looking for some answers

GL1800SK

1. is it possible to change a passenger rating after they have already been rated? Alot of times the tip shows up later, so giving them a low rating for not tipping cash is not the right thing to do.
  2. If I wanted to drive in a different city, like when visiting family, (in the same state) can I Uber up there too?
just a couple of quick questions that hopefully will get some quick answers.....

Thanks.

Oscar Levant

1. is it possible to change a passenger rating after they have already been rated? Alot of times the tip shows up later, so giving them a low rating for not tipping cash is not the right thing to do.
  2. If I wanted to drive in a different city, like when visiting family, (in the same state) can I Uber up there too?
just a couple of quick questions that hopefully will get some quick answers.....

Thanks.

Yes, just call the support number. I've done this. Once I accidentally rated them with a 3 and I meant 5. They will do it. Or, at least, they used to. (have your trip info in front of you, and it helps to have the rider's name) Your mileage may vary :smiles:

I would never rate a passenger low if didn't give me a tip, in my view, that is just plain wrong. You have no inherent right to a tip, it's a gift, and how can you ethically rate someone low for not gifting you? You realize that in some cultures, tipping is just not done, like in Australia, many Aussies don't tip, it's not their custom, so you are going to penalize them? Is that fair and just? I don't think so. You need to rethink this.

I'm able to drive anywhere in SoCal, and I've done it. UberBlack San Diegans cannot go north of the county.

Last edited:

FLKeys

I would never rate a passenger low if didn't give me a tip, in my view, that is just plain wrong. You have no inherent right to a tip, it's a gift, and how can you ethically rate someone low for not gifting you? You realize that in some cultures, tipping is just not done, like in Australia, many Aussies don't tip, it's not their custom, so you are going to penalize them? Is that fair and just? I don't think so. You need to rethink this.

I agree with you, although reading around here low ratings for cash tip seems to be common. What ever, I treat everyone with the respect I expect and if I get tipped, well that is just a bonus.

DriverMark

I don't really understand the low star rating for non cash tip PAX.

Is the hope that eventually you will 3* or less all the non-tippers leaving you with only tippers? Which I would think would take years of driving to get to that point. And then how many rides a day are you actually going to get? I'm lucky to get 1-2 cash tips a month here! I would have zero riders. App tips, standard about 10% PAX.

PAX getting the low rating from the driver have no clue why they got a low rating, so you aren't teaching them anything. Just like drivers have no clue.

I suppose being in a large market with unlimited rider potential not a big deal. Here in a smaller market I do see repeat Pax from time to time. Even then, how many repeat riders do we see? Very few. So cutting out that non-tipper you most likely weren't going to see them again anyway. Just like the person that cash tipped you probably won't ever see them again either.

So what's the point? Getting a little dig and some type of satisfaction at a non-tipper? Maybe their ratting will drop that they have hard time getting a ride?

It's been posted that if you down star to much Uber/Lyft stop adding your rating. Don't know if that is true or not, but if so, then again, it's pointless rating.

But to each his own I guess. If anything, it's Uber's fault in the first place for setting the bar that Pax don't need to tip.

SuzeCB

Thanks.
1. No.

2. Depends on the state. For example, NJ is one market with 2 zones. NJ drivers can drive all over NJ. NY is different. NYC drivers are only allowed to pick up within the 5 boroughs unless it's a ride going back to the 5 boroughs. The rest of NY State drivers can pick up most places in the state, but not NYC.

NY State drivers and PA drivers can pick up in NJ, but NJ drivers can't pickup in NY or PA.

In short, you have to give Uber the details and let them answer. Go into the GLH to get your answer. Rohit in the app or on the phone isn't going to know for sure.