• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Looking out for those who cant...

Benjamin M

I disagree. When you call the police you may be incriminating yourself. They may arrive and arrest you for something you did or inadvertently admitted to while you were trying your best to do the right thing. You may also cause a person you intended to help to go to jail. That lady you could have taken safely home but instead you called the police? Well they determined she was high on an illegal narcotic and had a felony quantity in her purse.

In a domestic violence call, in many states the police are obligated by law to arrest someone.

I rarely dial 911 except to report fires.
Can't agree with this at all, sorry.

However, he COULD have been arrested if she freaked out at some point and claimed she was being abducted.

Obligated to arrest someone?? Absolutely incorrect. In this case he would have not only helped this woman but could have also prevented this guy from doing the same thing again.

HotUberMess

Ah, so, the driver has a state license that he could lose because of his alleged illegal and unethical behavior?
And, the license entitles him to free defense if he rapes or delivers a person for rape?
I kinda doubt that, but, if you say so.

Don't you, at some point, need to ask WHY people look the other way?
It never used to be that way; at least not to the extent it is now.
Why has it changed?

This situation could go sideways for the Uber driver. Still could.
IF it does, he will need to write a retainer check to his attorney for at least $5k, maybe more, to defend him (and that's not counting bail).
IF that happens he will spend up to $50k to stay out of prison.
If he doesn't have that kind of money, he'll end up with a Public Defender ... and, he'll go to prison.
And, that happens all the time.

To save ... who? Someone who doesn't care about her own safety?
She counts on me to take care of her? A stranger?

Not this stranger.
I have all I can do to take care of me and mine.
Another thread, another dump you took all over it. Where do you find the time

Carblar

These stupid young women are putting themselves in bad situations getting shitfaced and leaving bars with strange guys or hopping in fake Ubers. There isn't always going to be someone around to save them from their poor decisions.
Young ladies, always travel in pairs or packs. Dont get out of control drunk in public. Dont dress like a ho and flirt and then assume 100% of men will take no for an answer when you decide you got you ego boost for the night and want to go home.

HotUberMess

These stupid young women are putting themselves in bad situations getting shitfaced and leaving bars with strange guys or hopping in fake Ubers. There isn't always going to be someone around to save them from their poor decisions.
Young ladies, always travel in pairs or packs. Dont get out of control drunk in public. Dont dress like a ho and flirt and then assume 100% of men will take no for an answer when you decide you got you ego boost for the night and want to go home.
Despite women in the middle east never drinking, or dressing like “hos”, or going out alone, they still get raped.

Why? Because none of those things cause rape. Women aren’t the problem.

Benjamin M

You don’t know how risky it was. Good Lord. The OP might be a black belt and the rapist 5’6?
Only takes a few pounds of force to squeeze a trigger. Can you outrun a bullet?

There's no way to sugarcoat this, it could have been a fatal encounter. I'm very glad that it wasn't but prefer to acknowledge the very real risks we face.

BigRedDriver

Only takes a few pounds of force to squeeze a trigger. Can you outrun a bullet?

There's no way to sugarcoat this, it could have been a fatal encounter. I'm very glad that it wasn't but prefer to acknowledge the very real risks we face.
Could have, maybe. Rapist have a strange habit though. They don’t do ANYTHING to draw attention to themselves.

At the point of the intervention, no crime was committed. Calling the Police would get you nowhere.

As the father of a daughter. I think this guy should get nothing but praise.

Benjamin M

Could have, maybe. Rapist have a strange habit though. They don’t do ANYTHING to draw attention to themselves.

At the point of the intervention, no crime was committed. Calling the Police would get you nowhere.

As the father of a daughter. I think this guy should get nothing but praise.
Let the police decide on the best action. She stated that she wasn't comfortable with this man and was intoxicated, that's enough reason to call in this situation.

And we get it, you're a father. I really hope you never do something stupid because of your fatherly protection.

