• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Looking out for those who cant...

Edpink81

Tonight at 3:00 AM, or this morning, I picked up 2 PAX, male and female PAX. The address was local and 3 miles away. The pickup was a bar in Baltimore City. The male was not wasted but had a few, the girl was trashed. During the ride he is repeatedly telling and asking her that "she will have her own room" and her slurred and mumbling responses were "that she wanted to go home" and "she loves her boyfriend". After a repeated back and forth, i made a decision that she was not getting out of my car with him. When we got to the destination, she seemed just bit more lucid, the male PAX got out and walked around to open her door, in that time i turned around and asked "DO YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS CAR BECAUSE I DON`T THINK YOU DO!". She responded clearly, NO. So i locked the doors and rolled my window and told him that I was taking her home. He got angry, told me to butt out and so forth. Didn't phase me one bit. He yelled "well she has no money and no Uber and I am terminating the ride!". I told him no worries i will driver her for free!! Turns out that each was 30 miles and 30 min. She was scared and upset the entire ride. I got her home, told her boyfriend who in turn thanked me and gave me a $20. The best ride I have ever given, worth every penny even if he didn't pay me. But i still needed gas!!!

UberBastid

Tonight at 3:00 AM, or this morning, I picked up 2 PAX, male and female PAX. The address was local and 3 miles away. The pickup was a bar in Baltimore City. The male was not wasted but had a few, the girl was trashed. During the ride he is repeatedly telling and asking her that "she will have her own room" and her slurred and mumbling responses were "that she wanted to go home" and "she loves her boyfriend". After a repeated back and forth, i made a decision that she was not getting out of my car with him. When we got to the destination, she seemed just bit more lucid, the male PAX got out and walked around to open her door, in that time i turned around and asked "DO YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS CAR BECAUSE I DON`T THINK YOU DO!". She responded clearly, NO. So i locked the doors and rolled my window and told him that I was taking her home. He got angry, told me to butt out and so forth. Didn't phase me one bit. He yelled "well she has no money and no Uber and I am terminating the ride!". I told him no worries i will driver her for free!! Turns out that each was 30 miles and 30 min. She was scared and upset the entire ride. I got her home, told her boyfriend who in turn thanked me and gave me a $20. The best ride I have ever given, worth every penny even if he didn't pay me. But i still needed gas!!!
Then, her boyfriend beat the hell out of her for putting herself in that situation in the first place. She complained to the police and they tracked down the Uber driver and arrested him for delivering her to an abusive situation against her will in exchange for a monetary reward. The nice guy that she met at the bar told police that he tried to keep her from the situation, but the Uber driver locked the door to the car when he exited to help the lady from the car and sped away almost striking the good Samaritan. The lady says that she never told the Uber driver that she wanted to go home; and there were not witnesses to that statement.
The Uber driver and the abusive boyfriend are both currently being held in jail awaiting trial in lieu of bail in the amount of $500k, and the young ladies attorney says he is considering a suit against both Uber and the driver.
A GoFundMe page has been started to help the poor young lady through this difficult time.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Edpink81

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Then, her boyfriend beat the hell out of her for putting herself in that situation in the first place. She complained to the police and they tracked down the Uber driver and arrested him for delivering her to an abusive situation against her will in exchange for a monetary reward. The nice guy that she met at the bar told police that he tried to keep her from the situation, but the Uber driver locked the door to the car when he exited to help the lady from the car and sped away almost striking the good Samaritan. The lady says that she never told the Uber driver that she wanted to go home; and there were not witnesses to that statement.
The Uber driver and the abusive boyfriend are both currently being held in jail awaiting trial in lieu of bail in the amount of $500k, and the young ladies attorney says he is considering a suit against both Uber and the driver.
A GoFundMe page has been started to help the poor young lady through this difficult time.

No good deed goes unpunished.
Post automatically merged:

Plus said Uber driver is licensed therapist for substance abuse and domestic violence and has the state backing him with state government attorneys. Said Uber driver would chance all those consequences than let that girl get out of my car. Plus said Uber driver called boyfriend and talked to him before driving and even called local police non-emergency with my license number and reported situation.

I know your post was a bit of joke but rings true and causes others to look the other way when ppl need help. We all would win in the court of public opinion 😉

Last edited by a moderator:

No Prisoners

You saved someone's daughter. Thank you.

