Looking for an uber/lyft driver for regular rides with naval base pass

MoonlightDrive

Hi, looking for a San Diego Uber or Lyft driver to help solve a particular problem and in the process get a regular, good ride at least three times a week.

The problem:

My 92 yr old Grandmother loves to go dancing. She goes two or three times a week to the 32nd Street Naval Station in San Diego where her dancing group meets. Currently she has to drive by herself at night from Coronado over the bridge to the 32nd st Naval Station in San Diego because she doesn't know anyone else that has a base pass (to get into the naval base) who can drive her. No one else in the dancing group lives in Coronado. So far she has been unable to find anyone in the dancing group who can give her a ride from her house in Coronado to the Naval base and back at night.

I am looking for an Uber or Lyft driver with a naval base pass so that the driver could drive my Grandmother to the base and pick her up later that night. It would be a regular gig, two or three times a week round trip. Any driver could take her to the main gate but she needs to be dropped off near the bowling alley on the base, which is too far for her to walk to from the main gate.

My family and I are very concerned about my 92 yrd old Grandmother driving at night, especially over the Coronado Bridge into San Diego near National City which is a bad part of town. What makes her drive especially perilous are all the drunk / reckless drivers at night on the bridge.

Also she will be giving up driving when her driver's license renews in September. So after September she will be in need of a driver much more frequently.

We can teach her how to use the Uber or Lyft app on her phone. She actually does amazingly well for her age with computers and uses Facebook, email, Google maps, etc on a daily basis.

She would prefer a female driver but would also consider a male driver as well. Thanks.

Null

No direct help here, but some issues:

- Lyft will stop matching drivers/passengers that match too frequently. Requests will simply bypass rider/driver combos at a certain point, not sure what the threshold is, but for example the lyft app won't match me with my wife or former roommate and select friends. Uber doesn't have this problem. However, I would say that Lyft is out of the question for this.

- Technically even if you have base access, you're NOT supposed to use it in connection with Uber/Lyft or other commercial activity. You can probably do it incognito and be fine, but could result in trouble for the driver or your grandma if it were to ever be an issue. The Navy guards have major sticks up their ass for these kinds of things.

- The route you mentioned is extremely low paying and you're asking a lot. We would need to deadhead (drive without pay) to Coronado from whereever we are prior to her pickup time, pick up your grandma, pick her up, drop her off at base... we'd make about ~$3.50 for this after Uber/Lyft fees. Then, when she's ready to go, we'd need to drive from wherever we happen to be (which could be anywhere between Oceanside, Alpine and Chula vista) to drive her back. U/L only pay well when we do a sequence of rides close together and close to where we drop people off, having to reposition costs us money in expenses and opportunity costs.

What you're looking for is really an Uber Black or similar TCP service and specifically someone with base access. The rates on these are significantly higher, but you're going to be more likely to find a driver willing to do this for you because of this. However, I assume you're trying to use lower end U/L services for the cost savings. You might find a driver willing to do it for a cash rate per week in addition to the ride. However, most U/L drivers are not professional drivers, punctuality and reliability may not be a strong suit given that this gig is supposed to be on demand. TCP drivers (Uber Black, etc.) generally know other TCP drivers, who can take the job if they are unable to and are more likely to take a commitment to your gma seriously (for the right pay).

My only thought is you need to coordinate something with 32nd st base, perhaps Navy security or the dance organization can put together something for you from the gate forward. This will allow gma to use ANY U/L driver on demand.

This is actually a somewhat complex logistical problem. You need gma's driver to be reliable and incentivized to show up, but also need someone not only willing to do the job, but also with base access. Full time TCP drivers will be more reliable, but their high end cars and professional attire are more likely to give away that there's disallowed commercial activity happening.

Also, female drivers are -RARE- your combination of requirements probably puts your pursuit in the realm of impossible.

UberEsq

Hi, looking for a San Diego Uber or Lyft driver to help solve a particular problem and in the process get a regular, good ride at least three times a week.

The problem:

My 92 yr old Grandmother loves to go dancing. She goes two or three times a week to the 32nd Street Naval Station in San Diego where her dancing group meets. Currently she has to drive by herself at night from Coronado over the bridge to the 32nd st Naval Station in San Diego because she doesn't know anyone else that has a base pass (to get into the naval base) who can drive her. No one else in the dancing group lives in Coronado. So far she has been unable to find anyone in the dancing group who can give her a ride from her house in Coronado to the Naval base and back at night.

I am looking for an Uber or Lyft driver with a naval base pass so that the driver could drive my Grandmother to the base and pick her up later that night. It would be a regular gig, two or three times a week round trip. Any driver could take her to the main gate but she needs to be dropped off near the bowling alley on the base, which is too far for her to walk to from the main gate.

My family and I are very concerned about my 92 yrd old Grandmother driving at night, especially over the Coronado Bridge into San Diego near National City which is a bad part of town. What makes her drive especially perilous are all the drunk / reckless drivers at night on the bridge.

Also she will be giving up driving when her driver's license renews in September. So after September she will be in need of a driver much more frequently.

We can teach her how to use the Uber or Lyft app on her phone. She actually does amazingly well for her age with computers and uses Facebook, email, Google maps, etc on a daily basis.

She would prefer a female driver but would also consider a male driver as well. Thanks.

This will be essentially impossible to accomplish. All the best to Grandma, though.

