• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Looking for advice!!

Unknown007

Hey, I just shifted to Long Island as in the edge of Queens and Beginning of Long Island. To be precise Bellerose. I do have a Toyota Rav 4 2006 model and done 85000 miles. I am the second owner and I always maintain in through Toyota since the previous owner did the same.

Any how I have a few questions. I already spoke to Uber and they said I can still do ride share in long island but not anywhere else as I need a TLC. But given the chances my car will become 15 years old and then in all possibility I might need to get a new car as in a pre used or so. Currently I use the car for deliveries using Grub Hub or Door Dash and make about avg 150 to 170 a day. Since am single. The money is enough for me.

Now the question is would it be advisable to change the car soon and register the car for Uber as in will I still be making the same or more as I will drive in Long island only or it is advisable to rent a car out, am not talking about rent a cars. Am talking about those guys who already have their cars registered for Uber and I drive for them and pay them weekly or so. If there is any company or person in long island also it would be appreciatable. And btw I also have a TLC license and my both licenses are over a year old.

John M Santana

You can't pick-up in the Five Boroughs, but can drop-off there. You can pick-up and drop-off in NYC suburbs (Long Island, Westchester, Orange, Putnam, and western Connecticut); not just Long Island.

Please don't rely on rideshare and food delivery gigs for full-time income. The writing's on the wall, and these are only good for pocket money, after the cost of wear-and-tear, maintenance and depreciation of the vehicle, as well as moving and parking violation tickets that everyone incurs at least once doing this crap.

Wishing you good fortune and luck in your quest, regardless.

Unknown007

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can't pick-up in the Five Boroughs, but can drop-off there. You can pick-up and drop-off in NYC suburbs (Long Island, Westchester, Orange, Putnam, and western Connecticut); not just Long Island.

Please don't rely on rideshare and food delivery gigs for full-time income. The writing's on the wall, and these are only good for pocket money, after the cost of wear-and-tear, maintenance and depreciation of the vehicle, as well as moving and parking violation tickets that everyone incurs at least once doing this crap.

Wishing you good fortune and luck in your quest, regardless.
That I am aware of as in using on how it works on long island. That's why am concerned as should I get a pre owned car and continue or would it be better to hire a car weekly, not rent one, and then use it.

I have been delivering for the past one year and till date have got 2 violations as in parking tickets as I drive safe as needed. But thank you.

islanddriver

From what I understand from other drivers it costs about $500. A week to rent a car for Uber. The only way I see it is you would have to do nycity and work at least.14 hours a day.

Hey, I just shifted to Long Island as in the edge of Queens and Beginning of Long Island. To be precise Bellerose. I do have a Toyota Rav 4 2006 model and done 85000 miles. I am the second owner and I always maintain in through Toyota since the previous owner did the same.

Any how I have a few questions. I already spoke to Uber and they said I can still do ride share in long island but not anywhere else as I need a TLC. But given the chances my car will become 15 years old and then in all possibility I might need to get a new car as in a pre used or so. Currently I use the car for deliveries using Grub Hub or Door Dash and make about avg 150 to 170 a day. Since am single. The money is enough for me.

Now the question is would it be advisable to change the car soon and register the car for Uber as in will I still be making the same or more as I will drive in Long island only or it is advisable to rent a car out, am not talking about rent a cars. Am talking about those guys who already have their cars registered for Uber and I drive for them and pay them weekly or so. If there is any company or person in long island also it would be appreciatable. And btw I also have a TLC license and my both licenses are over a year old.
I drive in the suburbs only in NY. I started out doing full time. Now it's just during rush hour and some weekend nights. There's no way anyone can keep doing uber or lyft in the suburbs and make a decent living. I switched to Doordash and ubereats. I do Ubereats in Queens now and am much happier. I would say keep doing Uber eats and run the car to the ground first. When you're ready for a new one, just finance it rather than lease it and do Uber Eats/Doordash or even Instacart if you can, and Uber X during rush hour.

Good luck.

John M Santana

That I am aware of as in using on how it works on long island. That's why am concerned as should I get a pre owned car and continue or would it be better to hire a car weekly, not rent one, and then use it.

