavy traffic. So yay to me.... 60-90 mins worth of work all up for less than $15.

Sadly I have morals and wanted to do the right thing, but I feel really burnt by the experience. I don't want to be a 'taxi driver', but gee some of these paxs make it hard not to be one.

Uber really needs a 'lost item fee'. A $10 or $20 charge for items returned.

Last edited:

Mightymong

mate, I feel you. I had a very similar experience only in my case the rider never called. And Ub won't give me the rider number although they clearly said that the rider now has my number. Had back n forth with them until finally they said best I go leave it at a police station. Yes yes, so much about caring for my welfare

LevelX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
said best I go leave it at a police station
You know what..... This is a great idea! Maybe I should have done that next time. Washed my hands of it like Uber washed theirs.

When the pax calls/text. I'll just say, yes xyz item was handed in to abc police station, you may collect your item from there.

Look, these things happen. Partly my issue for not seeing this item, partly theirs for leaving it. But I was just shocked at the rudeness. I really felt like I should have tossed it out the window and never told Uber. This person was so undeserving of any kindness in the end.

Live and learn!

Danny Driveshare

Always leave it at police station regardless what the item is as they give you a lost property statment.
Especially drivers licence because you could be accused of all sorts of stuff.

Drop it at any police statement.

tohunt4me

So I had a pax leave something in the car, back seat, didn't notice it at the time and I glace to make sure they have everything. It wasn't overly big, so easy to miss at the time. Next pax noticed it though!

So I put a pax left a item in my car, in the field can uber share my phone number, I said NO as I knew how this would end up (it did end up how I thought it would).

Well...... I get a reply from Uber saying thanks for letting us know, we shared your number with the pax and its now up to you two to work out returning the item. WTF? No Uber, thats not what I said you could do.

So now Uber has washed their hands of the issue, the pax calls and I'm on a trip, so let it go to voicemail. Says they didn't think they left anything in the car etc.

So I call back, get voice mail. Yep first name matches the licence I have here, so you did leave something. Left a voicemail advising etc.

Anyhow, some time goes by, I happen to be semi close, so start heading towards pax drop off point, so I call, no answer, call again and again, as I'm a bit pissed off how this is unfolding. If I don't return it now, it'll be about 70-80 mins from my home and will be a 'next week' type of thing. No way that is happening!

Finally someone different answers, and says xyz is busy, who is this. I say who I am and they're like yeah they're busy can you call back. I'm like no, but if xyz wants abc back today I need to talk to them now, otherwise its won't be till next week some time. Funny enough, in 10 seconds they are on the phone. FML these millennials are painful to deal with at times.

So after them not even knowing they lost this item, I said I can swing by in about 10 mins to drop it off. They're like that would be good. So I get there, call and they come out. I hand over the item, they say thanks, turn around and go back inside.

WTF? No REAL thank you, no 'reward' offered, just a half arsed thank you and walked off while I was basically mid sentence. I was left with my jaw wide open, stunned.

Not that I wanted a reward (but wouldn't say no if they tossed $10-20 my way), BUT some type of meaningful thank you and maybe even a token offer of "Is there any way to repay you?" would have been nice and all I needed. I wouldn't have asked for anything unless something was offered.

So once again, Uber screws the driver over. I got all this extra work, had to travel 40 mins for 'free' to return this item, the pax was crap and offered nothing.

Yeah I could have said something, but I was stunned at the response, I was gobsmacked by the rudeness. Just returned your licence, house keys etc and this is how you treat me!?

Moral of the story is, if you find something in the car, shut your mouth until the pax asks for it? Cause this is what Uber is making me feel like. Its a no win outcome for us drivers. All this hassle of a $12 fare that was in heavy traffic. So yay to me.... 60-90 mins worth of work all up for $15.

Sadly I have morals and wanted to do the right thing, but I feel really burnt by the experience. I don't want to be a 'taxi driver', but gee some of these paxs make it hard not to be one.

Problem : RESOLVED

We gave out your number.
We're done.

laureb

Moral of the story is, if you find something in the car, shut your mouth until the pax asks for it? Cause this is what Uber is making me feel like. Its a no win outcome for us drivers. All this hassle of a $12 fare that was in heavy traffic. So yay to me.... 60-90 mins worth of work all up for $15.

Makes me think the number of times i handed back mobile phones with just a thx and only once i was proposed a coffee as a reward. The timing now is to get them.drive towards your local place to hand over any lost item . Me personally i do no longer drive towards pax

tohunt4me

Never had any trouble.
Always offered a reward,sometimes I take it.

Last one was set of keys.
Girl was college student and waitress.
Stop by her work door man says no one by that name here.
I tell him I'm Uber driver and have keys for her.he says hold on.
( they deny presence of employees in case of stalkers)
Handed off keys.
So, in certain circumstances explain situation.

Tom2828

3 time phone was left on my car. Always told pax I'll drop it in the city while I'm ubering. No problems and twice got 50$ tip.

Since then I'm verify that pax don't leave anything in my car ( ask them and check)

LevelX

Since then I'm verify that pax don't leave anything in my car ( ask them and check)
You can ask and look, but its a bit hard to see all areas of the back seat from the drivers seat. Which was the case today.

Makes me think the number of times i handed back mobile phones with just a thx and only once i was proposed a coffee as a reward.
Well this 'pax' worked at a cafe.... So yeah, I was a little pissed they didn't even offer a 'free' coffee up as a thank you.