UberBastid

I know your post was a bit of joke but rings true and causes others to look the other way when ppl need help.
Ah, so, the driver has a state license that he could lose because of his alleged illegal and unethical behavior?
And, the license entitles him to free defense if he rapes or delivers a person for rape?
I kinda doubt that, but, if you say so.

Don't you, at some point, need to ask WHY people look the other way?
It never used to be that way; at least not to the extent it is now.
Why has it changed?

This situation could go sideways for the Uber driver. Still could.
IF it does, he will need to write a retainer check to his attorney for at least $5k, maybe more, to defend him (and that's not counting bail).
IF that happens he will spend up to $50k to stay out of prison.
If he doesn't have that kind of money, he'll end up with a Public Defender ... and, he'll go to prison.
And, that happens all the time.

To save ... who? Someone who doesn't care about her own safety?
She counts on me to take care of her? A stranger?

Not this stranger.
I have all I can do to take care of me and mine.

Bobbyk5487

Captain is the worst job you can have these days....i had a opposite situation...they were both drunk the girl worst than the guy...but she was all over him but I guess he wasn't in the mood....he gets out and left her in the car after I ended the trip....she then turns her affection to me...which I told her no thanks even tho she was a sexy lady....and finally I downloaded square card reader and took her to another dude house and he swiped his card for 15 bucks....

gambler1621

The OP did the "right thing", but put himself in extreme jeopardy in the process. I commend you for your actions.

"As a person certified and licensed to teach self defense", there are better ways to of handled the situation. As soon as the car was moving, you should of called 911, not the non-emergency number. You and the woman were in jeopardy at that point, you just didn't realize it. The boyfriend could of got in a vehicle, or worse, called his friends and come and chased you down, or pulled out a gun and shot you on-the-spot. A beating would of been the "best result" you could of hoped for.

The police would of met you at a safe place nearby or directed you to them. You could of then explained the situation to them and they would of taken charge. They would of taken her into protective custody or driven her home after determining if it was safe to do so. They would of also determined if she had been drugged or assaulted in any way and preserved any evidence of any crimes that were committed. If she was assaulted, she would of been referred to appropriate counseling and medical care.

I hope the situation was exactly what you thought it was. It could of been something different. Under the best case, you saved a young lady. Let's just hope that you didn't allow a serial rapist to continue his crimes after "almost getting caught".

I had a bad situation happen when I picked up a street prostitute at a multi-million dollar home. I will just say that I was looking over my shoulder to make sure her pimp didn't come hunt me down. I could of done some things differently in that situation.

Let's use these as lessons learned so we all go home at the end of our shifts and hopefully do some good if needed. We are the "invisible eyes" that everyone else overlooks. If we get the chance to "do the right thing", let's make sure we do it right with minimal risk.

UberBastid

The OP did the "right thing", but put himself in extreme jeopardy in the process. I commend you for your actions.
Sorry, but, I gotta disagree with this ...
It is my PRIMARY concern to take care of my family first.
I can't provide for my wife and kids and grandkids if I'm sitting in jail spending their college tuition money to get out of jail.
By taking this kind of action, I am risking the future of a lot of innocent people who depend on me - to protect someone who just doesn't give a damn about their own security.
Not me.
I might drop a dime to 911 -- if I could do it anonymously.

Benjamin M

Great story and I applaud you for doing something. But..

Drive to a safe place and call 911. You put yourself in enormous danger here, both legally and physically.

She could have claimed that you were abducting her, the guy could have chased you (or just shot you immediately), the boyfriend could have flipped out seeing you arriving with his hammered girlfriend, etc.

This is the second such story I've seen here in that should have gone "so this crazy shit happened. I called 911 down the road."

I know your post was a bit of joke but rings true and causes others to look the other way when ppl need help. We all would win in the court of public opinion 😉
This is why we have police. You should understand that better than anyone.

Seamus

You can read through the replies to this thread and pretty much can tell who is a Father to daughters and who is not. I believe most woman automatically have enough sense that they would not let this young lady be taken advantage of as she is clearly in danger. Men on the other hand can be colder and less empathetic.

If you are a father of a young woman, the first thing you think of when you read the OP's post is "what if that were my daughter". I have 2 daughters (and 2 sons) and would hope that someone who is as honorable as the OP would have the courage to intervene in their safety. I would do the same in an instant as I'm sure most Fathers would.

All the nonsense about you could be falsely accused of kidnapping, etc. etc. is BS. You have a dashcam so stop with the what ifs. If you don't have a dashcam you're just an idiot.