NCRBILL

A few questions I have.

1. Where are the classes held within the base. Dry side or Wet side?

2. Where do you or other family live at?

3. If she has an ID card she can ride with the driver and get on base. Now with that being said, this really depends on the guard who is working that day. As mentioned above, some of them, mostly the civilian ones, can be a total di$k when you try to drop off.

Good luck and hope you find someone

Gabriel Quijas

Nobody in your family lives close enough to do this for Grandma? Let us know if any drivers step up to fill the void. Just tell G-Ma to fire up the Lyft Line or Uber Pool. Or maybe you all can pony up a little more and G-Ma can use a Taxi.

MoonlightDrive

No direct help here, but some issues:

- Lyft will stop matching drivers/passengers that match too frequently. Requests will simply bypass rider/driver combos at a certain point, not sure what the threshold is, but for example the lyft app won't match me with my wife or former roommate and select friends. Uber doesn't have this problem. However, I would say that Lyft is out of the question for this.

- Technically even if you have base access, you're NOT supposed to use it in connection with Uber/Lyft or other commercial activity. You can probably do it incognito and be fine, but could result in trouble for the driver or your grandma if it were to ever be an issue. The Navy guards have major sticks up their ass for these kinds of things.

- The route you mentioned is extremely low paying and you're asking a lot. We would need to deadhead (drive without pay) to Coronado from whereever we are prior to her pickup time, pick up your grandma, pick her up, drop her off at base... we'd make about ~$3.50 for this after Uber/Lyft fees. Then, when she's ready to go, we'd need to drive from wherever we happen to be (which could be anywhere between Oceanside, Alpine and Chula vista) to drive her back. U/L only pay well when we do a sequence of rides close together and close to where we drop people off, having to reposition costs us money in expenses and opportunity costs.

What you're looking for is really an Uber Black or similar TCP service and specifically someone with base access. The rates on these are significantly higher, but you're going to be more likely to find a driver willing to do this for you because of this. However, I assume you're trying to use lower end U/L services for the cost savings. You might find a driver willing to do it for a cash rate per week in addition to the ride. However, most U/L drivers are not professional drivers, punctuality and reliability may not be a strong suit given that this gig is supposed to be on demand. TCP drivers (Uber Black, etc.) generally know other TCP drivers, who can take the job if they are unable to and are more likely to take a commitment to your gma seriously (for the right pay).

My only thought is you need to coordinate something with 32nd st base, perhaps Navy security or the dance organization can put together something for you from the gate forward. This will allow gma to use ANY U/L driver on demand.

This is actually a somewhat complex logistical problem. You need gma's driver to be reliable and incentivized to show up, but also need someone not only willing to do the job, but also with base access. Full time TCP drivers will be more reliable, but their high end cars and professional attire are more likely to give away that there's disallowed commercial activity happening.

Also, female drivers are -RARE- your combination of requirements probably puts your pursuit in the realm of impossible.

Good points. Thanks for the reply.

A few questions I have.

1. Where are the classes held within the base. Dry side or Wet side?

2. Where do you or other family live at?

3. If she has an ID card she can ride with the driver and get on base. Now with that being said, this really depends on the guard who is working that day. As mentioned above, some of them, mostly the civilian ones, can be a total di$k when you try to drop off.

Good luck and hope you find someone

1. Not sure. Its in the bowling alley facility.

2. I'm in Vegas. There's family in San Diego, including a Navy EOD guy, but he's at a different base and can't get an extra base pass for 32nd street. Also, I'm told that for various reasons security is much tighter at 32nd street now and its harder to get base passes.

3. We've asked and have been told that the driver has to have a pass, in addition to her pass.

Thanks.

MoonlightDrive

Nobody in your family lives close enough to do this for Grandma? Let us know if any drivers step up to fill the void. Just tell G-Ma to fire up the Lyft Line or Uber Pool. Or maybe you all can pony up a little more and G-Ma can use a Taxi.

Money is not the issue. My understanding is that Taxis need to have a base pass to get on 32nd street base. Other bases may be different. Its probably not an issue for Navy people to walk from the main gate to wherever they need to go. I've actually tried to contact a couple of taxi companies. They are not very helpful. Prefer U/L anyway.

NCRBILL

1. Not sure. Its in the bowling alley facility.

2. I'm in Vegas. There's family in San Diego, including a Navy EOD guy, but he's at a different base and can't get an extra base pass for 32nd street. Also, I'm told that for various reasons security is much tighter at 32nd street now and its harder to get base passes.

3. We've asked and have been told that the driver has to have a pass, in addition to her pass.

Thanks.

1. That’s on the dry side.

2. There is a big difference between the wet side and dry side.

3. That is so far from the truth! I’ve had my son drive me in his car to the bases. He does not have an id as he is too old. They ask for my id and his drivers license.

You are going to run up against problems no matter what. There are some gate guards who have a hard on for anyone they can screw with. They are always right no matter what. You can’t win because the time it would take to fight it isn’t worth it.

Maybe Coronado city has something she can go to. Would be so much easier.

lyftbickle

I went to a bowling tournament at that bowling alley once, and my name was on a list, and I drove right on with a car full of people, who I think were also on the list. Maybe you can talk to someone there about putting a driver on a list, you might have to do it individually each day, but its a thought.

switmer

Did you ever find a driver with base access? I am looking for a driver with base access for a week in April.