Oh well, live and learn. Anyhow, I'm glad to hear some of you have had 'nice' paxs who gave a reward or offered some thanks. My issue wasn't so much the money, it was just the way it was handled by them.

Next time I'll hand the item in to MY LOCAL police station. The Uber trip out to the burbs and back will send them broke!

Last edited:

TbirdUber

G'day guys and gals!
Had a couple of mobile phones left in my car, returned to owners asap and both times rewarded with $20 tip. Admittedly wasn't long after drop offs so not to far to drop the phones off. Last time drop off in Brighton, was in Port Melb when in contact with pax, drove phone back to Brighton and managed a 2 x Surge to the city afterwards.
I feel for you though after all your efforts to return their property you were basically snubbed. Talk about putting the ME in MillEnnials .....

Homebrand Taxi

Appalling. At what point in that person's upbringing were they told not to reward honesty?? And you just have to take a deep breath, stay calm and smile as you greet the next person who leaves something in your car and repeats the same behaviour. I've received rewards for things returned (including one I had no use for i.e a bottle of red) but also received nowt just like you did. I don't expect it but live by the very basic premise that when a favour is done, you return it. If it weren't for the fact that they'd probably have a whinge, I'd be tempted to leave a note in their letterbox reminding them of what it means to devalue a good turn.

Grand

Could drop it off at the local Uber office with or without relevant information :p
Or tell pax they need to book a courier (or Uber) to collect from you and deliver to them.:biggrin::eek:

Last edited:

LevelX

I don't expect it but live by the very basic premise that when a favour is done, you return it.
I was just after some common decency.... show a bit of real thanks for someone who is helping you fix up your mistake. At the end of the day it was their mistake. THEY left it in the car to start with, yes I failed to see it after a drop off but still.

I do worry about the human race these days.... these young ones are worrying.

I'd be tempted to leave a note in their letterbox reminding them of what it means to devalue a good turn.
Oh I'll leave something in their mailbox for sure....... Might even put a note with it :wink:

Could drop it off at the local Uber office
I'm sure Uber will hot potato it back to me some how, just like they did with the first request when I said NO to sharing my phone number, as I had a feeling this was how it was going to end.... and it did.

Anyhow, I've had my vent. I did the right thing, so I can feel good about myself.

sporadic

Oh. I had a guy who left his camera in my car before. I swung back round to the city to drop it off (thankfully it was a public holiday so free parking). He got pretty thankful and didn't tip me though, but left a lovely massive 5* comment for me. But the funny thing was that he actually pinged me before and cancelled on me after 5 min, so I had a cancel fee from him. Took that as my tip.

Instyle

Never report anything left in your car!

Upon noticing anything in the left in the car, proceed to the nearest police station (or the furtherest away :p) and hand the item in where they will give you a lost or field property receipt. When Uber or a pax contact you; inform them which police station and mention you have the receipt with time, date and description, thank you and hang up.

All over, red rover. Done, finished. Don't cater to ungrateful entitled people.

Tom2828

Upon noticing anything in the left in the car, proceed to the nearest police station (or the furtherest away :p) and hand the item in where they will give you a lost or field property receipt. When Uber or a pax contact you; inform them which police station and mention you have the receipt with time, date and description, thank you and hang up.

+1

The riders that left there phone in my car was working in the city. Since I few times a day in the city I don't mind as a good customer service to drop them the phone. They all was waiting outside for it and tip me

LevelX

The police station process takes just as long as swinging around and dropping it back to the pax, depending on how close you are etc when you find the item etc. But in todays example, I wish I handed them in to my LOCAL police station.

Its all about customer service at the end of the day, I would be grateful if someone brought my items back, in this case ID/house keys had been part of them. So tossing the driver a $20 is nothing compared to getting all my cards reissued and house keys cut again. Let alone being locked out of the house!

But I guess I was raised differently. Again it wasn't about the lack of reward, it was the fact they hadn't been thankful at all. I can now see how taxi drivers ended up how they are.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sporadic

Quite true. Ever since I became a pseudo taxi driver (aka UberX), I'm understanding why taxi drivers think the way they think nowadays.

Getting long pings or trips to nowhere are a pain in my posterior (that was pre-filter times though), and was my reason for doing Eats only, I can stay within the inner city area without having to go too far out. But even now with the filter, I'm still not too inclined to go back onto X ever again :biggrin:

The police station process takes just as long as swinging around and dropping it back to the pax, depending on how close you are etc when you find the item etc. But in todays example, I wish I handed them in to my LOCAL police station.

Its all about customer service at the end of the day, I would be grateful if someone brought my items back, in this case ID/house keys had been part of them. So tossing the driver a $20 is nothing compared to getting all my cards reissued and house keys cut again. Let alone being locked out of the house!

But I guess I was raised differently. Again it wasn't about the lack of reward, it was the fact they hadn't been thankful at all. I can now see how taxi drivers ended up how they.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Santa

I was going to say what you've said but Man.. these guys are drinking too much Kool Aid with their "oh good costumer service, blah blah". So it's not even worth the effort to teach them anything else.

LevelX

these guys are drinking too much Kool Aid with their "oh good costumer service, blah blah". So it's not even worth the effort to teach them anything else.
haha well you better hope you never leave anything behind then.

But in AUSTRALIA we like to do things a bit different and help out a 'mate' when in need.