Lorena Gonzalez’s AB 5 Passes First Legislative Committee

Darth Vuber

Wednesday, April 3, 2019
SACRAMENTO —An effort by California State Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez (D-San Diego) to protect workers from employment misclassification passed its first major legislative hurdle on Wednesday when the Assembly Committee on Labor and Employment approved Assembly Bill 5 on a 5-0 vote.
Assemblywoman Gonzalez released the following statement after the committee passed AB 5:
“Today the California Legislature took the first step in making it clear: your business cannot operate in our state if you are using misclassification to game the system. As lawmakers, we will not in good conscience allow free-riding businesses to continue to pass their own business costs onto taxpayers and workers. It’s our job to look out for working men and women, not Wall Street and their get-rich-quick IPOs.”

SCdave

Whatever the outcome, in the long run, there will be a new definition of OnDemand Workers along with benefit packages, state/federal company/Corp. tax obligations re Drivers/Independent Contractors(ICs) , and workers comp equivalents.

In the short-term, OnDemand App Companies could either keep current OnDemand Workers as employees or change their Terms of Service(TIS) and App Features to comply with AB-5.

In the case of Uber/Lyft, they would first fight AB-5 (or continuing fighting), try to get compliance extended out as far into the future as possible, and worst case (for them) , change their TNC Driver TOS and Driver App to comply.

I would like to see Uber/Lyft keep Drivers as ICs, change the TOS and App, and compensate all Drivers by # of Trips/Online Mileage beyond the $0.11 per mile Arbitration group payout and scheduled $0.37 Opt-Out Settlement.

But what the f do I know. I still drive for Uba :frown:

Darth Vuber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So this pass is a good thing for us as long as it's not a full time employment? Just like New York City?
In NYC the City Council passed a series of bills, that were signed by the Mayor about rideshare. Minimum wage, and also limit number of drivers. This is only in NYC, not in The whole State of NY. NYC doesnt have the authoriy to classify Drives as IC or Employee only the state.
This bill if turned into Law would make everyone in the State of Ca rideshare employees. It still has a long process to go through. Uber and Lyft have nothing to do with this,they can try and fight whatever they want. This is the result of the Dynamex Lawsuit. They now are taking that ruling and trying to turn it into Law. If you want to be heard as Drivers, this is the time to act organize and contact your Assembly and Senate reps in the districts you live in, you are all voters and these are the people that represent you. Involve the media to ask the politicians the questions you have. Lorena Gonzales is the author of this bill, this is who you need to contact. Call or Email and tell them if you want this or not.
This is the process AB 5 it has to go through. It just passed committee vote.

Who remembers this ?

Driver_Down

Wednesday, April 3, 2019
SACRAMENTO —An effort by California State Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez (D-San Diego) to protect workers from employment misclassification passed its first major legislative hurdle on Wednesday when the Assembly Committee on Labor and Employment approved Assembly Bill 5 on a 5-0 vote.
Assemblywoman Gonzalez released the following statement after the committee passed AB 5:
“Today the California Legislature took the first step in making it clear: your business cannot operate in our state if you are using misclassification to game the system. As lawmakers, we will not in good conscience allow free-riding businesses to continue to pass their own business costs onto taxpayers and workers. It’s our job to look out for working men and women, not Wall Street and their get-rich-quick IPOs.”

Anyone else get link to the page, but the content is gone?

Darth Vuber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyone else get link to the page, but the content is gone?

UberIsAllFubared

I have said this for a long time, and I am sure some are tired of me being a broken record, but regulation is coming, and if these two idiot companies were smart, or actually wanted to make money instead of a pump and dump, they would welcome regulation, and actually court it. Get out in front of it before it actually cripples them.