Thanks to the OP for having the courage and honor to do what is right for that young woman. As a father I can only hope if either of my daughters is ever in trouble and I'm not around, there is a man such as you who will step in and do what is right.

Benjamin M

All the nonsense about you could be falsely accused of kidnapping, etc. etc. is BS. You have a dashcam so stop with the what ifs. If you don't have a dashcam you're just an idiot.
Sorry, fact is that this could have gone south big time. While he was great for helping her and leaving the situation, things should have been handled differently. Namely calling 911 immediately after she said that she was uncomfortable.

To be fair, I once made a similar mistake that could have cost me my life. I was driving (long before I started Uber) and spotted an elderly woman on the side of the road with a walker, sitting on the shoulder crying.

I stopped to ask what was wrong, apparently she had been fighting with her son and his girlfriend and they pushed her out of the house, after threatening to beat her. She said that her sister was on the way to pick her up, I assumed from somewhere close - turned out to be 40 minutes away.

I helped her into my car to wait (thinking it would only be a few minutes) and got her calmed down. Then her son came out looking for her. He was agitated and spotted her in my backseat.

As he approached, I noticed that he had a full size handgun on his hip (after I asked his mother if he had any guns and she said no). He asked what the hell I was doing (great question) and I said that we were just waiting for the sister, it was too hot for her to be outside. Thankfully, he went back inside but stared at me through the window.

I did the right thing by stopping to help. I was a total moron for not immediately calling 911 and could have been shot right then and there by this obviously unstable man in the middle of a domestic situation.

Do the right thing but don't be stupid. I also had a dash cam at the time, would have gotten his good side as he shot me - I'd still be dead.

Seamus

Sorry, fact is that this could have gone south big time. While he was great for helping her and leaving the situation, things should have been handled differently. Namely calling 911 immediately after she said that she was uncomfortable.

To be fair, I once made a similar mistake that could have cost me my life. I was driving (long before I started Uber) and spotted an elderly woman on the side of the road with a walker, sitting on the shoulder crying.

I stopped to ask what was wrong, apparently she had been fighting with her son and his girlfriend and they pushed her out of the house, after threatening to beat her. She said that her sister was on the way to pick her up, I assumed from somewhere close - turned out to be 40 minutes away.

I helped her into my car to wait (thinking it would only be a few minutes) and got her calmed down. Then her son came out looking for her. He was agitated and spotted her in my backseat.

As he approached, I noticed that he had a full size handgun on his hip (after I asked his mother if he had any guns and she said no). He asked what the hell I was doing (great question) and I said that we were just waiting for the sister, it was too hot for her to be outside. Thankfully, he went back inside but stared at me through the window.

I did the right thing by stopping to help. I was a total moron for not immediately calling 911 and could have been shot right then and there by this obviously unstable man in the middle of a domestic situation.

Do the right thing but don't be stupid. I also had a dash cam at the time, would have gotten his good side as he shot me - I'd still be dead.
You are way off on this one Ben. You are comparing Apples to Oranges. We are not talking about a domestic incident we are talking about an incapacitated girl being taken advantage of who is already in your car. NOT a family quarrel. Re read the OP your situation was different.

Maybe some day if you ever become a Father you will understand.

Benjamin M

You are way off on this one Ben. You are comparing Apples to Oranges. We are not talking about a domestic incident we are talking about an incapacitated girl who is already in your car NOT a family quarrel. Re read the OP your situation is different.

Maybe some day if you ever become a Father you will understand.
Not way off in the slightest. The woman was in my car when I finally figured out what was happening. In both situations, there was the possibility of violence.

Spare me the "if you were a father you would understand" stuff. People get shot over way less than this and police should have been involved in both cases.

Don't let your sense of purpose get you killed or arrested, I beg of you. Especially not doing this gig. It's not worth it. Do the smart thing and call the police.

Seamus

Not way off in the slightest. The woman was in my car when I finally figured out what was happening. In both situations, there was the possibility of violence.

Spare me the "if you were a father you would understand" stuff. People get shot over way less than this and police should have been involved in both cases.

Don't let your sense of purpose get you killed or arrested, I beg of you. Especially not doing this gig. It's not worth it. Do the smart thing and call the police.
SMH, in your desire for attention you are telling your own story which does NOT correlate to the OP. This isn't about YOU! Stop talking about yourself long enough to understand the OP.