I have been delivering for the past one year and till date have got 2 violations as in parking tickets as I drive safe as needed. But thank you.
OK, because, when I read your original post, you'd stated that Uber'd said that you can Uber on Long Island only and nowhere else, and, from that sentence, wasn't sure if you were aware that you could pick up in the northern suburbs as well.

Good luck.

islanddriver

you really can't finance a car to do Uber any kind of ubering because it's considered commercial most banks and finance companies won't give you a personal loan on the vehicle for financial have to finance it as a commercial vehicle otherwise you'd be in defaulted loan and they can call it do it anytime. Social considered bank fraud the finance a car on the personal use it for commercial stop notifying the bank.

you really can't finance a car to do Uber any kind of ubering because it's considered commercial most banks and finance companies won't give you a personal loan on the vehicle for financial have to finance it as a commercial vehicle otherwise you'd be in defaulted loan and they can call it do it anytime. Social considered bank fraud the finance a car on the personal use it for commercial stop notifying the bank.
Yes you can. I have specifically financed from the dealership letting the dealer know I will be doing Uber on it. I don't do TLC so i don't need a commercial license. My 2 other friends however have TLC license and TLC plates and they financed a car just to do Uber in NYC. Honda dealership, brand new cars. Yes you can.

islanddriver

Uber sent out a notice on this 6 months ago. And said to check with your bank. Because most loans are for personal and banks consider it commercial if you rideshare. I would check with bank and not just dealer. Dealer will say anything to sell car. Or check your finance agreement.

Unknown007

Do NOT purchase a new car for Uber/Lyft. Use that Rav 4. Mine is a 2007 Altima with 310,000 miles.
Well it won't be a new car. It will be a pre owned or something which hasn't gone over 15 years. As per Ubers policy for long island. Your car can be 15 years old but not older than that. My car is from 2006 so do the math which is why I asked would it be better to get pre owned vehicle, not like the one from show rooms but someone who is selling his or her car on Craigslist etc or will it be wise to rent out as in get a car with say TLC plates and pay weekly and then use that car.
Post automatically merged:

Post automatically merged:

Yes you can. I have specifically financed from the dealership letting the dealer know I will be doing Uber on it. I don't do TLC so i don't need a commercial license. My 2 other friends however have TLC license and TLC plates and they financed a car just to do Uber in NYC. Honda dealership, brand new cars. Yes you can.
Brand new car is like too much for me to maintain for me due to insurance will be high, since my license is just 1 year old. I rather not have a pre owned also from a dealership but look for a second hand car as in owner selling it. Or go to those companies in long island who rent out weekly

Last edited:

Unknown007

How
I drive in the suburbs only in NY. I started out doing full time. Now it's just during rush hour and some weekend nights. There's no way anyone can keep doing uber or lyft in the suburbs and make a decent living. I switched to Doordash and ubereats. I do Ubereats in Queens now and am much happier. I would say keep doing Uber eats and run the car to the ground first. When you're ready for a new one, just finance it rather than lease it and do Uber Eats/Doordash or even Instacart if you can, and Uber X during rush hour.

Good luck.
How much do u make a week in queens if you don't mind me asking and how many hours per day?
Thanks

islanddriver

part of the problem with financing or leasing an automobile for Uber or Lyft is unless you have commercial insurance or rideshare insurance your in violation of your finance agreement because they require you to have comprehensive collision on the car at all times and when you're doing Uberor lift you don't have it on the car during stage 1one because they Uber and Lyftdon't cover you in stage 1 for comprehensive.

USMCX

Well it won't be a new car. It will be a pre owned or something which hasn't gone over 15 years. As per Ubers policy for long island. Your car can be 15 years old but not older than that. My car is from 2006 so do the math which is why I asked would it be better to get pre owned vehicle, not like the one from show rooms but someone who is selling his or her car on Craigslist etc or will it be wise to rent out as in get a car with say TLC plates and pay weekly and then use that car.
If there's nothing wrong with the 2006 Rav 4, then you'd be an idiot to get another car. Toyotas are usually the most reliable out there. 85,000 miles is nothing. You can easily run 3-500,000 miles on one.Change your own oil and other fluids and you'll have a cheap, reliable car that is comfortable to ride in. Who cares if it's 13-14 years old? Wait two more years, Uber will be so desperate for drivers by then that they will allow you to drive anything.