• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Lost items

Chisox1125

So if someone actually leaves something of importance, what all happens when the passenger asks for the item back?

Old Rocker

You take it to them.

You drop it off at your Uber office.

You drop it off at the local police station.

You can't find it.

You ask yourself how you would feel should the situation be reversed.

Contrary to what some say, there is no instance where it is legal to demand money or compensation in the form or reward, finder's fee, or 'holding fee,' in order to return the item to the owner. Doing so is extortion.

Keeping the item and not making a reasonable effort to return it is theft by finding.

Chisox1125

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was just wondering if we get paid to return the item if all steps have been followed by uber and the customer has been contacted

FlDriver

I was just wondering if we get paid to return the item if all steps have been followed by uber and the customer has been contacted
No. The rider should tip you for spending your own time and money returning the item that they forgot, but they typically don't.

PowerTrip

Clear the vehicle after every ride and you will not have that problem. You don't leave anybody on that bus do you? No - no pay from UBER, likely nothing from pax.
Have them come to you.

Chisox1125

Dropped her at the Oyster place in St Pete didn't even have a chance to look back there cause my next fare was two min away. I know the last time an item was left in my car I got a timely response from support, that was also the week day. Me personally if I lost my keys and an individual found them and was able to return em, I'd tip at minimum 20 bucks cause I know how much it costs to get these replaced.

Old Rocker

The Houston TNC regs state that we have to check the passenger compartment after every ride, but it's not always possible if you are dropping off in a travel lane.

HiFareLoRate

No more am I putting myself in my vehicle to return an item that was found. They want it back? Then come get it.
I'm fed up with wasting time and gas just so I can give the irresponsible POS their possession back.

My rule now: I report to Uber and wait.
Don't want to come get it? F'em.

Soco

Do the right thing 100% of the time. It's called Karma. Reasonable and normal adults can reach a reasonable and normal solution. If you THINK you are entitled to compensation for returning something, remember the last time YOU lost something that was given back. Did you tip them????

If necessary, drop it off at a police station but be sure to get a full name and date-of-birth for identification purposes.

Soco

Last week I score a bag of Jack links beef jerky. Tasty gave her a chance. But did not claim.
No way in purgatory am I eating anything that was left behind by a pax. If you end up in the hospital, you can't say you didn't deserve it.

Chisox1125

Im also not stupid, someone else's car keys and house keys do absolutely nothing for me. Wallet with cash and credit cards..."yes sir I have your wallet", "all I see is your credit cards and license, doesn't appear to have any cash in it." Now cash that's a different story. Uber reminds passengers to keep track of there belongings, I also tell my passengers to make sure they have everything.

rld0220

I tell every pax to make sure they have everything before they leave the car.

So far haven't had any items left in my car.. *knocks on wood*

Chisox1125

Luckily for me I was near where my passenger lived to drop there keys off. Wasn't working wasn't out of my way and they were thankful.