Reactions: EX_

BigRedDriver

Let the police decide on the best action. She stated that she wasn't comfortable with this man and was intoxicated, that's enough reason to call in this situation.

And we get it, you're a father. I really hope you never do something stupid because of your fatherly protection.
Neither being intoxicated, nor being uncomfortable, or both are illegal. The police would do nothing.

And, if my fatherly instincts saves a WOMAN from potentially being RAPED. I choose stupid!

Benjamin M

Neither being intoxicated, nor being uncomfortable, or both are illegal. The police would do nothing.

And, if my fatherly instincts saves a WOMAN from potentially being RAPED. I choose stupid!
Police would ask her details about what happened, likely speak to the man, and assure everyone is safe. Maybe she was drugged? Maybe he had a history or warrant? We'll never know.

Tonight at 3:00 AM, or this morning, I picked up 2 PAX, male and female PAX. The address was local and 3 miles away. The pickup was a bar in Baltimore City. The male was not wasted but had a few, the girl was trashed. During the ride he is repeatedly telling and asking her that "she will have her own room" and her slurred and mumbling responses were "that she wanted to go home" and "she loves her boyfriend". After a repeated back and forth, i made a decision that she was not getting out of my car with him. When we got to the destination, she seemed just bit more lucid, the male PAX got out and walked around to open her door, in that time i turned around and asked "DO YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS CAR BECAUSE I DON`T THINK YOU DO!". She responded clearly, NO. So i locked the doors and rolled my window and told him that I was taking her home. He got angry, told me to butt out and so forth. Didn't phase me one bit. He yelled "well she has no money and no Uber and I am terminating the ride!". I told him no worries i will driver her for free!! Turns out that each was 30 miles and 30 min. She was scared and upset the entire ride. I got her home, told her boyfriend who in turn thanked me and gave me a $20. The best ride I have ever given, worth every penny even if he didn't pay me. But i still needed gas!!!
That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

It's hard enough being Black in America; no need to intervene in situations that don't involve me.

Benjamin M

too bad no one looks out for men like this
Plenty do. As I said in this thread, I was once one of them. And I could have been killed for getting in the middle of something bad without calling the cops.

There's doing the right thing and then there's placing yourself in danger. It's possible to help someone without taking a massive risk.

People call 911 for the most trivial crap. In this case, it would have been warranted.

Ultimately, none of us were there. It was the OP's decision (which I applaud to a point) and I am thankful that he's okay.

UberBastid

Bob walks into a public bathroom and notices a guy with no arms standing next to a urinal. As Bob takes care of his business, he wonders how the poor soul is going to take a leak. Bob finishes and heads for the door, but figures he should ask the man if he needs help.
''Oh yes please!?" the man cries. "You have a kind heart, sir,'' says the man with no arms.
But as Bob goes ahead, unzips the man, and pulls his willy out, he encounters all kinds of mold, red bumps, moles, scabs, scars, and other unpleasant-looking things. The armless man asks Bob to kindly point it... then shake it, put it back and zip it. So Bob, gathers his courage, shuts his eyes and does so.

''Thank you very much, sir!'' says the armless man.
''No problem,'' says Bob ''but what the hell is wrong with your penis?''
The guy pulls pulls his arms out of his shirt and says ''I don't know, but I ain't touching it!"

So, you see, you can go about your life being the Good Samaritan if you want, but you will accumulate a lot of crap, and bacteria and mold and red bumps and unpleasant-looking things. And you might even bring it home to people you really love.

Benjamin M

Bob walks into a public bathroom and notices a guy with no arms standing next to a urinal. As Bob takes care of his business, he wonders how the poor soul is going to take a leak. Bob finishes and heads for the door, but figures he should ask the man if he needs help.
''Oh yes please!?" the man cries. "You have a kind heart, sir,'' says the man with no arms.
But as Bob goes ahead, unzips the man, and pulls his willy out, he encounters all kinds of mold, red bumps, moles, scabs, scars, and other unpleasant-looking things. The armless man asks Bob to kindly point it... then shake it, put it back and zip it. So Bob, gathers his courage, shuts his eyes and does so.

''Thank you very much, sir!'' says the armless man.
''No problem,'' says Bob ''but what the hell is wrong with your penis?''
The guy pulls pulls his arms out of his shirt and says ''I don't know, but I ain't touching it!"

So, you see, you can go about your life being the Good Samaritan if you want, but you will accumulate a lot of crap, and bacteria and mold and red bumps and unpleasant-looking things. And you might even bring it home to people you really love.
Don't totally agree but that is hilarious 😂

Carblar

Despite women in the middle east never drinking, or dressing like “hos”, or going out alone, they still get raped.

Why? Because none of those things cause rape. Women aren’t the problem.
Please. I'm taking about being wise and staying out of bad situations. The drunk young woman who walked into a fake Uber put herself in a bad situation. She was careless likely because she was drunk and it got her killed. No one is saying it justifies murder or rape but it's just common sense to avoid putting yourself in bad situations. Don't make this a women can do no wrong issue. The fact that rapes happen in a multitude of situations does not mean that women cannot do some preventive measures such as the ones I outlined. I don't know why you would want to dismiss that as if me or anyone else would justify a rape I'm talking about reducing your chances of victimhood

Benjamin M

I agree with traveling in pairs and hopping into the wrong car. I have had that happen many times.

Last weekend I was hanging out with people and drinking. One of the chicks in the group didn't want to get hammered and decided to order Uber to go home. She was the most sober in the group but insisted that her girlfriend joined her to make sure that she got in the right car.

That's how things should be. I've had one man get into my car by accident, about eight women.

And one couple on Monday actually got into a car when the driver profile was a woman and the actual driver was a man - and drove recklessly. Rather than demand to exit, they brushed it off. Amazing.
Post automatically merged:

Please. I'm taking about being wise and staying out of bad situations. The drunk young woman who walked into a fake Uber put herself in a bad situation. She was careless likely because she was drunk and it got her killed. No one is saying it justifies murder or rape but it's just common sense to avoid putting yourself in bad situations. Don't make this a women can do no wrong issue. The fact that rapes happen in a multitude of situations does not mean that women cannot do some preventive measures such as the ones I outlined. I don't know why you would want to dismiss that as if me or anyone else would justify a rape I'm talking about reducing your chances of victimhood
Horrible murder but it is ultimately on her. She actually lived near where I grew up in Jersey.

That case also underlines the dangers of this whole thing on both sides. Getting into a stranger's car and letting a stranger into your car.

All we have on Uber for a pax is a name. And if you are intoxicated and don't pay attention, you're at risk as a pax.

Last edited:

Ssgcraig

Tonight at 3:00 AM, or this morning, I picked up 2 PAX, male and female PAX. The address was local and 3 miles away. The pickup was a bar in Baltimore City. The male was not wasted but had a few, the girl was trashed. During the ride he is repeatedly telling and asking her that "she will have her own room" and her slurred and mumbling responses were "that she wanted to go home" and "she loves her boyfriend". After a repeated back and forth, i made a decision that she was not getting out of my car with him. When we got to the destination, she seemed just bit more lucid, the male PAX got out and walked around to open her door, in that time i turned around and asked "DO YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS CAR BECAUSE I DON`T THINK YOU DO!". She responded clearly, NO. So i locked the doors and rolled my window and told him that I was taking her home. He got angry, told me to butt out and so forth. Didn't phase me one bit. He yelled "well she has no money and no Uber and I am terminating the ride!". I told him no worries i will driver her for free!! Turns out that each was 30 miles and 30 min. She was scared and upset the entire ride. I got her home, told her boyfriend who in turn thanked me and gave me a $20. The best ride I have ever given, worth every penny even if he didn't pay me. But i still needed gas!!!
Great story, good for you! I'm glad to see there are people with morals and that have the sense to do what is right.